cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lance max/ af 1150 question

Ernie_Fergler
Explorer
Explorer
For those familiar with the lance 981 or af 1150, Im wondering if either of these are usable with the slide in. By usable, I mean accessable for quick lunch / bathroom breaks. Ive only seen these campers through photos with the slide extended, and cant determine what they look like closed up. I called both dealers and asked. First dealer responded "no idea". Second one responded "I spose you could". Not too many TC knowlegable dealers in the midwest. Both of these campers are 2005 models and are 280 miles from me, seperate dealerships, 40 miles apart. Difficult to look at both in 1 day, 1 trip. Would like to hear comments on both of these campers from former/ current owners. Ive owned a class c, and 2 5th wheels, but the only things I know about TC's, is what Ive learned from the guys on this forum. So thank you all for what I think I know.
2016 Ram 3500 dually, Aisen, 4.10 gear, 4x4, 8 ft bed
2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2013 arctic fox 990>"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
11 REPLIES 11

Buolds
Explorer
Explorer
Ernie, I've had the 981 since new, and yes, you can get in and out when slide is in, however it's tight. I'm not a small person and do it all the time to use the restroom, grab a drink etc. It's not "useable" in the sense of living in it that way, although I have in a couple situations. Hope this helps.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ernie, seems about the going rate.
Plus the better TCs with slides seem to depreciate out to around $10k in good condition.
I just sold our 03 AF860 for $10k pretty easily. It was in good to very good condition but certainly not like new. Paid $10k for it about 5 years ago.

$15k does not seem totally out of line for a 05 1150. Although I bet they’d come down on that a bit.
And it might be a drive but I’d consider broadening your search. My experience growing up in the Midwest and being around there recently is not a lot of TCs compared to the Rockies and farther west.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ernie_Fergler
Explorer
Explorer
Thx to all that replied, with special thanks to Grit Dog, because his answer was the one I wanted to see, even though the AF is my 2nd choice of the 2.

I've been shopping for a TC for over 10 years looking for the "right" one. It will be my secondary camper used for a trip to Alaska ,and short stays at nat. parks and blm camping. I have a 5th wheel for longer, less mobile stays. My budget is under 15K, hence the age of these 2, both listed at 10ish. When I first started looking, my budget was 10K and you could get a '99 or '00 model for that price. Today, the same 10K will buy about the same camper. In today's covid market hard side campers in my price range just don't exist.

Thx again for the replies.
Ernie
2016 Ram 3500 dually, Aisen, 4.10 gear, 4x4, 8 ft bed
2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2013 arctic fox 990>"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking for one useable with the slide in check out the 1191, plenty of space with the slide in, even more with it out.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
2007 Lance 1181 here and it's a squeeze. but can be done. As said above I push it out 6 inches. Good luck with your quest!

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 981 and you can squeeze past the dinette with the slide in and use everything.
A little tight but doable.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Or if you read my post, AFs are useable. I guess if you’re really fat they’re not....

Bert, you hit the nail on the head. Reading comprehension is poor at best here.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
From memory of other post, believe you have to put the slides out at least 6" to be able to use any of the facilities. By pulling images into paint and making the slide go in, looks like the minimum of 6" is accurate but think they need to both go about 1/2 way out for anything but a skinny person or contortionist to use. Hopefully other actual owners will post up.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
As far as other comments you asked for, both are 15 years old and at a dealer who will have about a zero % chance of knowing their history or even caring about that.
You however should have a keen interest in the campers’ history, particularly how it was cared for and how it was stored.
Proceed with great caution with a totally unknown old camper in the middle of winter.
There is a good chance that both of them leak or have leaked.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
No idea. Also something I've wondered.

But at least by their answer they've show ignorance and/or incompetence. So you know to tread cautiously when buying from them or avoiding them all together.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
AF is totally useable with slide in. Sticks into doorway about 6” when fully closed.
Slider switch is right by bottom of entry door so also super easy to run it out a little or a lot depending on what you want, provided you keep everything out of the way of the slide out.