cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrades to make my generator quieter

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Early last summer I installed the new Cummins Onan 2500i inverter generator in my AF 992. Later in the summer I added the Cummins Onan resonator

I did some sound comparisons with and without the resonator in this video

Without the resonator, If you are standing off to the side, at a 90 degree angle to the exhaust, you don't really hear the sputtering as much as you do if you are anywhere less than 90 degrees, and closer to the exhaust.

What I noticed after watching other videos on the resonator is that it makes an even bigger difference in noise reduction on the non inverter generator - the sputtering those make is pretty obnoxious.
If you have space to install the resonator and use your onboard genny a lot, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Even without the resonator, the new inverter style gen is quieter than the generator I removed, as compared in this video sound test old vs new

My intention was to install the new gen in a TT I had, but I abruptly decided to sell the TT. I had already purchased the new gen, so I needed to put it to use. I decided to install it in the 992.

Before I installed the new gen, I installed some sound deadening mat in the gen compartment. Someone in the AF truck camper group recommended it.
Here's a short video describing that project: sound deadening mat in gen compartment
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
18 REPLIES 18

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
From what you've spent on the new generator and other upgrades

Where was there a mention of how much money was spent on the generator and upgrades?
Bob

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Excellent report. I did a similar job but just a repair of the generator that was in there. Don't mean to highjack your post.

It was a rusted mess that I cleaned painted and reinstalled with the new resonator. I too noticed an immediate sound difference inside but not really outside.
The baffle was popped and was pretty easy to repair.

The repair.

Sound deadening material.

reinstalled.

That was some time back and have since replaced with my new portable Gens.

It's a lot of work!!!!
Joe

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
specta wrote:
From what you've spent on the new generator and other upgrades to it I would have thought it ran for hours on end.

I had planned on using the gen a lot more than I did last summer, but the summer was scorching hot in WA, all summer long.

The only "long" trip I did was over 4th of July week. Due to the heat, I decided to stay at an RV park instead of dry camping, that way I could keep the rig cool all day by leaving the A/C on when I was out exploring the back country on my DRZ 400 dual sport bike.

The rest of my trips were weekend getaways to the same area, but I camped in the shade. The weather wasn't quite as hot on those trips, so I didn't use the A/C much when dry camped.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
specta wrote:
How long do you run your generator for??

At least an hour at a time.

I didn't use it much last summer after installing it because most of my trips were long weekend getaways, 3 day weekends.

From what you've spent on the new generator and other upgrades to it I would have thought it ran for hours on end.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
NVR2L82AV8 wrote:
Here is a pic of my custom exhaust install on the new Cummins Onan 2500i inverter generator (AF 990) utilizing the Cummins Exhaust Resonator (P/N 0155-2449)

How long have you had your new model gen?

It looks like there isn't much clearance between the BBQ propane line and the resonator.

My propane line for the BBQ QD fitting was routed differently than yours.

I like how yours is routed out the back though. That's something I should have done. The problem I found is that no exhaust shops have dies to bend this small of tubing.

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a pic of my custom exhaust install on the new Cummins Onan 2500i inverter generator (AF 990) utilizing the Cummins Exhaust Resonator (P/N 0155-2449)

2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
specta wrote:

At least an hour at a time.

I didn't use it much last summer after installing it because most of my trips were long weekend getaways, 3 day weekends.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the gen noise is coming from the valves, so keeping them adjusted helps a little bit. Insulating around the engine body to silence the valves helps more. So, especially if you have older Onans or similar then check the valves, it is easier than you think, but you need the feeler gauges sold at all autoparts stores

I had my gen mounted to the front of the truck in receiver hitch, so it was farther out and more isolated for vibrations.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Has anything been done to reduce generator run time?

Yes, several things:

Last winter I installed a Pair of Battleborns. They charge faster than the original batteries.

I also installed 4 AWG cables between truck and camper back in 2010.

The last thing I did was install a Victron DC to DC Charger to compliment the heavy cables I added.

With this setup I can easily get 22 amps when driving. That's the most I've seen so far because all of my trips were short last year. The driving was done when the batteries were pretty well charged when I started the 4 hour trip there or back home.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Solar. I don't have a genset and haven't plugged the camper in to the wall in several years.

I reckon that question was directed at the OP....
Bob

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Solar. I don't have a genset and haven't plugged the camper in to the wall in several years.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm glad this is a "telling how" and not an "asking how" thread.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.