cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is best hitch and electric brake for 8,000# trailer?

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Have to setup a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel 5.9L truck to pull a 8,000# Airstream trailer.

What is the best/recommended hitch and electric brake for doing this safely?

The Airstream recommended hitch is an E-Qual-i-zer brand but want to make sure we install the best. Is this the best hitch to use?

Do not want to cut any corners when it comes to safety.

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

John S.
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
18 REPLIES 18

Gazzer
Explorer
Explorer
I had the E-Qual-i-zer which is a good sway control WD hitch, the sway control is controlled through steel to steel friction. After a white knuckle experience I researched, purchased and installed the ProPride 3P hitch which is the next generation Hensley as in Hensley Arrow and actually eliminates sway rather than just control it. It is like night and day difference, the trailer tracks like it is on rails and I no longer feel the big rigs passing or me passing them like I did with the E-Qual-i-zer. Some will say you don't need to spend the amount for the ProPride or Hensley, but to me, just one white knuckle experience avoided which could lead to a deadly situation, is worth every penny for the added safety of my precious cargo!

Cheers,

-Gaz

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I'd think about an e2 hitch as well. Sway & built in weight distributing. Plus you can backup without removing any bars, etc.

And a Prodigy 3 brake controller. Easy to set and use!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
John S wrote:
Have to setup a Dodge Ram truck to pull a 10,000 # Airstream trailer.

What is the best/recommended hitch and electric brake for doing this safely?

Hi,

What ton rating is the suspension of your Ram? 1/2 ton, 3/4 or 1 ton? The 1st part of saftey starts with the truck when you are talking a 10,000# loaded camper.

Do you know what the empty tongue weight of the camper is and what others with that floor plan have for a loaded tongue weight? A 10,000# camper can be in the 1,300# to 1,500# loaded tongue weight and it helps to know this as it may eliminate some brands of hitch.

The best WD hitch IMHO is the Pull Rite hitch. That said they only have 2 size WD bars, 1,000# and 2,000#. Before getting the 2,000# WD bars need to make sure from air stream the A frame can handle them.

The next best are the Hensley and the Pro-Pride. They come in up to 1,400# WD bars.

The next in line is the Reese DC and the Equal-I-zer. The Equal-I-izer tops out at 1,400# WD bars while the Reese has more options, 600, 800, 1,200, 1,500 and 1,700# WD bars and you can change WD bars and not the entire hitch.

If you have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, any of the ones mentioned will do a good job if the rig is setup correct. The longer the wheel base the better.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Ram? 1500,2500, or 3500?
Best can be subjective.
Brake controller? Most consider the Prodigy to be one of the best.
Hitch? Hensley Arrow or similar tend to be one of the best for towing. But you may not need a Hensley if your towing with a 2500 or 3500 series truck