cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck questions

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, be patient with me I belong on the A forum. The last 4 outings with our 32' gas Jayco Precept the wind has been 24 mph or greater.
I have the CDL love big vehicles and its my happy place to drive, However on the last outings my very DH uttered feelings I must explore. "This beast is NOT a road machine, everything needs to be planned & calculated, remember when we used to get in the car and just drive?"
We are planning to replace our F150 and DH thought bigger truck and then a camper might bring back the spontaneity we once had with travel.
My question is can any truck be set up for a truck camper, we're thinking 350 crew cab 6'6" bed gas 4x4 SWD. We typically find gently used vehicles, haven't seen any used with the camper option on them.
Also will we need to improve handling with after market products? We have added $4000 for the nasty F53 chassis which we will keep, we used it 45 days last year with week-end only state parks. It has its place just not a get in and drive for 2 weeks kind of vehicle. We're 10 years from retirement, have 6 weeks vacation so thinking its time for mad dashes thru the US and Canada, hoping a truck camper will meet that desire. Hubby not interested in a van or small C.
What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help.
20 REPLIES 20

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Don't need camper option, just make sure you load within payload capacity and you will be fine. Don't listen to anyone who encourages overloading any truck.

If you want a slide truck camper, don't bother with an srw truck.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
There are short bed campers that will work fine on a 1 ton SB SRW. Lance makes 3 or 4 units like that. Adventurer 80 RB would be an option. Bigfoot 1500 series are well made.

Lot's of great options for a lightweight short bed truck.

Without the dually I would look for a non slide unit to keep the weight down. You will also most likely be dealing with a wet bath which can be a little more cramped than a dry shower. You will need to go see them and try them out.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Mommalu wrote:
I understand the weight concerns, but truck will be a daily used vehicle and a dually does not appeal to either one of us,

I had that line of thought for the last several years. Kept chasing good money after bad (suspension upgrades, 19.5" wheels/tires, etc) to make my daily driver SRW handle a DRW load. Recently picked up a DRW and have no idea why I waited so long. Both my wife and I are finding my new truck very easy to drive and I think the worries I had about a DRW were unfounded. I suggest you at least test drive one before you rule it out.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the weight concerns, but truck will be a daily used vehicle and a dually does not appeal to either one of us, so its SWD.
Looking at campers for 150/1500's, just want A/C & furnace, hot water heater, shower big enough to get my elbows out to wash my hair, queen bed, double burner stove, 5 cf fridge.
This will be used where it's a different campground every night, tanks dumped & water added every morning so amenities tank size not so much a concern.
We are keeping the motorhome for extended stays.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
with the SRW you will pretty much be limited to the smaller lighter truck campers with less space and options. Essentially truck campers are heavy and you will exceed the tire load capacity unless you upgrade to commercial 19.5 wheels and tires. A dually in a long bed configuration gives you the most camper choices. Best advice is to find a camper that you both like first then shop for a truck that is capable of carrying it.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Short bed and SRW will drastically lower your camper choices and moving from 32' ClassA I doubt your wife will be happy with them.
Also new Fords 4x4 are pretty high, what not only adds steps to get to the camper, but issues with jacks length.