cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tv at camp grounds

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we are renting a seasonal for rest of this year, figure its best way to actually get the most use out of unit for remainder of season because of schedule, the camp ground we are staying at has nothing, I am sure that antenna that came on unit doesn't get great reception, I'm all for the away from electronic thing we are teaching the kids, that is till college football kicks off in September, what does everyone use, I have looked into the dish tailgater thing, but it keeps sounding like I just cant hook it in cable entry at back of trailer, any help would be appreciated...
13 REPLIES 13

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on if you move the tailgaiter from one area to another. If I go to Co I have to call. Also, it's $7/mo and you only pay months used. If you're not using it you call and have it cut off.

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
we own the trailer and are renting seasonal, I figure I have a few weeks before season kicks off so I have some time, I assume I can still watch a DVD outside cant I?

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Are you renting a seasonal spot only, meaning you own your RV, or are you renting the RV too?

If you own your RV, you can easily add a new coax cable connection into the RV avoiding the installed antenna/cable powered connector. We stayed at one location where the RV park supplied a cable set-top-box and it would not work with the OEM RV cable/antenna booster connector (on or off) as the frequency must have been filtered out. So I easily added a direct cable connection that would also work with satellite. Now, I have the best of both worlds for any reception, only have to switch to the appropriate cable on the back of the TV set or just add an A/B coax switch.

https://smile.amazon.com/JR-Products-476-B-2--Polar-White/dp/B002UC4WZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14691...
I love me some land yachting

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
As RoyB said, in our TT you push the booster button to switch from the antenna on the roof to the antenna or cables device on the external input.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
iagary wrote:
I also have the dish tailgater. I have never had to call Dish to have a signal sent to it. Just hook it up, turn on the receiver and select your state and GO. It takes maybe 10 minutes to find the satellites, find the signals and download the program guide. Then you are good to go unless the power goes off to the receiver. If so, you have to do the process over again, but still no call to dish for any kind of signal. Mine has sat over for several months at a time and still the same procedure.

Well, dang!!!! Dish told me this was "normal". Maybe I have a different style receiver.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

iagary
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the dish tailgater. I have never had to call Dish to have a signal sent to it. Just hook it up, turn on the receiver and select your state and GO. It takes maybe 10 minutes to find the satellites, find the signals and download the program guide. Then you are good to go unless the power goes off to the receiver. If so, you have to do the process over again, but still no call to dish for any kind of signal. Mine has sat over for several months at a time and still the same procedure.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Tailgater. It uses the same coax as cable. Mine works just fine hooking it to the cable input outside the TT. The only bad thing about them is if you let them sit for a few weeks without using them they "go to sleep" and Dish has to send a wake up call to it. This can not be done without phone service so if you're going off the grid and it's been a while since you used it, try it at home first!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your RV has one of these BATWING OTA ANTENNAs with the DIPOLEs added you have a great antenna to pick up local OTA HDTV signals from the local towns... This along with a modern HDTV LCD FLATSCREEN TV from WALMART does a bang-up job

google image

Just be sure you engage the TV WALL PLATE PANEL to use the OTA Antenna correctly. Once your OTA ANTENNA RF Amplifier that is located in the antenna itself is turned on you have to select ANTENNA from your HDTV menu and point the BATWING Antenna toward the local town that is transmitting the digital TV signals. The ANTENNA shown above is pointing to the bottom right of the photo. Then you can scan in the DIGITAL HDTV signals using your HDTV menu again.

We get great OTA DIGITAL TV reception with our BATWING setup. We have Washington DC HDTV Antennas to the North of us and Richmond VA HDTV Antennas to the south of us. Both are around 50-60 miles away.

This is my BATWING SETUP being used on our OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer... From This location sitting up on SKYLINE DRIVE at LOFT MTN camp we can pick around 100 Digital Channels pointing to the various Virginia towns.

Roy's image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Did you make sure the toggle switch is set to antenna, and did you do a channel scan?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Try the antenna on the roof, you might be surprised. Ours works pretty well.

mds47588
Explorer
Explorer
This is the mod that will get ya what ya what I think, I did it to mine and it didn't take very long and the parts were easy to find most anywhere. I can use the roof antenna and the cable/satellite by merely removing the jumper at the front. Easy!!!

I either use my satellite coax or the park coax into the factory cable input on the trailer.

Click this
-2019 Forest River Wildcat 312RLI
-- Pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500
-- 4WD/Dbl Cab/Reg Bed/3.42rr

...Full timing for work, currently in Nashville...

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
Well my team plays a few hours south...lol, so I need to find way to get games.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
For watching college football, I watch in person. We stay just down the road from you in grass lake