cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want your opinion

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a seasonal trailer that's 16 years old. It has the perfect floor plan for me. At 16 years it will need some work before long such as replacing the roof and taking all the windows out to replace dried sealant. It also has a soft spot in one slideout so would need to replace the floor in the slide. I could get all this done for around 10k. The alternative is to purchase a new trailer (same floor plan) for 63k.

The cons for keeping the old trailer is all the appliances are 16 years old but still work just fine. Other then the slide floor the trailer is in very good condition.

The cons for a new trailer is questionable build quality and cost along with having to remodel to suit my needs. Would tear out entertainment center and fireplace and have a custom entertainment center built. (If I can't get the factory to deleate). Would also replace the factory furniture with leather home furniture along with the replacing the mattress.

The third alternative is to have New Horizon custom build a trailer to exactly what I want but cost would be 150k plus.

I have always been frugal with my money but realize I won't live forever. This trailer sits on a seasonal lot and won't be towed.

What's your opinion?
27 REPLIES 27

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Barney you would NEVER find a new TT with the quality of your Sunnybrook. One of my favorite floor plans as well.

3 trailers later, I still miss our Sunnybrook. Wish I had just bucked up and put a new roof on her when the rubber started to go.

What makes it worse is she is still in the same park we are in for the summer and I walk by her most days.

I'd be several thousand money ahead and with a layout that we liked more.
Cheap low cost mfg have run everyone that offered a little quality out of business years ago. I can't complain to much about my 06 Cherokee 30F. I've basically gutted the inside and went with residential furniture.

Bedroom I took out the garbage king and built a queen frame and quality mattress. Took out the cornor cabnet (could hold about a pair of socks and underwater in each of the nine drawers) and desk and replaced with nice oak linen cabnet. Took out the miniature sink and vanity and replace with residential sink an oak cabinet. Replaced bedroom carpet with residential carpet and pad. Covered all vinyl flooring with laminated floors. Tore out the entertainment center and had a carpenter build a oak cabnet for the lcd tv and Sony home theater system. Took out the bar, dinette, jack knife sofa and replaced with leather love seat and recliners. The only thing left original is the kitchen cabinets and appliances. If I keep it will take those out and put in a deep sink and new cabnets with a solid surface countertop.

I despise RV sinks and facets, to shallow, small and poor draining (the drain is higher then the bottom of the sink). The prior bathroom sink was so small you could probably wash one hand at a time.

The memories and friends I've made are priceless. The floor plan is ideal along with the 7'ceilings. The openness makes it feel like a small home.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
colliehauler wrote:
Barney you would NEVER find a new TT with the quality of your Sunnybrook. One of my favorite floor plans as well.

3 trailers later, I still miss our Sunnybrook. Wish I had just bucked up and put a new roof on her when the rubber started to go.

What makes it worse is she is still in the same park we are in for the summer and I walk by her most days.

I'd be several thousand money ahead and with a layout that we liked more.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
Imagine how many countries you could visit for $50,000. Rhino-line the roof. Have a handyman reseal the windows. Slide a 1/8" steel plate over the soft-spot. Call it a day.
Actually close to what I had planned. I had a Mobil rv tech give me a estimate for replacing the slide floor. I told him fine go ahead and replace it. He never showed back up despite repeated calls. He charged me $150. for the estimate stating he would take it off the cost of the job if I proceed. I have finally given up on him so my plan was to replace the foot or so of rotted chipboard. I plan to use 1/8" metal to tie it together with the good portion on the top and bottom. The couch will sit over the top of it anyway.

Family told me to just purchase a new trailer and be done with it. That is why I asked for opinions.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Imagine how many countries you could visit for $50,000. Rhino-line the roof. Have a handyman reseal the windows. Slide a 1/8" steel plate over the soft-spot. Call it a day.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III

For a brief time Excel built a few TT before they closed. I thought about trying to find a used one.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are in the same situation. Our trailer is 17 years old, sits permanently now in our sons beautiful family campground, and it is fine shape except for needing a new roof and the fiberglass is quite dull all around from the sun beating on it. It has never leaked however.

We have just about decided to do a complete tear-off/replace of the roof covering and also do a full body paint. The total cost of this will be a bit less than $20,000 but will give us a new looking RV that we will be proud to give to our son when we are done using it for our summer getaways.

With the cost of new RV's and the quality problems, it is my feeling that we are much better off keeping what we have rather than replacing it. We really love the trailer and it fits us perfectly. The large appliances (fridge and air conditioner) have already been replaced a few years ago and everything else still looks and functions perfectly.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
I'm hearing two conflicting thoughts reading between the lines:
- You want to make the best financial choice...in which case repair and upgrade will win easily.
- You are trying to justify the fancy new unit...in which case, if you can afford it, just do it.
Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence on this one. That's why I'm getting opinions. Other then a boat payment I have no other dept and I have been making 4 payments a month to git rid of them. Can I afford it, easily. Do I want to turn loose of the cash not so much.

It seems the conscience is to repair what I have.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’d spend my money on repairs and upgrades. Since you really like the floor plan, why go through the trouble of recreating it?
Biggest concern I can see is getting quality work if you are not going to do it yourself.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'm hearing two conflicting thoughts reading between the lines:
- You want to make the best financial choice...in which case repair and upgrade will win easily.
- You are trying to justify the fancy new unit...in which case, if you can afford it, just do it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd rehab what you have if you like the floorplan. Removing windows and replacing the butyl tape is very messy but fairly simple work.

Our motorhome had 15 year old appliances but they all still worked just fine despite looking a bit dated.

We did upgrade the built-in TV with a LED model, but other than that, if it ain't broke, leave it alone.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
This trailer sits on a seasonal lot and won't be towed.

For that kind of usage, I'd fix it and keep it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Don't understand statement about 220 vs 120. Did you mean 50 vs 30 amp. Since they are all 110 in US.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
QCMan wrote:
Have you given any consideration to a used park model?
Yes I have, but the used prices for what I want are to close to new price. I'm looking at a Ceder Creek Cottage 40 CRS.

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have you given any consideration to a used park model?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member