cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer wheels - 65psi?

hujorgan1
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to replace my current LRC tires with LRD. The inly thing I can find stamped on my current wheels is "1870 lbs". Can nayone tell me if these wheels can handle 65psi?
2014 Forest River Salem 27DBUD
2016 Tundra CrewMax
14 REPLIES 14

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis tires are nothing special .
No Maxxis passenger tire has scored above the LOWEST 25 % in Consumer Reports testing .
November 2013 and November 2012 issues .
There have been threads on this forum discussing Maxxis failures .
On this forum there has been about one reported Maxxis failure per month since January this year .
Frequent readers of the tire threads have observed these Maxxis failures .
Maxxis tires are made in Asia , are ST speed rated for 65 mph , and are made to a cheaper price point like the other ST tires .
A better choice in 15 inch is the Goodyear Cargo G26 225/70R15 load range D that is made in Germany ( and France ) and has a 106 mph speed rating .
If you have 14 inch wheels the better choice is the Kumho 857 205R14 load range D and has a 106 mph rating .
Both of those choices are graded on the LT scale which is 115 % of the weaker / cheaper ST grading schedule .
Neither the G26 or Kumho 857 are placarded " For Trailer Use Only " .

hujorgan1
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Do you have 6 lug rims now?

No, 5 lug.
2016 Tundra CrewMax

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
gmw photos wrote:
If it were mine, I would put LR D tires on it, inflate to 65 psi and go camping.
Did that four years ago on my oem steel wheels. Denman D let go last year, now MAXXIS 205R15-LRD.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have 6 lug rims now?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
hujorgan1 wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
If it were mine, I would put LR D tires on it, inflate to 65 psi and go camping.

I think that's my plan now. Looking at LRD Maxxis tires.

....well, except I wouldn't personally put the M brand on it.... I would use LT. just my preference.

hujorgan1
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

I think that's my plan now. Looking at LRD Maxxis tires.
2016 Tundra CrewMax

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
hujorgan1 wrote:
Ok, that's what I was afraid of - needing 4 new wheels.

So since I may be buying new wheels, is there a better size that I should move to? I am currently running 205/75-15. I've heard that moving to LT tires is the best idea, so maybe this is a good opportunity to do that?

Thats what I did , If you have 6 lug wheels , its easy rims are available just about anywhere . If you have 5 lug wheels , I have heard you can get 16 inch rims but , I havent found them . My rims were rated 80 psi , I also got the bolt in valve stems for the added safety . I am pleased with the LT tires , both speed capacity and the added weight capacity ( 2000 lbs more than the trailers gross weight )

McDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Maxxis.

hujorgan1
Explorer
Explorer
Well that's all good to hear - I would hate to have to replace all of my wheels.

I know Maxxis ST tires get good reviews on this board - any other recommendations (or tires to avoid)?
2016 Tundra CrewMax

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I ran E rated tires at 80psi for 5 years on 1875 lb rims. No problems.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Your wheels can handle 65 psi .
This has been discussed frequently .
The wheel weight loading is a such higher demand that 65 psi is not even a consideration .
CapriRacer floated the idea recently that even if a wheel was stamped 65 psi that he would consider using a load range E tire at 80 psi because the tire is by far the weakest link .
It is a common misconception that RV wheels have some psi limit .
Only a few aluminum wheels are stamped with a psi limit .
The tire is always the weakest link in the tire / wheel combination .

hujorgan1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, that's what I was afraid of - needing 4 new wheels.

So since I may be buying new wheels, is there a better size that I should move to? I am currently running 205/75-15. I've heard that moving to LT tires is the best idea, so maybe this is a good opportunity to do that?
2016 Tundra CrewMax

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Max for that rim if stamped with 1870 lbs is 50psi. Good idea to upgrade to bigger, higher capacity ST tire, will improve durability and overall longevity while reducing occurrence of castrophic failure. Best to upgrade rim than to run ST tires at lower than max psi as stated on the sidewall. We've experienced reliable service from our Maxxis tires over the last 4 years.