cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhooking a Hensley from a Ram with Air Leveling Suspension

1hammerdown
Explorer
Explorer
To unhook my Hensley with the truck in alt. trailer mode I position my trailer, take all tension off of the weight distribution bars and go into the settings of the 8.4 AN screen and select Travel mode. When the truck has lowered all the way I select Jack mode. I now lower the trailer jack and raise the truck about 1-2 inches and unhook. This is the only way I have found to unhook with the Air Leveling suspension with out the truck jumping up and having a hard time getting the stinger out of the trailer. Have you with this set up found a better way to unhook?
3 REPLIES 3

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the working fast. I use aftermarket air bags and make sure I have truck turned off during the process.

One thing I see in your unhook process (assuming I am reading it correctly) is that you release tension off the jacks, then you enter travel mode which drops the back even further. If that is indeed the case, then you need to check the spring jacks again and make sure you have all the tension off them prior to unhitching.

I always make sure I have the truck off and simply leave the bags where they are pressure wise. Once I have released the screw jacks and am ready to unhitch then I raise the trailer till pressure is off hitch. Get in truck, start, and pull out. Bags don't have time to inflate enough to make a difference.

I used to deflate and such prior to unhitching, but I don't bother to do that as I found it streamlines my unhitch process.

Hope this helps.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
You're lucky in that you can at least turn your auto level on and off. On my Armada there is no way to disable it. There is a delay of about 30 seconds after I turn on the ignition before the auto level reacts. I just have to work fast. 🙂
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting set up.

I had never given it a thought about the air suspension changing as you raise the trailer front with the jack. I guess it might just start deflating if it detects loss of weight on the rear axle, and then would drop a bit as you pulled out.

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com