cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What battery? - if we never dry camp

orggardn
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my trailer in and had the brakes and bearings serviced. While there, had them install the Husky electric jack.

Thinking that my breakaway brakes ran from the truck connection, I had been running without one. I now know better. So I am in the market for a battery. The only use will be for the breakaway and the power jack. We never dry camp (at least not in the last 20 years).

Is there any need to get anything other than an auto battery? What would you recommend? Auto or otherwise.....

Since we won't use it much, what would be the best way to maintain it?
Me, "The Woman" & a dawg
2013 Ford F150 XLT Supercab
Between rigs & looking
8 REPLIES 8

orggardn
Explorer
Explorer
As always, good timely advice. On the way to Costco at lunch to look at marine battery options.

The solar charger options sound interesting. I've looked a few, but most seem to be designed for the "interior" of the car. Is there a good choice for using in the weather (on the battery box - removed while trailering)?

I will also look for a battery tender and remove the battery to the garage for the winter.

Thanks.
Me, "The Woman" & a dawg
2013 Ford F150 XLT Supercab
Between rigs & looking

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
orggardn wrote:
Battery really prefers to stay 100% charged. Best to stay plugged in or add some solar. Could dismount and use a small Battery Minder.

Or just make sure you are 100% and disconnect the terminal to prevent any parasitic drain. This is good for about three months.

If the battery becomes a bit discharged it is subject to freezing and permanent damage. Fully charged is good to -70F.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with many of the other comments. get a marine deep cycle battery, whatever fits the battery tray. Don't buy the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. One from Costco, Sam's club, etc. will do fine. But for it to last you don't want it to run down very many times, so you need a battery disconnect or disconnect the positive terminal when not in use. If it is storage for more than a few months, either put on a solar charger or put a charger on it for a day or so.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the cheapest hybrid marine deep cycle you can. Every time you put it in storage, put the battery on a battery tender. Should last darn near forever.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the prices at Costco. Look for the smaller and lighter, and less expensive battery. Anything over 100 CCA will work fine to run the brakes for the 45 seconds it will take to stop the RV in event it comes away from the truck. And also be large enough to run the power jack.

You might also be using it to power lights in the RV while getting it ready for a trip, or when you get home, before plugged into shore power.

A group 24 battery would be around 85 amp hours, and probably well over 400 CCA's. That is about the smallest battery for your application.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Any inexpensive hybrid marine-starting battery would be my choice. You will want a disconnect switch to interrupt the current from the battery to the trailer while in storage if you don't remove it or disconnect a cable. The parasitic draws of the trailer will draw the battery dead within a week or two.

You'll probably also want the battery to be connected to the vehicle's charge wiring so the battery is recharging while on the road. That will make up for any fridge load or the parasitic loads and afford a fully charged battery for the emergency braking system.

Beyond that, check your built in converter and that it is charging the battery correctly when connected to shore power.

A hand held multimeter makes checking all of the above easy.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
any marine deep cycle will suffice.
bumpy

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
orggardn wrote:
Just had my trailer in and had the brakes and bearings serviced. While there, had them install the Husky electric jack.

Thinking that my breakaway brakes ran from the truck connection, I had been running without one. I now know better. So I am in the market for a battery. The only use will be for the breakaway and the power jack. We never dry camp (at least not in the last 20 years).

Is there any need to get anything other than an auto battery? What would you recommend? Auto or otherwise.....

A dog club I used to belong to had a trailer they used for all of the equiptment they needed at the trials. It was kept at a storage yard close to the events, which was quite a distance from any members. Usually whenever it was needed, someone would volunteer to go get it. So there was never anyone that really took care of it.
They had it set up with a small solar panel to keep a maintainence free battery (optima) charged.

That was a totally trouble free setup. It never failed to be ready when it was called into service. And it never needed any attention.

It cost a little more to get it set up, vs. just putting a cheap battery in it. But it was hassle free.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW