cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrades to my trailer - 8.5x20 Haulmark

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
EDIT 3/4/18: Photobucket hosting no workie, which totally ruined this thread.
I am going to work on a video of the photos, along with narration

Here's what I have so far:

Time to convert this thread to videos.

Here's step 1:

Video preview of the trailer

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've owned this trailer since early 2012. It was 4 years old when I bought it. It's a 2008 model.

I bought it to haul my Jeep in, as well as stuff and things needed for camping, such as when I went to Overland Expo in 2012. It also makes an awesome mobile showroom, mini-garage and gear hauler for my other trips.

I'll start this thread from the beginning (from when I bought the trailer) and once I get to "present day" mods/condition, I will make a note of that in the beginning of a post.

It's a Haulmark Edge Pro series with upper and lower cabinets.

Specs:
10k load rating
Rear ramp door
36" side door
Slide-out aluminum step for the side door
30amp AC electrical
roof A/C unit
Bucket flood light on the passenger side
Four 4' interior fluorescent fixtures
Diamond plate floor
L track on the floor
Carpet on the lower half of the walls
Power tongue jack
Bling wheels
Internally mounted auxiliary battery which was vented to the outside

The trailer was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Prior to buying it, I had planned on purchasing a 7x16 trailer, but my thoughts and ideas kept changing with regard to doing what made the most sense financially, plus long term planning on trailer usage.
That's a whole 'nother story, which I will post if someone has interest in hearing it. It might give others an idea of what to think about when trailer shopping.

Here's a few photos the previous owner sent me when he had it listed for sale:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
77 REPLIES 77

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I bought the awning through a wholesaler that supplies them to RV dealers.

Yes, it does have a cover over it. I will find the details on that as well.

The awning I got is a Carefree Of Colorado brand awning.

The style I got has a few options - a release lever on the side arm, which connects to the lever on the roller assembly (which is the doohickey you push/pull to retract the awning). It also has a Fluorescent light in it, which by today's standards is old school. I have never taken the time to put in a power connection for the light.
I will probably do that after the NW Overland Rally trip, which I am leaving for/on tomorrow (Thursday at oh dark thirty)

HanksLBZ
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Awning:

I like the awning. It looks like it has a cover on it. Where'd you buy it and what brand is it? I just bought a 7x14 that I'd like to add an awning to. Thanks
06 CHEVY 2500HD Duramax diesel/Allison tranny(with some Xtra power)
04 Attitude T23AK
15 RZR 1000 XP Desert Edition
09 Yamaha YFZ450 (hers)
04 Yamaha YFZ450 (mine)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Time for a hard start capacitor for the roof A/C:

It's housed in a little enclosure on the right side:

I removed it:

Replace with a new one:

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Speaker wire routing:

Through a hole in the wall inside of the front cabinet:

Dangling for now, where the door spring is housed.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I've been working on the trailer all morning. Part of the work has been trying to come up with a solution to use gridwall display panels inside the trailer, without drilling holes in the walls to mount the panels. I've got a few ideas now.

A week or so ago I was browsing the toy hauler forum and saw mention of a low end Sony car stereo. It has bluetooth control and auxiliary inputs. I've decided to install one - which I had been thinking about before I read that thread.

Today I remembered a spool of speaker wire that I packed up when I moved 3 years ago. I remembered exactly where it was, even though it was still packed in a bin.

I routed it down the left side of the trailer where the wall and ceiling meet, then I reinstalled the trim panels to cover the gap where the ceiling and wall meet.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
This photo shows why it wasn't feasible to mark the light locations based on measuring the ceiling panels when they were not installed. They don't line up with the trailer wall:

I temporarily installed each panel, then used a carpenter's square aligned with the roof framing to make my marks for each light location. This was used to determine the distance from the wall.

Then I used a metal ruler to measure the distance between each light, which is 32".

Then I drew a line and marked the center of the light, and 1" out from the center for the mounting holes.

The ceiling project has been really time consuming. One of the panels had a plethora of lights in it, which was the second panel from the back, so I had to have an assistant hold the panel in place, while I connected the wires.

Last week's project was to finish the ceiling and put away all my tools and wiring supplies, then clean up inside. There was a horrendous mess on the floor, even though I'd already vacuumed the floor when I worked on it about a week and a half ago.

I made a list minute decision last week to attend a Dual Sport motorcycle event, so that was why I focused my efforts on getting the inside cleaned up in a hurry.

Here's a photo with my DR-Z400 ready to go:

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's another photo of the lights near the front:

I'm using two style of lights, one or the other will be on, depending upon what I am using the trailer for.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I gave it the big-rig look and added 3 more amber side marker lights on each side

One of the original lights (very front) is missing in this photo:

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Boatycall wrote:
I LIKE IT!! We need to go campin together some time.... I'm headin to Beverly to play this weekend if you have any sand toys. Hint hint...

I don't have any 4 wheeled sand toys. The toys I do have are horrible in the sand (2-wheeled)

I'm going to be at the NW Overland Rally, as is another member here. (he mentioned it somewhere in this thread)
The trailer should be ready long before that outing - at least I hope!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Boatycall wrote:
What are those lights? 12v or 110v? how much?

They are the most awesome lights I have ever seen. nice bright white, perfect for a work area such as the trailer.

They are DC and have a 10-30v operating range. There's 4 sizes available

The ones up front are the 11"

They'd work equally well as a replacement for a DC fluorescent fixture, like above the sink in my AF811.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
pjay9 wrote:
Nice work! What are the panels made of?

The ceiling panels are 1/4" luan with white vinyl. It's the stuff that cargo trailer manufacturers use when finishing out the interior of a trailer. I kind of dislike it because the vinyl doesn't take much abuse.

It was original equipment on this trailer - I removed it to insulate.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
I mocked up one light by zip tieing it to the ceiling rafters.

Hey, couple questions--

What are those lights? 12v or 110v? how much?
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work! What are the panels made of?
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The first ceiling panel reinstalled, with new lights mounted:

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's a better photo of the ceiling insulation completed:

The lighting project is a chore. After I temporarily reinstall the ceiling panels, I removed them to mount the lights.

When I am ready to fully reinstall each panel, I leave it partially hanging down so I can connect the wires for the lights.