Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT / TV -- the age old question again!

Cicch95
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
New to the forum and a potential addition to the RV world! Wife and I have decided we would like to get a travel trailer. This is so confusing and by all the reading I have done here and elsewhere I am not alone! So, I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

First the truck.....2014 RAM 1500 Express Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto, trailer tow mirrors and brake group, class IV hitch, trans and oil coolers, brake controller, heavy duty front and rear shocks. This all came from the build sheet.

GVWR: 6,900 lbs (from silver sticker on door)
Actual weight: 5,490 lbs with a full tank of gas. (nobody in it!)
True payload: 1,410 lbs
GAWR for front and rear: 3,900 lbs each (from silver sticker on door)
GCWR: 15,650 lbs (from Dodge site)
Tow capacity: 10,150 lbs (from Dodge site - seemingly meaningless!)
Wheelbase: 140.5"

So, the wife and I went to a few RV dealers and the first thing I learned was that they either do not care about your safety, your equipment, or they just don't know! Both tried to sell me 33' trailers in the 7,500 lb range. Totally disregarding payload. I was baffled by this.

The whole WDH thing is also very confusing! Does it "offload" TW to the trailer axles, therefore "giving" you payload back? Do you add the weight of the WDH before you subtract what it offloads or after?

All that being said....I have this trailer in mind......but am not sure it is a good idea. Can it pull it, sure. Is it safe to pull it and is it a good idea is another story. The elusive one in my case!

The trailer in question......2017 Keystone Bullet 274BHS. According to the Keystone website (at this point)....
Ship weight: 5,288 lbs
Carrying capacity: 2,297 lbs
Hitch weight: 585 lbs
Length: 30' 9' (manageable length??)

Right now our family of five weighs in around: 770 lbs. That's 2 adults, and 3 daughters (16, 12, 10) So...growing...but I imagine dropping off as adulthood is coming.

I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, info to help me make an educated decision.

If any other info would be helpful that I may have missed, let me know.

Thanks,
-Rick
21 REPLIES 21

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
That combo should be very nice. Air up the tires for towing, at least the rears, especially if the TV has P tires. Recommend going to LT when replacement time comes if you are still towing. Hitch adjustments are critical to a good towing experience.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Only question I have is - Does the floor plan seem to work for you? TV watchable, can you all see it. You might need that on a stormy day, Slides? If so when they are in do the interfere with getting to Fridge? Bathroom?

You are so smart to not listen to sales as to weight and towability. Get ready to pack up and camp!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
you will be close but in spec. make sure you don't pack too heavy. also a good wd witch will help but it doesn't get you extra payload. enjoy
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Payload is going to be close but I think you will be fine. Be sure to buy a really good WDH with built in sway control.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would try and keep the trailer loaded weight at 7000 max and tongue weight at 700. WD takes tongue weight and shifts it to the front axle and to the trailer axles. Weighing loaded up for camping will give you a better idea how much WD you need.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Cicch95
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
You're fine with that trailer and tow vehicle combo. Now hitch up and go camping!

Thanks for the reply Ron. No worries about the payload #'s?

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're fine with that trailer and tow vehicle combo. Now hitch up and go camping!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"