cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer demand and prices

Gleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking since last year for a bigger trailer to fit our family. Remember seeing some and didn't act fast enough and they were gone last year. Thought this year might be different. I passed on one and all of the sudden I can hardly find one that suits us unless it's about new price or half way across the country. Everyone said those that bought first time last year would be selling and there would be deals. What are you all seeing?
2012 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2007 Ford Expedtion EL (sold)
2016 Chevy Express 3500
32 REPLIES 32

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought there'd be a lot more available by now as well, but have seen an uptick on some brand specific Facebook For Sale groups of "used only X days" trailers in the last couple weeks.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

youngtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Im in Oregon, and local trailers used (1-3 yrs) old are selling like hotcakes. co-worker posted up his 2016 TT for sale for what he paid for it- sold it in 24 hours for more than he asked, as he had numerous people showing up for it, ended up being a "bidding war".
another co-worker sold his pop-up (OLD ONE) for $2200, had over 100 calls on it within the hr he posted it.

We bought a 2020 Heartland torque T314 in January of 2020. The Selling Dealer called us in september, asking if we wanted to sell it for more than what we paid for it, and "upgrade" to a 2021. problem was it would be 3 months out, 2nd- we were currently living in it due to loss of our home to a fire.
It partly depends on where you are, and what your looking for.
We travel to BOISE ID, frequently, it appears their RV lots are loaded with RVs of all types. however- do some research, and some of those places had a LOT of complaints, and BAD reviews.
Young Travelers :B

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“By about the 5th year,..”

But with NO roof or seam maintenance...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday passed by a Camping World and several large and midsized RV dealers and there is no shortage in new units. All classes and sizes are available. Really couldn't tell about used units.

Gleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. That all makes a lot of sense. Kind of like last year I passed on something earlier that looks good now. Of course I'd have one to sell too...
2016 Chevy Express 3500

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Historically, many new to RVing RV buyers use the RV a lot the first year or two and then get distracted with the rest of their lives and do less and less with it. By about the 5th year, they see it sitting in the driveway or they see the storage bills and decide they should sell. They willingly take a loss on it because they realize they are throwing money away having it sit there. A small few hate the RV so much they want to sell it within months of buying - but they want what they paid for it.

With the pandemic, many folks wanted to believe that new to RVing RV buyers were somehow different than in the past and they would "hate" it so much they'd just want it to disappear at any cost.

In reality, they are the same as always. They aren't going to sell until the RV has sat for a few years. If they do sell now, they want the full price.

Those who might have been ready to sell now are hanging on to their rigs because of the pandemic. The RV has become an "in case of emergency" plan for them. They will wait until the pandemic has been over for a couple or so years before selling.

It was all fortunetelling and no data and research.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
It is going to be a sellers' market for sometime in practically all areas. Similar to what my parents said it was after WWII. Heck, in 1949 they wanted a new car, went to a local Plymouth dealer and he said take your pic...we have two new cars.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I can go to several dealer websites here in Oregon and all of them have diddle for used RV's and their supply of new is less than 2019. What I'm seeing is that when you scroll down the page you see a lot of "On order" postings.
I also drive by a lot that is now selling a TT brand that they didn't in the past. Didn't need to because the brands they did sell they could get more fairly easy. Now they're stocking anything so they can make a sale.

Here's an interesting take on the state of the RV world as of now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqV28ayI1o4

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gleaner wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
Some of those crystal balls were defective and cracked

Do you think the demand is just as strong this year? Since I'm looking at used units and have some specifics in mind, do I have to adjust my price range up if I find one that fits the bill?

Manufacturers are still not producing at normal rates, lots of material shortages right now putting a squeeze on new units being available for the demand and that pushes the prices up.

Take that into account on the used market, if new units are scarce and the cost has soared there is less incentive for folks to trade or sell off their old ones. This also drives up the prices of what used units will be selling for.

If you have hard set "specifics" then most likely your gonna have to step up to the plate and jump on the first one that fits your specifics and it most likely is going to cost more than what your set budget is.

Otherwise, perhaps lower your "specifics" a bit and buy what you can find at the most reasonable price right now.. If you work it right, down the road you might find your dream RV at a better deal and you can sell off the one that doesn't fit the dream with very little loss.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quit wasting time here on this board. You probably missed out on three RV's that fit your needs in the time you posted . LOL.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gleaner wrote:
hornet28 wrote:

Do you think the demand is just as strong this year?

Things are getting better but...
Much of the international travel is still closed.
While domestic air travel is increasing compared to last year, it's still a fraction of what is normal.

Most of the pressures pushing towards RVs are still present and the fears around RV travel are gradually decreasing.

It's likely going to be at least 2-3yrs before most people give up and sell. There's a psychological component. People will be embarrassed if they dumped tens of thousands into an RV and then the next summer sold it....so they will hold off until it's long since obvious that they won't be using it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
A recent story in the Orlando Sentinel quoted an RVIA spokesman estimating RV sales of 530000 units in 2021; higher than the 430K of 2020 and surpassing the industry record of 500K set in 2017.

It's not just RV's. New boat registrations in Florida have jumped 30% in the last year, and even camping equipment such as tents is in high demand.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I had a "crystal ball" that was made of plastic, for forecasting solvents (like gasoline) in 1972!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt many first time buyers will dump after one year. More likely start seeing it in 3-5 years when they begin to find it is not really what they thought. And the dollars are still going out to pay for it. Demand will not likely be as high this year as last year, but probably will not slump a lot until at least next year. My crystal ball. :B

Gleaner
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:

Do you think the demand is just as strong this year? Since I'm looking at used units and have some specifics in mind, do I have to adjust my price range up if I find one that fits the bill?
2016 Chevy Express 3500