cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is unusual/ wrong with these Pickup Trucks?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer

This one has a bit of Patina on it
36 REPLIES 36

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
The F150 in the top photo is a 1987-1991. 1998 was the second year of the all-new F150 with the Triton modular engine and independent front suspension

Thanks, I knew it was pretty well end of the F150 model run here

When did Ford stop exporting them to Australia?

See RHD steering wheel, we also had some lightenings here as wel, but they were private imports

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Ford stopped importing the F250 in 2006 it had the 7.3 international harvester engine an was build in Brazil I believe with the right hand stirring wheel, not sure about F150.. we had a F100 with the 4.1l inline 6 and later a 2006 F250 with the 7.3 still very popular hear in OZ. Since then had aF150 with the 5.4 gas, a F250 6.2 gas , and now a 2015 6,7 diesel.
Frank.

Not that popular Frank, Ford stopped selling them in 2007. Best selling Pickup by far is the Ranger. None of the others even got near the Rangers current success

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
The F150 in the top photo is a 1987-1991. 1998 was the second year of the all-new F150 with the Triton modular engine and independent front suspension

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ford stopped importing the F250 in 2006 it had the 7.3 international harvester engine an was build in Brazil I believe with the right hand stirring wheel, not sure about F150.. we had a F100 with the 4.1l inline 6 and later a 2006 F250 with the 7.3 still very popular hear in OZ. Since then had aF150 with the 5.4 gas, a F250 6.2 gas , and now a 2015 6,7 diesel.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
rjstractor wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
I agree that most trucks of that era only had standard cabs with a single bench seat for three. IH was one of the early manufacturers of a crew cab in the mid 50's and these first models really were set up for work crews. Once Dodge introduced the extended cab in the early 70's, you started to see a family in the cab rather than in the truck bed, truck camper or trailer.

Back in the day, your average passenger car was a beefy body on frame with a V8 and rear wheel drive...it was a decent towing platform (all be it anemic by today's standards) that could take a family of 4 camping.

Also, I recall as a kid, it wasn't uncommon for kids to ride in the pickup bed with a cap on it.

As cars moved toward uni-body and 4 banger engines, they became less suitable for towing. That drove people to trucks which retained good towing capabilities. As it became unacceptable to ride in the back of a pickup, that added further push to create cabs suitable for a family camping trip (among other uses).

For a while, full size vans held their own but with family sizes shrinking, a 4 door pickup offers similar MPG, similar towing and enough space for passengers, so body on frame vans are a dying breed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:

This is when US Pickups were sold from Ford Dealerships in Australia. A 1998 by the looks of it F150, with a 351 cu in engine, I took this photo in Dec 2017

A Silverado with a Caravan

A Dually notice the Bull bars in the front

The F150 in the top photo is a 1987-1991. 1998 was the second year of the all-new F150 with the Triton modular engine and independent front suspension.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is about GM's Bedord Trucks that were built in England and what happened too them? They did sell some in Australia

What led to their demise was the failure to capture the British Military Contract for Trucks, they lacked the teachnology of the mainland European Companies. Margaret Thatchers meddling also helped their demise

A Ford 250 Ute very obvious from the Bull bars, most F250's were used as " Utes" towing a very secondary consideration, if at all. These were sold in Ford Deslerships

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Are you talking to me? If so, I am not a member of any TFL forums. The only forums I have been active in in the past few years that are vehicle related aside from this one is the Cummins forum, a few Ram forums, and a few BMW diesel forums. So I am afraid you have me confused for someone else, again.

Really??? Keyser Soze, posts the same Ford Graphics and Cummins infirmation like you, must be your twin. Heveven uses the same phrases

Sorry, not me. Like I said, I am only active here, in the Cummins forum, in a few Ram forums, and BMW diesel forum. I used to be active in a few F150 forums, but that was over five years ago when I had my F150. I don't have a membership to the TFL forums, and I do not know anyone that does.

This is not the first time you accused me of being someone else from some other site. If I were these other people you keep saying I am, believe me, I would be more than happy to say so.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Are you talking to me? If so, I am not a member of any TFL forums. The only forums I have been active in in the past few years that are vehicle related aside from this one is the Cummins forum, a few Ram forums, and a few BMW diesel forums. So I am afraid you have me confused for someone else, again.

Really??? Keyser Soze, posts the same Ford Graphics and Cummins infirmation like you, must be your twin. He even uses the same phrases:R
Now my question to you seeing you got everything else wrong
What is the speed of tow vehicles in the US? inquiring minds would like to know?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Keyser Soze as you are known on TFL forums, my post was about a EUROPEAN Pickup Truck, the PHOTOS are EUROPEAN VEHICLES. Australia is not part of tbe picture.They do have some hills in Europe called Alps
Tbose photos showed US Pickups that were sold at dealerships in Australia, now disappeard. Your post was total B/S and way off the mark
Try your industry "facts" back at TFL Truck. By tbe way how is your clapped out Honda going?
Also what are the towing speeds for tow vehicles in the US?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Europe has plenty of pickups. It's just that they are usually configured with Van cockpits and flatbeds with removable sides.

Mostly get used for commercial work. Not so much as grocery getters.

I don't see them much more capable than a cutaway E450 although they do have more engine variations. Europe is much more constrained by road width and regulations which makes these more popular. I'm sure more pickups would be sold in Australia if the costs were not so high for such a low volume market so far away. When you're on a sparsely populated island, costs are always higher and selection poorer.

I agree, it is not much more capable than an E450 although a lot of that has to do with what you stated and the fact that our vehicle classes are at different weights than Australia. Our Class 1, 2A, and lower 2B vehicles below 9,920 lbs(4,500 kg) GVWR are in Australia C class. Our higher 10k GVWR 2B, 3, and class 4 are in Australia's class LR which is from 9,921 lbs to 17,637 lbs (8,000 kg).

So our 150/1500 and some lower GVWR 2500's like the Ram Power Wagon or Titan XD would be in Australia's class C, and most other diesel/big gas 250/2500, 350/3500, and 450/4500 would be in Australia's LR class. Our 550/5500 class 5 vehicles would be in Australia's MR Class.

The main draw back to these Iveco chassis vans that are shown is that they only come with a 210 hp 3.0L diesel engine. This may be fine for flat landing, lower elevations, and slower road speeds for Australian tow vehicles, but will not work to well in our higher elevations, steeper grades, and faster average road speeds for tow vehicles here in the US and Canada.

Edit: I forgot to mention that our midsize trucks like the Colorado and Ranger are in class 1 here which is capped at 6,000 lbs (2,722 kg) GVWR so they are in Australia's class C as well, but on the very low end.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD