cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wear on WDH chains

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
When I was hitching up to head home from our recent camping trip I noticed the start of some wear on the links of the chains for our WDH. Mostly it is the links down the bottom where they attach to the tension bars.

A couple of years ago I had to replace the chains because one of the links in the chain popped a weld. The link didn't fail, but I did replace the chains with heavier duty chain so its a little fatter and has less room to move. Is this kind of wear normal? should I look at replacing these chains every few years as a wear item? Should I just replace my chain with the standard gauge?

Thanks
Scott
2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH
12 REPLIES 12

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
Try e-trailers website.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have noticed a 'slight' bit of wear on the chain link that attaches to the bar of my Eaz-Lift setup. It's over 13 years old, but not enough to cause me any concern at this time however. The amount of wear that is present is pretty much insignificant, IMO.

I'm at about #650 TW with #1000 rated bars. Works fine for me.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have worn out the chains on a previous hitch.
There are a LOT of factors involved as to how long a chain will last.
The chain actually moves quite a bit when turns are made. I had the opportunity to ride in the truck bed and observe the WD bars/chains when moving.
Usage, time, and types of roads will all have and impact on when a chain wears out.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I'd ask the manufacturer what type of chain, maybe even see if you can order it directly from them.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
first things first,

How tight is the bottom half link with threads on it that attaches the chains to the torsion bars? There should only be 1-2 threads showing past the lock nuts.

I did always grease the contact point on the snap up chains, but thats all I did.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
After some more thought I think I know what's happening:

I replaced the chain with one that has fatter links. The link I hang on requires me to rotate the chain 90 degrees to hang it, it doesn't line straight up to the hook. So the fatter links are binding on themselves as I go down the road causing some wear. (the wear is on the inside of the links where one link contacts the next)

So I'm going to replace the chain with one that more closely matches the original. Does anybody know what that could be? 30 grade 3/8"? 70 grade?

Thanks for all the replies
Scott
2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
You need to see why it is wearing and also remember that there is a huge difference in the "Grade" of chain. They may look alike, but they aren't.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

SALEM1
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
My WD bars are almost 30 YO and are just fine. They should not really move around that much.

Same here. Mine are 12 years old with no wear to show. You need to look for the root cause.
2015 Forest River Salem 27RLSS
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Hemi

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was hitching up to head home from our recent camping trip I noticed the start of some wear on the links of the chains for our WDH. Mostly it is the links down the bottom where they attach to the tension bars.

A couple of years ago I had to replace the chains because one of the links in the chain popped a weld. The link didn't fail, but I did replace the chains with heavier duty chain so its a little fatter and has less room to move. Is this kind of wear normal? should I look at replacing these chains every few years as a wear item? Should I just replace my chain with the standard gauge?

You might want to determine where the chains are wearing. What are they rubbing against? Something does not sound normal.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
You should pat yourself on your back that you do an inspection on your setup not many do. I have seen it too many times worn out equipment, people think these things lasts forever, well they don't.
If you suspect there could be any danger 'replace it' it's better to be safe than sorry.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder if I have my bars under too much tension. I really have to jack my trailer up quite a bit to get them snapped up.
2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
My WD bars are almost 30 YO and are just fine. They should not really move around that much.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln