cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper and Razorback Football

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advice on a trip I am planning to put together next Sept. Do not own any RV, but have been researching and reading about truck campers the last couple of years. Retiring in four years and would like to tour the Western US for a while in a truck camper. Probably a pop up, since it will be only me.

I live in Arkansas and when I saw Colorado St on our football schedule, I figured what a great opportunity to test out camping and driving a truck camper. I can fly into Denver a few days before the game and rent a truck camper from Cruise America. One of the few locations that rent this combo. It's the Ford 150 with a modified Lance. Camp maybe Wed to Sat, return the rig and then go to the game.

Question - Colorado St is in Fort Collins, about an hour north of Denver. What would be an easy itinerary to maybe hit a few camping areas for some hiking, fishing, etc.? Don't want to do a lot of driving since my time frame is relatively short. Also want to work in some micro brewery tours, but I can handle that one myself.
19 REPLIES 19

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I saw one of these while I was out west this past summer. They were with me in Cody and Yellowstone. It was small but looked good and was road worthy. GO FOR IT!!!
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

Somebody thinks differently. I doubt they are in the white knuckle rental business. Go for it and enjoy the experience. College fans can travel well. That was part of our buying experience in Oregon (go Ducks).
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oops! Wrong thread!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is, no Ford F150 is capable of hauling any Lance safely. You might find that to be a white knuckle vacation...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Renting what you might purchase is a great plan. Except for not being able to drive around an area except with the whole thing I loved my 4x4 Chevy and Beaver camper.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad