cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a 2018 BMW X5...help please!

cjclay15
Explorer
Explorer
Hey ya'll! My name is Cinnamon and while I am not new to RVing (thank you Grampa, Uncle Irwin, and Uncle Jerry ❤️ ) I am new to living in one. I'll be calling a RV home for majority of the year since I am a travel nurse and it's easier to bring my house with me rather than find new housing at every location I go to. I have not yet purchased one but I am actively looking.

Before I can purchase my RV I need to add a towing package to my SUV. I have been doing my own research, but I have a question. Which trailer hitch package would be the best? One that is pre-wired or one that I need to buy my own wiring kit? Anyone with experience with a BMW and towing a trailer have any advice? I am pretty good with wiring and working with my hands, so ease of installation isn't really an issue.
16 REPLIES 16

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cinnamon, Torkliftcentral.com has the hitch and trailer wiring converter for your vehicle. If you live on or near the west coast they can do the install for you. Good luck.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having done your own research, you probably know of hitches available. I think BMW has a class 3 for the X5. The only way to get a prewired pkg, is to have it factory installed. If you are good with automotive wiring, you can add your own.

Keep your trailer purchase sized to SUV capability. While it appears you can tow about 6K, that may not mean a high walled TT. Your SUV shows just under 1K lbs of payload, so another consideration is tongue wt of TT.

Good luck with your new experience!

Jerry