cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility/Support Trailer Builds (Pictures added)

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
I give up. I have searched Utility trailers, cargo trailers, trailer builds and who knows what else and cannot what I am looking for.

There have been a couple of threads here in the truck camper forum about small trailers being built. Like the one PHOTOMIKE is pulling or the one like Jefe 4X4's.

I am in the process of refurbishing an old trailer for a support trailer while on the beach. I have installed a new axle and springs and am ready to start getting the new wood for the floor and sides. I would like to look at these build threads to see if I am missing anything or maybe a different idea. As for rust issues, OSPHO at the local hardware is what all of the oilfield offshore people use.

Since I posted this I guess I am going to have to post some pictures of this thing.

Thanks to all for your help.
Cliff
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug
20 REPLIES 20

artfd
Explorer
Explorer
Do check out this site: http://www.tnttt.com/
short for "Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers" which is mostly about building small trailers designed to be lived in. There is a wealth of information on any and all aspects of building or modifying small trailers for the DIY'er.
I built a truck shell in 2003. By far the hardest and most expensive part of that related project is the skin - something tough, water and travel resistant that doesn't cost a huge amount per square foot.

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you PHOTOMIKE for the reply. I look forward to your links when you get home.

I will check out the jeep forums and see what they have.

Thanks to all that looked.

Cliff
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am on the road right now (without trailer) but a few thoughts that I have learned:

1) Don't use screws or nails. Use bolts with either a lock nut or lock washer

2) Paint the boards BEFORE assembling, easier and you get the ends covered

3) Have seen a number of builds (will look when I get home for the links) that used fiberglass on the corners / seams. Would either do this or run a corner of stainless or aluminum for strength if using off road a lot.

4) I am in the process of recoating the trailer with bedliner as the paint was being an issue with pealing in the hot sun or with rocks or wear and tear. The bedliner was a good price ($100) for the kit and will do the entire trailer.

5) (this one I am still struggling with) I think I would / should have gone bigger. I love my trailer but can see a lot of benefits of a walk in, especially in bad weather or as a guest house.

6) I do love the fact that I used 2x4 & 2x2 for a frame as I can drill into and hang from the frame

7) Find a good idea for the lid if you are using a front like mine to open. This is the only place water gets in and in a torrential downpour driving for 8 hours I do get some water inside.

😎 Remember that you are using this as a mobile unit and standard stay in one place construction may not work. The back door on the trailer is amazing but it would sag when used offroad so I have since put a board under it to stop that and it works so much better.

9) Measure what you will be carrying and even lay it out in the basement or garage for a test fit. I have done a lot of extra mods for things that I could have built into it in the first place like a attic for the lawn chairs and paddles

10) Have fun, actually we had a lot of fun building it and would do it again just for that experience with the boys.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Rangerz
Explorer
Explorer
Go take a peak on the jeep forum. Lot of trailer builds over there that might give you some ideas.
2002 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 4x4 Diesel
2009 Lance 825
2005 Jeep TJ
2010 Polaris RZR
2010 Mirage 16' Enclosed Trailer

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Try on goggle: cargo trailer camper
(I have an 8x10 v-nose I'm setting up as a camper now).
Currently Between RVs

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll post your PHOTOMIKE Utility trailer for you - Have it handy...

With all the can't do without supplies and PLAN B things I would bring along this is probably what I would build up.

Certainly would be a big downer for me using a Truck Camper and losing my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer front deck and truck bed storage space...

I always thought I would ended up with a Truck Camper but never did do it. I love the Truck Camper idea for camping off the power grid places... Just the right amount of wheels on the ground haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS