cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer frame breakage

cyndrcarter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Eclipse Evolution 26' TT. Has a light weight frame built by Norco, and axles (3500 lb) built by Lippert.
The frame cracked in the rear, both sides, behind the axle. The middle crosspiece was laying on the propane pipe, not connected to either side of the frame. The wheels were swaying back and forth from side to side with each turn, hence we have a twisted frame!
No one wants to help. Trailer is only 3 years old, 14 trips to it's name. What would anyone suggest??
It is a lovely trailer (the coach part) with a compromised frame.
Help.
11 REPLIES 11

cyndrcarter
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you one and all for your advice.Have also found out that the 1 axle is bent! So..Lippert is sending me 2 new axles with new springs attached. I have a certified welder to add more bracing and strengthen the frame. Am also upgrading to Dexter EZ flex equalizers which should offer a smoother ride to the trailer, and maybe it won't fall apart this time!? Thanks again,
Cindy

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear about this. I did not know that those Norco/BAL frames are susceptible to damage like that. They aren't welded together, they use huck bolts. I don't think you can just start welding things up to fix damage. I would phone Norco and talk to them. Maybe they have some specs on how to repair the particular damage. I talked to them a couple of years ago and the guy I spoke to was quite helpful. I doubt Eclipse would help 4 years later. You might also talk to a reputable frame and axle shop and have them inspect it and render an opinion. Also, perhaps try asking on the Lance forum, they've been using these frames for some time now.

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
E mails and pictures to everyone you can think of with respect and requests. Follow them up with phone calls. E mail does not go away and they know it. It can also be forwarded and posted. Do not touch it till you get their answers. Be nice but let them know you want it fixed and fixed now.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would be a safety defect that I'm sure the NHTSA would like to hear about.

Be persistent in calling the manuf. be loud but not threatening! Yes it's out of warranty, but a failure like that should not happen. If that happened to any car/truck from any manuf I can guarantee you there will be calls made to you once you brought it in to have it checked out!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Look like yours
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f41/cracks-in-norco-bal-a-frame-2013-a-21161.html
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised you are not getting support from the manufacturer. When we had A-Frame failure on our Keystone Springdale, the dealer and the manufacturer worked together to fix my frame. I wasn't charged a single penny. And the new A-frame was far superior to the old one.

If the manufacture absolutely refuses to work with you, then, as stated above, find a good welding shop that can fix it. The trailer is worth keeping.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I cant offer more then what has already been suggested. But Thank you for taking the time to post your problem. By hearing how others are treated by a company or companies helps us make informed decisions in regards to future purchases. Ie who to avoid. Please keep us posted.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
I had the tongue on my trailer fail at the front crossmember last summer at the most inopportune time; a week before one of our annual family camp outs. Most places, including the dealer, didn't want to touch it.

I found an RV collision shop willing to take on the work. They successfully replaced the entire tongue with thicker-walled tubing and additional reinforcements, and even had it finished for my trip the following weekend. It wasn't cheap though, and they said they had one of their guys on it for over 40 hours. Although it seems like a simple repair, the box of the trailer had to be separated from the frame so they could make the necessary welds. The shop said this was the first time they repaired something like this, and next time around, they would quote it for at least another $500 over the $1,800 I paid.

I think part of the reason shops are hesitant to tackle a project like this is due to the potential liability if they are the last ones to touch it and the repair fails while driving 65+ mph down the freeway.

Hopefully you're able to find someone to help you, because it seems like such a waste to scrap a perfectly good trailer due to a repairable frame issue. I tried claiming the repair on my insurance, but they wouldn't cover it, as it was deemed a mechanical repair/maintenance issue and not a total loss. If I would have had the tongue completely snap off the trailer while in tow, they would have paid the claim, and it would have been substantially more!
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I'd start with my dealer and be prepared to contact Eclipse direct. I would guess your frame isn't the only one to break. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Did your dealer help? Have you talked to manufacturer? There should be a warranty on the frame. Get ready to call a lawyer.

If this is all on you then talk to some welders, heavy truck mechanics, body shops, or trailer builders. Good luck.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to a welding shop and have it fixed.