cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viking 17BH bottom drags

qq
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new Viking 17BH. When I tow my new travel trailer on my driveway, the bottom of rear leveling jack drags on ground (see picture). The skid bar is actually shorter than the jack, that's why jack is touching not the skid bar.

If I remove weight distribution bars, the rear will not touch the ground, but the hitch hits the ground (see picture).

Right now I am using the 5th chain on the weight distribution. I could try using less (4,3,2,or 1 chain) to find the right balance. But I am thinking to install some kind of skid wheel. My questions: where to install the skid wheels? rear bumper, skid bar, or somewhere else? I saw a picture about skid wheels over the skid bar (see picture).

Is it possible that I go to Homedepot and buy one of their caster wheels. But I have no idea how I can mount the wheels to my trailer.

Need help / suggestion for an easy / cheap fix. Thanks!
30 REPLIES 30

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Sub par tow vehicles and trailers with the same shortfalls. Most of my tt have 15" rims and the tv have 8 lugs. No jacks or hitches bending.

Loan my son some cash so he can trade his paid for Pathfinder in on a dually so he can get a real trailer.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Sub par tow vehicles and trailers with the same shortfalls. Most of my tt have 15" rims and the tv have 8 lugs. No jacks or hitches bending.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
this might sound crazy (and someone please correct me if it's a bad idea) but what if you put the wheel on the tongue jack, then pull it up slow without the bars? That way the tongue jack isn't on the ground, it's supported by its wheel. Can maybe balance better, keeping the front low (but not too low) and keeping the back from dragging? I'm not sure if those wheels are meant for that, or what it might do to the A frame, but just a thought.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
qq wrote:
. The skid bar is actually shorter than the jack, that's why jack is touching not the skid bar.

Even if the skid bar was longer than the jack, they still wouldn't touch each other.

I'm at a loss as to what the relevance is between one being short than the other and them not "touching each other"

qq wrote:
. The skid bar is actually shorter than the jack

Good ole genius engineering at Lippert Componenets. The frames are made by LCI
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
There's also the problem of your hitch dragging the street as shown. There's no solution for that.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
My son has the same exact TT. His drags entering his driveway. I told him to flip the axles. He hasn't done it yet. But that would be my suggestion.

You can't "flip the axles".

You have to do a "spring over axle" conversion.

Dexter makes a kit for it.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
On level ground, does the trailer sit level? If not adjust the hitch head so it tows level. If it is level now, adjust the hitch head one bolt hole to lower the nose. When the nose goes down, the tail goes up.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
My son has the same exact TT. His drags entering his driveway. I told him to flip the axles. He hasn't done it yet. But that would be my suggestion.
This would be my suggestion as well to put the axle below the springs. Had to do this on a tail dragger that I owned. Dealer did not charge very much to do this and gave me a extra 4" of clearance.

The other issue on the 17BH is the rear sewer drain. It too is low hanging. That's what I told my son to be concerned with.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
This would be my suggestion as well to put the axle below the springs. Had to do this on a tail dragger that I owned. Dealer did not charge very much to do this and gave me a extra 4" of clearance.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:
That trailer hitch looks overloaded to me. What is the payload rating of your tow vehicle? What is the gvwr of that Viking?

Looks like there is a lot of twist in that trailer receiver. I'd check your weights.

Ps, putting wheels on the rear of the frame is a bad idea. It's very easy to bend the frame that way. The frame is not designed to carry all the load that far back. Good luck

The wheels don't mount on the frame. They mount on the sacrificial skid bars. The skid bars will bend long before the frame will.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

qq
Explorer
Explorer
The 3rd picture is when I remove the weight distribution completely. The load on my RAV4 v6 is fine with weight distribution. The ramp idea is not easy since it is difficult to drove precisely so the tires stay on the ramp while backing and turning ate the same time.

I can get on / off driveway fine except the stabelizing jack touchs the ground. I wish the v-shape skid bar is 1 inch taller so that it touches the ground first instead of the jack.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer hitch looks overloaded to me. What is the payload rating of your tow vehicle? What is the gvwr of that Viking?

Looks like there is a lot of twist in that trailer receiver. I'd check your weights.

Ps, putting wheels on the rear of the frame is a bad idea. It's very easy to bend the frame that way. The frame is not designed to carry all the load that far back. Good luck
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
can you back it into the driveway? my neighbor has a low trailer, i have seen him put down 2x8 boards he drives up on which makes it so his trailer doesnt drag. With that tow vehicle, which looks like a Rav4, it would be detrimental to flip the axles as it would increase drag and possible sway from side winds. Those trailer models are low to the ground for a reason. Easier to tow and manage with light tow vehicles.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I added those same wheels to our old 25ft Sunline for our steep driveway. They worked flawlessly. I've seen posts saying they can't/won't work, but that wasn't my experience.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel