Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: On my RV Building Plans....

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: On my RV building plans

Well, you spoke..... and I listened.

Thank you to all those that provided feedback to me on my RV building plans. Your ideas and suggestions have been very helpful. Some of the things pointed out to me were;

- My trailer was too high. (This was a rendering error and I corrected it) The actual trailer should come in at no more than 11' now.

- I didn't have enough storage. Now I added a storage cabinet over the desk and an access door to storage below the trailer in the back.

- Someone even pointed out that my tongue was not in the right spot and I corrected that.

If you haven't seen my plans to build an RV or you want to see the rendering revisions I made please go to: MY RV PLANS If you have any more suggestions, ideas or feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

Fondly, -Darla
122 REPLIES 122

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
GdeTrailer wrote:
Then there is the build time.. Something on this magnitude of scale is going to eat a lot of man hrs, building a one off like this you could be looking at 3 months – 6 months of build time in a small shop.

:E I'm planning on 2 month build time plus or minus a week or 2 at the end of the summer. The longest build time of anything is the Corian counter top (they need a 6 week lead time to manufacture). I plan to furnish the builder with specific items that would save some time and not limit me to their selection such as the mattress, the shower panels, the swivel chair, etc. In the last week of the build I'll buy the truck. When it rolls off the lot I'll spend about 2 weeks at a camp ground near the factory (probably the only time I'll see a campground for that length of time) to shake it down and then head west.

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
myrvplans1 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

NOW HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS: While the above is true... if you can weather the nonsense and and get the Blurbs to just drop out of the dialogue you'll wind up with a few really good and worthwhile ideas and suggestions you can actually use. (While in the process helping others here that might have the same project in mind) I've changed quite a few things in my plans based on the contributions in this forum. Please feel free to email me with your concept as I would be happy to provide feedback. Regards, -Darla

You've been given a lot of good ideas and advice here, but you've chosen to shoot that all down with your liberal "just because it's always done that way doesn't mean it's better" train of thought. You're so much smarter than most of the manufacturers and the experienced people here, why don't you just start your own trailer business? Can't wait to see how that goes!

:E If in a forum of ideas a "good idea" can't stand up to inquiries and challenges by others than I question if it's really a "good idea?" I never take offense at someone challenging my ideas... in fact I started this thread for just that reason. It has nothing to do with "being smarter" or "more experienced" than an RV manufacturer. They are a business building RV's with different objectives.... profit margin, competition, market appeal, the ability to mass produce, etc. Things like that don't necessarily translate into an RV that is well built, functional and efficient for a specific purpose (such as mine). As for "Darla's RV'S"?... well, let me get the first one on the road, test it out, assess the feedback and then i'll get back to you on that. You never know! Thanks -Darla

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
myrvplans1 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

NOW HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS: While the above is true... if you can weather the nonsense and and get the Blurbs to just drop out of the dialogue you'll wind up with a few really good and worthwhile ideas and suggestions you can actually use. (While in the process helping others here that might have the same project in mind) I've changed quite a few things in my plans based on the contributions in this forum. Please feel free to email me with your concept as I would be happy to provide feedback. Regards, -Darla

You've been given a lot of good ideas and advice here, but you've chosen to shoot that all down with your liberal "just because it's always done that way doesn't mean it's better" train of thought. You're so much smarter than most of the manufacturers and the experienced people here, why don't you just start your own trailer business? Can't wait to see how that goes!
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
myrvplans1 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Darla, I really believe more thought is required of the door situation. Unless there are three locking points on the knob side, you are pretty much guaranteed to have periodic leaks. House doors open inward for security (hinges inside, harder to pry open), ability to easily add screen/storm door, and are not usually trying to resist 60 mph winds. I also looked at reversing the door on my build, but rejected it because of the leak issue. There are ways of mitigating the wind blowing the door upon opening.

[COLOR=]Hey Grandpa, I am putting more thought into the door situation, but I don't yet have enough facts to abandon the idea just yet. Taking the pros-cons of which way a door swings out of the equation for just a moment are rain/leaks really a factor in a door that swings inward? Is there any way to seal such a door from leaks? Are leaks more likely to be an issue in transit or while parked?

I'm just not understanding why leaks would occur in a door that is designed to seal properly. I get really heavy rain on my home front entry door all the time and that thing never leaks. Even when I turn on my lawn sprinklers near my door...never a drop. If this is really an issue then why do you think inward doors are the dominant choice for all these tiny RV homes that are popping up all over the place?

1) Is this an engineering issue?
2) Please share your thoughts on mitigating the wind.

Thanks! Good post. -Darla

What you should do is put in a door that hinges down like a ramp! Then you could just wheel yourself and your ego right up into your box/trailer!

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
You know what I think would be GREAT for insulation...????????
LEAD.....Mulitple layers...........,,esp. In the Roof......
It would add to the strength,and Keep the X-Rays...ftom penetrating the rig.

I think asbestos would be better in this situation. Less weight.

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
bound4fl wrote:
WOW reading this thread is like watching a train wreck.

Ok, can your 15 minutes of fame be up now? -Darla

bound4fl
Explorer
Explorer
WOW reading this thread is like watching a train wreck.
Killin time waitin on tomorrow.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
myrvplans1 wrote:

Great point! And this was my basis for custom building. I believe that this is another area the big RV manufacturers cut costs with sub-standard materials because as a retail shopper you can't see what's in a wall like you can see the flat screen tv on the wall. Thanks - Darla

Well, not just material quality, but because of weight considerations, the typical RV side wall (and roof structure) doesn't have a lot of 'thickness' to it.

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
gdreese wrote:
It is going to be tough to find a builder that will tolerate Darla. I dont think she will find one.

In business a good builder of anything doesn't "tolerate" they address their customers needs no matter how "tough" they might be. In today's global marketplace a consumer should be tough, they should be informed and they should be confident.

How would you like to be the RV builder when the guy with these plans walked in your door? (You think this customer had to be tough to pull this off?)

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
You know what I think would be GREAT for insulation...????????
LEAD.....Mulitple layers...........,,esp. In the Roof......
It would add to the strength,and Keep the X-Rays...ftom penetrating the rig.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
myrvplans1 wrote:

What also doesn't make sense is that I have a 5k BTU window mount a/c in my den at home which is about the same square footage as my 31' was and that thing freezes me out of the room. Isn't a BTU a BTU? Are RV units overstating their cooling capacity? Thanks -Darla

Don't think RV AC cooling capacity is overstated, but I'd wager the insulation in your stick n' brick was far better (roof/walls) than your 31' TT.

Great point! And this was my basis for custom building. I believe that this is another area the big RV manufacturers cut costs with sub-standard materials because as a retail shopper you can't see what's in a wall like you can see the flat screen tv on the wall. Thanks - Darla

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Darla, I really believe more thought is required of the door situation. Unless there are three locking points on the knob side, you are pretty much guaranteed to have periodic leaks. House doors open inward for security (hinges inside, harder to pry open), ability to easily add screen/storm door, and are not usually trying to resist 60 mph winds. I also looked at reversing the door on my build, but rejected it because of the leak issue. There are ways of mitigating the wind blowing the door upon opening.

[COLOR=]Hey Grandpa, I am putting more thought into the door situation, but I don't yet have enough facts to abandon the idea just yet. Taking the pros-cons of which way a door swings out of the equation for just a moment are rain/leaks really a factor in a door that swings inward? Is there any way to seal such a door from leaks? Are leaks more likely to be an issue in transit or while parked?

I'm just not understanding why leaks would occur in a door that is designed to seal properly. I get really heavy rain on my home front entry door all the time and that thing never leaks. Even when I turn on my lawn sprinklers near my door...never a drop. If this is really an issue then why do you think inward doors are the dominant choice for all these tiny RV homes that are popping up all over the place?

1) Is this an engineering issue?
2) Please share your thoughts on mitigating the wind.

Thanks! Good post. -Darla

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Order please...order... who called this meeting anyways?

Darla - Reduced words were after I typed a page outlining ideas and thoughts we have had for a similar concept 4 season unit etc. time I got around to posting them the thread had gone into full manure chucking mode so I filed them.

Seems there is more interest in an argument than a civil exchange of ideas.

Hi again Fargo!
I would love to read of your plans for a 4 season unit, but know that in posting anything about it you will be subject to unfounded personal criticism, people who don't respond outside your goal (i.e. those that say "just buy one off a sales lot instead") and those that feel if you don't actually change or implement their specific suggestion based on their years of RV'ing experience that in some way you are ignorant, a troll or building a sub-standard vehicle.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
myrvplans1 wrote:

What also doesn't make sense is that I have a 5k BTU window mount a/c in my den at home which is about the same square footage as my 31' was and that thing freezes me out of the room. Isn't a BTU a BTU? Are RV units overstating their cooling capacity? Thanks -Darla

Don't think RV AC cooling capacity is overstated, but I'd wager the insulation in your stick n' brick was far better (roof/walls) than your 31' TT.