cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very Expensive RV Parking Spot!

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Bit of a long story but felt like sharing our excitement...

We live in the SF Bay Area where the price of land is insanely expensive. I like to keep my truck and camper parked indoors but living in the suburbs, that isn't an option at home. Instead we keep it at an indoor garage up in San Jose. Kind of interesting actually as the garage is used for exotics like Ferrari's, Lamborghinis and Fort GTs and then of course my big old F350 7.3 with a truck camper!

Anyway... so we have been thinking about buying a fifth wheel for longer trips with our two teenagers and twin babies. The issue is that indoor storage for that in the bay area would be more than the monthly payment for the trailer itself. Not wanting to leave it outside in a lot subject to the elements, we started looking at options. I have family up in Redding and we believe that in 5 years, we will be headed their ourselves to raise our twin girls.

We started looking for some land to purchase and found something worth buying! It is 9 acres that has a seasonal creek and get this... a rock dam built in the 1850s! Behind the dam has completely filled in with sediment so it doesn't hold water. Might look into pulling permits to clear some of it out but given the age of the Dam, guessing the Army Corps of Engineers is going to prefer the sediment. I don't know for certain but I do have reason to believe there is a spring behind the dam (hence why it was built long ago) as there appears to be water that flows out the bottom of the dam even when everything else has dried up.There is a mix of oak and pine on it and it is off the main road so no road noise!

For the foreseeable future, it is just going to be a really expensive parking spot. The plan right now is to use it to park the sometime to be purchased 5th wheel (looking at Heritage Glenn 378FL). I will probably get some RV metal carport to keep it protected until we eventually build a barn / shop to hold the toys and a main house for living if current plans hold up.

Below are some pics of the place taken during the early Spring. Obviously it will be a lot drier in the summer as Redding is but that is okay.

Someday might even host a Truck Camper meetup event as a launching point for an Oregon coast tour or something. Would be fun to see some of you guys again in person!

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
17 REPLIES 17

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a great place. We're looking to move closer to kids/grandkids, (kid is a twin also) but the prices here are ridiculously high now with everybody trying to leave NYC, plus the price of lumber is just as crazy. We keep looking hoping the right place will pop-up. Hope your plan comes together for you and your family.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is that around Manton? I used to deer hunt on leased propert outside of Shingletown back in the early 70's. Love that area!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow, phenomenal man!
Let me be the first to say congratulations!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold