cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer roof caulking,

evanvalk
Explorer
Explorer
Can any body tell me the new Flex Seal can be used to touch up on rubber roof? Thanks.
ED. & ROSE.
Hartland Wilderness, 2014, 33.6 ft. 2-Slids.
2008 Ram 2500 Quad Heavy Duty 6.7,Cummins Turbo-Diesel
4X4 Big Horn. Tampa, FL
TAMPA, FL.

๐Ÿ™‚
10 REPLIES 10

huskym1025
Explorer
Explorer
I used the clear version of Flex seal to repair a leak around my antenna. The trick is to spray several thin coats, allowing the coats to dry between sprays. We had rain and snow here and so far no leaks.
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2000 25' FB Timberland Travel Trailer

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
The flex seal did what I needed it to do. We now have more dicor and are planning to reseal the problem area this week. Considering we had another 6 hours of heavy rains and no leaks after applying a thin layer of flex seal, I believe it served its purpose as a quick, but temporary remedy.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
I think most agree that to properly seal a leak, it is all about preparation.
I would hate to see what it takes to remove the Flexseal (to prepare for a proper repair) from your roof should it fail...
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
We just had torrential rains down here in Florida. One of our lights started leaking! There was a gap somewhere on the roof water was getting in. Since we had recently had a satellite dish removed, we figured it must be there. During a break in the rains, I went up on the roof and sprayed the **** out of the places where the satellite dish had been mounted (dicor was used when it was done). I used the only thing I had since I only had about a fifteen minute break - Flex Seal. No more leak! Yes, it actually worked, keeping the 2" an hour rain out of my RV.

We do plan to go back on the roof to add more dicor but, for a quick fix, Flex Seal worked and I am glad we carry it.

I'd caution you that Flexseal is soluble in water and might not fix your leak permanently. Also, the place where you see water exit in the interior has more to do with the low point where water can travel than the entrance point in the exterior. You may have located the leak entrance at the satellite dish mounting location and may have not. I'd suggest you perform a pressure leak test to identify and seal any leak entrances found. There are a number of different products used for different roof materials. If you have an EPDM roof, Dicor self-leveling has had good results for a lot of RV users.

Good luck with the leak prevention.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We just had torrential rains down here in Florida. One of our lights started leaking! There was a gap somewhere on the roof water was getting in. Since we had recently had a satellite dish removed, we figured it must be there. During a break in the rains, I went up on the roof and sprayed the **** out of the places where the satellite dish had been mounted (dicor was used when it was done). I used the only thing I had since I only had about a fifteen minute break - Flex Seal. No more leak! Yes, it actually worked, keeping the 2" an hour rain out of my RV.

We do plan to go back on the roof to add more dicor but, for a quick fix, Flex Seal worked and I am glad we carry it.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I suppose if you want to float your camper upside down in that lake, you can sure try! But as for me, I'd never use it. I'd stick with a known product for rubber roofs that's been time tested and proven. I have no desire to flip my camper over and float it! ๐Ÿ™‚

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Flex Seal....no
ProFlex or Dicor self leveling...yes
Eternabond Tape....yes
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
evanvalk wrote:
Can any body tell me the new Flex Seal can be used to touch up on rubber roof? Thanks.

Don't screw around trying to touch it up. Fix it right and use the correct sealant. And don't put it off, do it ASAP
You don't want a major leak. Trust me......

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
evanvalk wrote:

The infomercial spray? I haven't used it for anything, but I wouldn't be the guinea pig to try it on a RV roof. There are too many EPDM specific products available for me to mess with it.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
no