cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Odor

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
We have the strangest odor in our TT...it smells like an ash tray! (That's my best description.)

We bought our TT in March, obviously used from CampingWorld and we were able to go into it and look it over before they even had a chance to clean or detail it. (They got it in that same day!) Never even a HINT of bad odors or even anything attempting to cover a bad odor. (Wife and I are non-smokers and can smell it a mile away.)

We stayed in the TT this year for 30 nights throughout the Spring and Summer and had NO issues at all. Late this summer I took the TT to our local RV Repair shop (kind of a ma and pa business) for some minor work. Ever since then it has smelled of cigarette butts. (I know that the wife of the RV shop DOES smoke...but I've seen her doing it and she ALWAYS goes outside. And the repair area is ALWAYS wide open during the summer with tons of ventilation. All that leads to me question HOW it might have picked up an odor there...but that's when it began.

I really love the folks who own the RV Shop, and I'm not planning on speaking to them about it. But I wanted to ask here what the best way might be to get an odor out of the TT. Is it just a matter of airing it out sufficiently or is there something we can get to help out?
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
18 REPLIES 18

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Use a Bad Air Sponge. I have problems with fragrances. These things work to remove odors and they don't give off any masking fragrances.

They are used by people who professionally clean disaster sites.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is that someone working on the trailer has left some butts in it, in some place that is not obvious. Take it apart with a fine-tooth comb... under the bed, under the dinette seats/furniture, every drawer, cabinet, the space around the water heater, the wardrobe, medicine cabinet, anywhere else they might have been into.

And if you can't find it, take it back to the shop.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
We had similar problem until we realized that our MaxxAir fan was working so well that it was drawing in cig smoke from other campers and they weren't that close to us. Took a few days of airing out and some room freshener to eliminate the problem.

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
If it came up all of the sudden it could be a drip/leak causing mold, or overflowing water from the refrigerator drain line or evem condensation leaking onto carpets from "sweating windows".

Febreze!

It's actually amazing how well this stuff works! They have sprays, de-oderizers, candles, stickups and they actually WORK!
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W