cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, today it happened!! ~Updated~

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving down the freeway got the message for low fuel pressure. Few seconds later in to limp mode. Barely got off the freeway safely. AAA towed my truck to the Dealer. My HPFP grenaded at 9300 miles!! Took the injectors with it along with a myriad of other junk. And I do mean JUNK. 2016 Suer Duty with 9300 miles!!! Run nothing but Chevron diesel from a high volume station.

I'm done!! Back to gas!! Don't care if I only climb the mtns at 45 MPH!!! :M:M:M
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
177 REPLIES 177

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I believe so, but my statement still stands about how his VP44 failure took out injectors and pistons. He may have had problems, but I don't believe his VP44 was behind it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Saturday he lost the pump, three injectors and three pistons."

On a 2000??? NEVER heard of such a thing. Newer truck maybe but a 2000 just from running straight ULSD I am in serious doubt.
Too true, how would losing a pump on this particular engine affect the injectors and pistons? I think he got his years mixed up. Lots of VP44's went south when the lift pump failed, and I don't know any that took out injectors, let alone pistons too.

You are correct he has a 1999 not a 2000. However the VP44 pumps were used in the 1998.5 thru 2002 trucks correct?
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

On a 2000??? NEVER heard of such a thing. Newer truck maybe but a 2000 just from running straight ULSD I am in serious doubt.

Don't be, The older truck were not set up to run on ULSD and require an additive to keep them alive. I took my truck in when the ULSD came out because I noticed a marked increase in the engine. I was told by the Cummins shop right next door to a large Ram dealer. They adjusted the valve lash and told me if I wanted the truck to last to start using a lubricant in the truck. The gentleman that worked on my truck told me to buy the cheapest trans fluid I could find and a a quart to every tank of fuel. I went with a after market lube instead. I will tell you that if I didn't add it to the fuel with in 1/4 of a tank I could hear the difference in how the truck sounded.

Don

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Bought my last Ford in 1979. Glad things worked out for DJ.

Really? Everything everywhere has changed since then! That’s like saying I bought my last bag of charcoal 20 years ago because it had a couple broken pieces in it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my last Ford in 1979. Glad things worked out for DJ.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Too true, how would losing a pump on this particular engine affect the injectors and pistons? I think he got his years mixed up. Lots of VP44's went south when the lift pump failed, and I don't know any that took out injectors, let alone pistons too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^ Incredible Fish! ^^^^^ There are idiots born every day that have knee jerk responses to everything.

Idiot? Really?

I think I said "IDIOTS".

Okay, I'll bite too. You used the plural. There was two people that you quoted so I'm assuming that you are calling me an idiot also?

THIS is what I said in response to what FISH posted YOU had NOTHING to do with it, I actually did a separate post right below the multi post. lOOk below... He had a "LINK" if you were to have looked that I is what I was referring to. I'm no English Major but it was fairly clear to what I was referring to.

"^^^^^ Incredible Fish! ^^^^^ There are idiots born every day that have knee jerk responses to everything."
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^ Incredible Fish! ^^^^^ There are idiots born every day that have knee jerk responses to everything.

Idiot? Really?

I think I said "IDIOTS".

Okay, I'll bite too. You used the plural. There was two people that you quoted so I'm assuming that you are calling me an idiot also?

Are you all SERIOUS????? I am talking about the things people do in general NOT specifically anyone HERE!!!!!!!!!

Are we CLEAR now???????

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
So he lost a pump in a 18 year old truck? I have two 06 models in my fleet. One with 350,000 miles on it that I put injectors in 15,000 miles ago and the other has 10,000 hrs on it with only 250,000 miles. Both of them still have original pumps and have been starting great in this 0* weather that we have been having this winter. The trucks are not plugged up either.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Then I hope you don't have to deal with fuel contamination because Ram, GM and Ford techs all look for signs of contamination before any warranty work is approved plain and simple. If your fuel system gets a taste of water, rust will follow and a complete fuel system is in your cards.

As for the problems they're not widespread like you and others portray and most people don't live in fear including myself.

I 100% agree with your first statement as it should be. No vehicle manufacture is going to pay for damage not belonging to them! They wouldn't be in business long if they did.

I also agree with your second statement too. The CP4.2 has not had any issues since Bosh corrected their coating issues.

Were we disagree is your statement that the Ram CP3 has issues with the ULSD. Bosh knew about the LSD and ULSD fuel and made changes to their pumps along with the injector manufactures to protect them.

Now pre 2007 trucks no matter the brand need to use a GOOD lubrication additive to keep their trucks alive. Those trucks are not designed to run either LSD or the ULSD. After 12/1/2010 the only fuel for road use in the North America is ULSD.

I have buddy that works with me in my department and never used an additive in his 2000 Ram 2500 CTD, even after I told him time and time again that he needed to. Well last Saturday he lost the pump, three injectors and three pistons. The guy that does his work on his truck told him it was from NOT running an additive to lubricate his fuel system.

Don

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
What kind of additive for anti-gel did you use? If none, that can damage your pump

Not putting an additive can damage your pump? All the vehicle manufactures tell you not to use additives and if you do to use only theirs.

Myself I run additives and don't care what Ram thinks.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

I have not personally seen a 2017/2018, but read in several publications that the tank was in the same place... And some said even more obnoxious that before... So the fill would pretty much have to be the same. I suppose it could be anoter door on the passenger side, but it could not share the same door as the diesel fill which is on the driver side.

The Fords DEF and Diesel share the same door.

I can tell you with certainty it is still under the hood on a 2018 HD. I also think it will be a pain, but have not had to add any yet. I think they are moving it on the 19's, at least on the new 1500 diesels. One of the linked videos of the Detroit Show had a shot of the new1500 fuel & DEF filler door.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Idiot? Really?

I think I said "IDIOTS".

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

kc8yhk
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
kc8yhk wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Idiot? Really?

I think I said "IDIOTS".

Well that's not very nice.

Ok. I will bite. You have never thought of some people's actions as making them idiots? If not you just have unusually pure opinions of people.

I'm not sure what makes them idiots. There's more to their story, that you may not be aware of.