Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT KZ Spree escape or Travel lite campers

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

I am looking at TT and have run across the KZ spree escape and Travel lite campers.

Anyone have experience with any on these and any issues with a single axle camper

I also have a 2007 Sorento LX 4x4 am I read it can tow up to 5,000 lbs.

Can someone review and see if this is correct. I am trying to stay at 3,500.

What are people avg for MPG towing your TT?

Thanks
Joe
5 REPLIES 5

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jeepdave!

jeepdave
Explorer
Explorer
I have the kz spree escape 19s also. We pull it with a jeep wrangler. No problems here in michigan.

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.. I was also looking at the trailmanor ..Nice unit but prices are out there...

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I see you live in CO. Land of the Rocky Mountains. I suggest a more aerodynamic trailer such as Casita, Scamp, Weiscraft (made in CO), or similar. Or go with a popup.

I have a 270 HP '08 Toyota Highlander. It did fine with a molded fiberglass Burro TT, but with a KZ Escape E14RB (2700 lbs loaded) the HL really struggled on long grades at higher altitudes. Elsewhere it did okay. But I got worried after seeing the transmission temp light come on several times last year, so I sold the KZ and bought an Aliner hard-sided popup.

The difference between the 2200 lb Burro and the 2700 lb KZ was not the extra 500 lbs, but the extra wind resistance of a boxy trailer. A rounded shape that sits a bit lower and/or narrower will make a huge difference. I averaged 14.3 mpg on a long trip through CO and UT with the Burro, and 12 mpg towing the KZ on a similar mountain trip. Both at about 60-62 mph typical speed.

By way of comparison, I just got back from a 800 mile round trip to Palo Duro Canyon with the 5' high, sub-2000-lb Aliner. 15+ mpg on the way west (elevation gain and into wind), and 17+ mpg on the way back... driving 65 and sometimes 70 mph.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Spree Escape e196s with the idea of pulling it with a mid-size SUV rated to tow 3500 pounds. Quickly found that a 3.5L v-6 was not really up to the task and now have a 1/2 ton pickup to tow it with. Very happy with this combo. Cargo carrying capacity is always the limiting factor. Be sure to read what the sticker on the door jam of the Sorento states to see if it up to the task. Good luck in your purchase. Gas mileage sucks no matter what you tow with.