cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trailer weights and tow vehicle?

Trout_Guide
Explorer
Explorer
I tried looking for the answer as I am sure this is not the first time asked. So we just got a 1986 23' komfort tt with 2 axles. I found the weight of the trailer is 3,460. The tag by the door is to worn to read anything off of it for other weight info and cant find anything online.

So my question is how do I figure tongue weight? and what is the lightest vehicle that can tow this? My vehicle is just a little heavier then the trailer at 3,480 pounds. I was also going to add trailer brakes and with the weight distribution hitch was hoping this was doable.

Any thoughts or help would be of great value and really appreciated. New to this whole type of camping and really glad we have moved up and out of the tent camping. Just trying to figure it all out.
Thank you
22 REPLIES 22

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Trout Guide wrote:
1986 23' komfort tt with 2 axles. I found the weight of the trailer is 3,460. The tag by the door is to worn to read anything off of it for other weight info and cant find anything online.

Sounds like you got the weight numbers for the trailer off the label- am I right?. Likely dry weight; loaded will exceed that by five or six hundred pounds at least, likely more. Even before loading, that's WAY too much trailer for your '56 wagon no matter how you gussy it up. And why bother? It's not like the mid-eighties trailer is going to go with the tug, looks-wise.

Fahgeddabout this combo. There's a '56 Shasta sitting in my yard right now that would go with that car real nice. Weighs about a thousand pounds. That's the kind of thing you should be looking for to put behind your old wagon.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A '56 is going to take a lot of work to pull a travel trailer with that weight and frontal area. At the least, besides the front drive train, some attention should be given to the suspension and final drive. Myself, if it was doing good duty with a boat, I'd leave it like that or not tow at all, they do have considerable value when restored.
If you dig the older stuff, an alternative might be to find a vintage truck for a TV.

For tongue weight, a good generic number to use is 13% of the total weight. 3460 + 600 (gear)+60 (battery) + 40 (propane) = 4160 x 13% = 540 (tongue weight)
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Trout_Guide
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Keymasr,
I had my mechanic custom build a hitch so guess I need to ask them what the rating would be. That is also a great idea for the additional cooler to add, did not think of that.
Appreciate all the help from you guys
Rick

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
700R4 is a very good tranny. Parts are readily available and most any local tranny shop can build it up stronger if needed. For now just get a dedicated oil cooler with a fan instead of running it through the radiator lines and you should have no troubles at all. Something like this.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13700/10002/-1?parentProductId=
350 would also be cheap and reliable and plenty powerful. As mentioned before, concentrate on brakes and hitch. Those are where your biggest improvements are needed.

Trout_Guide
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Fred,
Wow, thanks for all that info. Right now it has the original 265 in it but know its not strong enough, that is why I want to put in the 350. Also on the list is disc brakes as want as much help stopping as possible. The transmission is an automatic but don't think that will be an issue once the projects are done. Really appreciate the input, is very helpful.
Rick

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
HI,

It really depends on the weight and ratings of the tow vehicles that you have, and if they have an extra 600 pounds for hitch weight. Does your vehicle have plenty of power to tow a trailer? Most front wheel drive cars do not have enough power.

What engine is in the car? 1956, they typically came with a 6.5:1 compression ratio, and typically only made about 75 - 105 HP due to the available 83 octane fuel, and low compression ratio required to use that low octane fuel. If you have improved that engine, and have a little more power, then it can tow more, but it depends on automatic transmission or manual. With that old of a car, I don't know the horsepower capacity of either the transmission or the clutch in the case of a manual transmission.

Modern cars have a larger diameter clutch, and sometimes have special friction materials, so they can handle 250+ HP, the F-450 6 speed has 362 HP and a really large clutch!

Have you upgraded the 56 wagon brakes to front disk? Or even added a power brake booster to it? I would recommend both. Some have even gone so far as installing a front clip from a 72 Nova or another car with the correct spacing in the frame front end. It would give a better suspension as well as disk brakes!

For transporting the trailer before upgrading the wagon, I would recommend borrow a truck that is 3/4 ton and disk brakes.

Your 56 will require a weight distribution system, and probably a better hitch that is has now. The WD hitch grabs onto the frame with 3 bolts on each side, the forward one about 12- 15" in front of the rear most bolt hole. You would be using torque to transfer weight off the rear axle onto the front axle, and yes that is what is required to transfer that torque to the wagon frame.

Check your axle weight ratings, tire weight rating, and make sure that you will not overload anything. Normally axle weight is limited to at least 300 pounds less than what the two tires can carry.

Good luck on your project!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Trout_Guide
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks downtheroad, Yes the dry weight is 3460. the rest I have no clue. As far as the tow vehicle, well- its a 1956 wagon. I tow a boat with it now but it is nothing compared to the trailer. This winter am hoping to fix up the trailer and also do work on the wagon, bigger engine, thinking 350 and has a 700r4 now and really like that transmission, but is that a good one to tow with? Looking at seeing what I need to upgrade.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My bet is that the 3460 lbs you posted is the dry weight of the trailer.
My guess is that the GVWR of that trailer is in the vicinity of 5000 lbs.
My guess is that your rough tongue weight loaded and trip ready is around 600 lbs...These are all GUESSES.

Let's start with a little more info. What is the tow vehicle you are intending to use?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro