cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are advantages and disadvantages of travel trailers

newatrvinginohi
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody, we are new to this site and exploring rving. We are pretty sure we want to get a travel trailer and have some questions.

We are not rushing into this decision as we are planning on renting a travel trailer this spring or summer and taking it out for a week. We will then be renting a fifth wheel and also taking it out sometime. We have actually been looking into this for 3 years and will not purchase for at least 18 months. So, we plan on getting a lot of practice in before we purchase.

We are also a family that has extensive camping experience as we are the proud parents of two Eagle Scouts and got to do plenty of camping while they were growing up (tents, bare ground, cabins).

1. How do you secure the travel trailer when you want to take your truck and drive somewhere else and would you say it is pretty safe to leave your travel trailer once secured?

2. Can you park travel trailers in Walmart, Target, etc. or non-rv camping sites? I am asking this because I assume that Walmart parking lots, Target parking lots, etc., don't have a hookup to hook your travel trailer up to and I assume it wouldn't be real secure sitting in a non rv park. Is this correct?

3. What do you think are advantages/disadvantages to having a travel trailer versus a fifth wheel or other RV?

Thanks!!
85 REPLIES 85

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

Congratulations on the new truck. I'm sure it will serve you well.

That said, part of your post stood out to me:

"I towed our 6800 pound (loaded for camping) trailer with our F150 for 5 years. We also live in Ohio, and towed that combo to New England numerous times, South Dakota, Tennessee, and other places in between. We had no problems during those tows."

In my mind that speaks volumes. In the real world it worked. But of course, it sounds like perhaps in your case, "what price, peace of mind?" Nothing at all wrong with that.

We still can't deny the fact the good 'ol 1/2 ton did the job. As many do.

We can almost always solve many problems, whether real or not, by throwing money at it. I know I have, many times over the years. But to those detractors who often times say, "you can't do it....you need a bigger truck".......well, sometimes reality is a bit different.

Now then, where did all those emoticon buttons go ??

That is why I included what I did about the previous trips. We had a good experience with the F150 and 6800 pound trailer (with the exception of the split out hitch receiver). I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I had to replace the truck as I am reimbursed partially for use where I work and they have maximum age restrictions. I looked at F150s again, but I could get into the F250 for almost the same price. As we plan longer trips post-retirement, and will load the truck with more stuff, the extra payload became more important. The recent 150/1500 trucks will do a lot of work. The 250/2500 trucks will carry more stuff.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Explorer II
Explorer II
We rented TTs for years with no interest in owning one. At the time we could pay $300/weekend once or twice a year. The kids were happy, I didn't have to worry about monthly payments, storage, maintenance, tires, etc.

What we did learn from renting is floorplan. We rented a different model almost every time. By the time we decided to buy we already knew the toilet had to be located a certain way, what showers to avoid, How much storage and closet space is required and not to get a slide that blocked the restroom.

When you start renting TTs pay attention to what works for you and more importantly what doesn't.

Have Fun
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Regarding the 3/4 ton. If you can fine a 1 ton SRW (Single Rear Wheel), there is almost no cost difference but you get a little more cargo capacity. Both will ride like trucks and are otherwise almost identical with most parts shared beyond a few suspension items.

So if you find them for similar price, go with the 1 ton SRW.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

newatrvinginohi
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I will take more time this evening to reply to the great individual comments that have come in since my last reply. Here is just a quick update and reply.

You all have helped us out in more ways than you can imagine. You have us thinking of things we had not thought about.
Our tentative plan of action:

a. We don't currently have a truck but understand (and we knew before posting, that we would need a truck) we will definitely need a good powerful/strong 250 or more truck equipped to haul a trailer.

b. We definitely plan to rent both a truck and a larger u-haul unit to practice some towing and practice backing before we actually rent the trailer.

c. My husband has been on Youtube ever since the suggestion of Youtube and has found all kinds of great information and has already learned a lot.

d. We originally were going to rent the trailer and truck and take it camping in a nearby state. We are now still planning on renting the trailer and truck and taking it to a nearby area just so we can practice backing, practice driving, learn the water system and how that all works, learn the way the rv parks work, learn the hitching and learning the securing and locking down the trailer.

e. We are assuming that when we rent the truck, we can request one with the proper hitch. Haven't done it yet, so who knows what we will find when we do that. It is all a learning experience for us.

f. We have found out the kids say they doubt they will go with us often so that solves that for us and we can get a smaller TT which will help us in many ways as many of you have suggested starting with a smaller TT.

g. We plan on visiting some rv parks and stopping to talk to people in them who have tt's if we see people available to talk to.

h. Of course we have some time before we purchase (18 months or so), so we will be saving, saving, saving which is much easier when we have such an awesome goal we are striving for. We had originally looked at small Class A's, Class B's and Class C's and probably with the cost of a used TT and nice used truck (not too old), it would be comparable to the cost of some of the A's, B's and C's we were looking at.

i. I am just waking up and have not had much coffee yet, so I am sure I am forgetting many other points. Again after work tonight or another night this week, I will take time to respond to those of you who have responded since my last post as my husband and I both greatly appreciate each one of you who has responded. We consider you all to be part of our journey in learning how this all works. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
You already have much to consider. Just my $0.02. I do think it's a good idea to look hard at the 250/2500 series trucks. I towed our 6800 pound (loaded for camping) trailer with our F150 for 5 years. We also live in Ohio, and towed that combo to New England numerous times, South Dakota, Tennessee, and other places in between. We had no problems during those tows. After running the truck/trailer over a CAT scales, however, I found that I was over the rear axle rating by almost 500 pounds. As we are nearing retirement age, and hope to do even longer trips, I was nervous about that. Additionally, during a truck hitch inspection, I found that the receiver box was starting to split out, and had to have it welded. We did upgrade to an F250 a few months ago, and I appreciate the additional peace of mind. Another thing to consider: if you rent a TT or 5er, what about the hitch? Maybe you addressed this and I missed it. With my current F250, I can tow this trailer without a weight distribution hitch (I don't tow without it, as I already had it, and use it, but the truck specs allow it). If the truck you buy requires a WD hitch for the weight of trailer you are renting, someone will have to supply and set that up. Same for a 5th wheel.

Congratulations on the new truck. I'm sure it will serve you well.

That said, part of your post stood out to me:

"I towed our 6800 pound (loaded for camping) trailer with our F150 for 5 years. We also live in Ohio, and towed that combo to New England numerous times, South Dakota, Tennessee, and other places in between. We had no problems during those tows."

In my mind that speaks volumes. In the real world it worked. But of course, it sounds like perhaps in your case, "what price, peace of mind?" Nothing at all wrong with that.

We still can't deny the fact the good 'ol 1/2 ton did the job. As many do.

We can almost always solve many problems, whether real or not, by throwing money at it. I know I have, many times over the years. But to those detractors who often times say, "you can't do it....you need a bigger truck".......well, sometimes reality is a bit different.

Now then, where did all those emoticon buttons go ??

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe that the OP was going to rent the truck and trailer as a set. In that case, the rental company should have it all worked out appropriately. Maybe she can verify that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
You already have much to consider. Just my $0.02. I do think it's a good idea to look hard at the 250/2500 series trucks. I towed our 6800 pound (loaded for camping) trailer with our F150 for 5 years. We also live in Ohio, and towed that combo to New England numerous times, South Dakota, Tennessee, and other places in between. We had no problems during those tows. After running the truck/trailer over a CAT scales, however, I found that I was over the rear axle rating by almost 500 pounds. As we are nearing retirement age, and hope to do even longer trips, I was nervous about that. Additionally, during a truck hitch inspection, I found that the receiver box was starting to split out, and had to have it welded. We did upgrade to an F250 a few months ago, and I appreciate the additional peace of mind. Another thing to consider: if you rent a TT or 5er, what about the hitch? Maybe you addressed this and I missed it. With my current F250, I can tow this trailer without a weight distribution hitch (I don't tow without it, as I already had it, and use it, but the truck specs allow it). If the truck you buy requires a WD hitch for the weight of trailer you are renting, someone will have to supply and set that up. Same for a 5th wheel.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, I am glad you have decided to go with a 2500 level truck with a trailer that weighs over 6,000# empty. I have a 1500 level truck and a trailer that is 4,800# empty with a GVWR of 6,000#. I am comfortable with that combination, but would not want to go much heavier with that truck.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Given that you currently have a 1/2 ton truck, I would suggest getting a used travel trailer to start.

SoundGuy wrote:
Maybe I missed it but I didn't know we knew that. :h I thought the OP said their intention was to rent both a truck and a trailer, which is why I suggested earlier that if they already had some other vehicle such as a minivan or SUV they might consider first trying this out with a popup to start.

valhalla360 wrote:
You should be able to pick up a 24-27' TT for $4-6k.

SoundGuy wrote:
However if they already own a 1/2 ton truck then sure, it makes sense to buy a small to mid-size used trailer and try it out before committing large sums $$$$$$ to new purchases.

valhalla360 wrote:
My bad, I read "we will have a 1500..." and incorrectly assumed they had the truck already.

No worries, I thought maybe I had missed a part of the conversation where the OP said they did already have a 1/2 ton. :? If she had been a bit more precise in providing information in her first post we wouldn't have been wandering all over this subject so much. :R Knowing now that this is an adult couple about to retire who used to scout camp but have never owned an RV of any type would have helped considerably. We also still don't know what their current vehicle(s) may be and whether one may be suitable for towing a small popup so they can try this sport out first without getting in too deep. :h And for all the keyboard pundits out there so willing to jump all over my bones any time I may post - when I suggested the OP consider a used popup that doesn't necessarily have to mean a soft sided folding tent trailer as there are other configurations out there that also could easily serve the purpose of initial exploration into the sport. A hard side Aliner couldn't be easier for an adult couple to deal with - tow it with almost any V6 powered vehicle and all they have to do is drop it on the ball and go. Some models do have bathrooms and anything else the OP might want in a trailer. If not an Aliner then any one of number of small RPod trailers would also be quite easy to tow and a lot simpler to deal with than a conventional travel trailer. Fact is, there are plenty of viable options out there others won't mention that could be entirely suitable for the OP provided we knew what their current vehicles may be. That's it, I'm done, the usual forum pundits can continue to thrash among themselves, but I wish the OP well in her search. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
SoundGuy wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Given that you currently have a 1/2 ton truck, I would suggest getting a used travel trailer to start.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't know we knew that. :h I thought the OP said their intention was to rent both a truck and a trailer, which is why I suggested earlier that if they already had some other vehicle such as a minivan or SUV they might consider first trying this out with a popup to start.

valhalla360 wrote:

However if they already own a 1/2 ton truck then sure, it makes sense to buy a small to mid-size used trailer and try it out before committing large sums $$$$$$ to new purchases.

My bad, I read "we will have a 1500..." and incorrectly assumed they had the truck already.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobbo wrote:

This is not necessarily true. We have some friends who had never RVed before. They decided they wanted to go to Alaska, so they bought a TT, hooked it up, and went to Alaska. That was a year or so ago. They are taking it back to Alaska again this year. (The first time, they drove across Canada. This time they want to take the ferry.) Some people do well by just jumping in with both feet.

For every story like this there are dozens where it's a horror story. The exception does not make the rule.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We know a little more now. I'm going to jump to a conclusion. Take it for what it's worth.

You should be able to pick up a 24-27' TT for $4-6k. The big thing to look for is no signs of leaks and check that all the systems are operational (get it hooked up to electricity and run them). Search the forum for tow ratings, there is more than the 1 number you need to consider and make sure you are within the ratings before buying.

This gets you into the game for not a lot of money and short of buying a total dud, you should be able to get out with little or no lost money. Then in a year or two when you are more knowledgeable and have some personal experience, you can decide if you want to move to a different RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
When I retired my wife said if we were going to travel and see the country we had better do it before any more self-destructive body part gave out.

So with the grandkids off to college we rented a 25 ft TT for a 10 day trip to the Ozarks. We discovered the TT size was fine for driving through city streets to find quilt shops etc. but the floor plan really did not work as well as expected and my 200 hp F-150 did not have the horses to pull the load.

We went to several RV shows to evaluate different floor plans, picked up an E-boost F-150 4x4 and a three year old Dutchmen TT. It took us several months to find the right TT, but we have put 30,000 miles on it as we start our fifth season.

Three things make a good RV purchase; floor plan, tow vehicle and cost. They all have to be suitable but floor plan remains, when all else is resolved.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.