cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Carbon monoxide alarm goes off while baking in oven

danv1317
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: After taking the TT to get some service done, it was found that the flap on the rear of the RV that vents gasses had closed. The FLAP is about 9 feet high from the ground, not at eye level, not even near eye level. The flap is made to be open, but also closed when not in use. This had closed and the little buttons that keep it closed were indeed flipped over it keeping closed. I never saw this vent before. The RV service tech said 99% of people he talks don't even know this flap exists outside the rig.

After dewinterizing my 29' springfield and cleaning the mouse nests out of the oven, i started cooking with the oven. Every time i open the oven, the carbon monoxide alarm goes off. I am starting to think maybe there's mice and/or a nest in the vent that goes from the inside the oven outside which is blocking flow. I looked into the oven but see nothing and can't tell exactly where they came in. Would the vent for this oven be on the roof or straight out through the wall and is this something that's possible?

Any other ideas?
33 REPLIES 33

totaldla
Explorer
Explorer
Don't ignore the CO detector - it is telling you the truth. Most are set to go off at 400ppm, which is getting dangerous.

Your oven isn't burning right - get it fixed.

danv1317
Explorer
Explorer
As a side note, it seems as if the oven wasn't cooking as well. Stuff was taking almost twice as long to cook. Could this be because the vent that allows oxygen in is not flowing correctly?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I do not think there is a vent to the oven. What is the color of the flame. It should be blue. If it is yellow, it need more oxygen. There should be a slide on the burner to adjust the flame. Also check the flame holes. They may be closed.

Remember CO KILLS.. . . :M

1. Be sure to run the vent fan and open a few windows.

2. CO alarms do go bad.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe it's getting old. The have a finite life and there's a date on it when your supposed to decommission it.