cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trading up

rancero86
Explorer
Explorer
"First of all thank you for your patience in waiting for me to get back with you! Second, thanks for taking my call.
I am not sure if Brian gave you the MSRP sheet while you were here, but I have attached it to this email so you can see the options the unit does include.
As I said, I worked the numbers 2 ways. I did give you a little better deal buying without a trade as it saves us having to sell a used unit! However, either way I feel is very fair and hopefully will work out for you and be closer to where you were hoping to be. I apologize for Brian not laying it out this way.
Sale Price- $28,495
Trade- $15,500
Difference- 12,995 +++
Total financed figuring a payoff of $14,800 = $29,973.24

If you want to sell yours on your own, I'll actually do better than I mentioned on the phone because actually my sales guy did have it listed for $1k under his minimum, and you will see his new add now reflects that, but I can't not honor what you saw, so I will do the $23,990 with no trade, which would give you an OTD of $26,077.94"

So I have a 2015 prime time tracer 215air. I went to a dealer that has a trailer that would suit us a lot better. They gave me two different prices. One with my trade and one without. Is this common practice or is this dealer full of ****? It just doesn't seem right to have different prices.
10 REPLIES 10

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Common price manipulation. When you have a trade, the sale price is higher because the trade allowance is a phony number. They are really only giving you around $10,000 for the trade.

Check your state laws. In some states a trade is desirable because you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade and the new purchase. If you sell the old RV yourself you will pay sales tax on the entire price of the new RV.

The final cost is the only thing that matters, they can manipulate the numbers any way they want.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rancero86
Explorer
Explorer
No stress, just checking on how trading in campers are done else where. Yes my camper is a 2015 and so is the new one. I owe $12700 on it and in a conversation over the phone. The manager said cash out for it would be $12000.
I did counter offer with wanting the $12700 for mine and $24900 out the door for there new 2015. I don't think they will take that offer. I already walked away from the first deal and still walking. Me and the wife did walk in just to see if the end of the year and a 2015 camper would net us a really fantastic deal. I do have fun looking and dealing. Thanks for the insights so far.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is no reason for the two prices. It is easy to see what you are really being allowed for your trade. They want to see quick profit, not having money tied up in used stock, that they need to sell, before seeing any profit.

When they advertise a low price, they may as well be honest, and say your trade will be figured low, to off set their sale price.

No matter what prices talked about, it is only the difference that matters.

Jerry

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't tell him what you owe, but they are not stupid, as an educated guess it's not a stretch to assume your owe a fair amount of money on a one year old trailer.

No matter what you do with this you are trying to trade or sell a fairly new trailer. You've already put yourself in a position of being upside down when you trade. If you are really concerned about losing money on a deal, keep your trailer for a few years, pay it off, then work a deal. You'll be in the driver's seat calling the shots, not the other way around. And you'll be less stressed out about it.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

tll
Explorer
Explorer
If you subtract the $4505 from the trade in price you get the real value they placed on your trade. Around $11,000. If that is really what it is worth on a trade,then it is an ok deal (you are being offered wholesale price here, you need to have a reality check in what your trade is really worth. They will be offering at LEAST $5000 less that what you think you could sell it for). Just like in buying cars, the selling price is inflated so they can make you feel good by offering you a high price on your trade (often more that it can retail for!)
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

rancero86
Explorer
Explorer
We have not even discussed the percentage rate or finance charges for the new camper. I have not traded a camper in before so it is new to me. I have traded my vehicles in on new ones and the dealer gave me the price of the truck and what he would give for my trade. With the vehicles I always owed less than what they offered. Which is the case here. I did not tell them what I owed, they came up with this pricing from pictures and a description that I had brought in.
The reason for the email they sent is because I did not purchase the camper that day so a manager emailed me to find out what he could do to close the deal.

I walked out of there because the trade in price was $4505 higher than advertised price.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
rancero86 wrote:
I dont understand the higher price with trade. Just seems weird.

I believe that is the norm. Whether it's rvs or autos.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I think that is with the finance charges or final cost of the loan. What APR is he talking about?

rancero86
Explorer
Explorer
The camper we are looking to buy has a MSRP of $36000. The deal of $26000 out the door is good price but I have to sell mine myself. I dont understand the higher price with trade. Just seems weird.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I personally think he's full of himself. He will sell your trade in for a profit so the figure with trade in is bs. I deal with out the door pricing only, so offer him $27000 out the door and go from there.

Have you checked RVtrader to see what others are selling the new unit for and to possibly see what your current unit is selling for used? If you're willing to drive a couple hours you could stand to save more money. We drove three hours to purchase our new fifth wheel and saved almost $7000 compared to local offers.

Good luck and Merry Christmas
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian