cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What PU to Buy

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
What PU to buy for a 30ft TT? Any suggestions? We just sold our Class C and want/need a PU. So combining the need for a PU and an RV, we have decided that a PU/TT would work for us. What engine for every day driving and handling a 30ft TT? Thanks for any help.
34 REPLIES 34

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 30' trailer is at the upper limits of many 1/2 ton trucks and over the limits on some. You will need to be very careful buying in the 1/2 ton arena. Prime example would be F150. There are versions, with as little as 750 lbs payload, and 5000 lb tow capacity. Not enough to handle a 30 foot trailer. And, there are versions, with almost the same payload / tow capacity as an F250. Not all F150's are created equal. Same conditions exist with other manufacturers. Depending on trim levels, they can have a wide variation in capabilities.

Give yourself some breathing room and start your search with 3/4 tons.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
The RAM 2500 6.4L is at the top of the list for most. You can't go wrong with such a capable truck. It can pull a TT at near the performance of a fifth wheel.
MM49

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 3/4 ton Dodge with a Cummins diesel that use to pull a 30 foot TT with a Goldwing motorcycle in the P/U, I have gross weight of 17,500lbs, and I have no problem at all...hope this helps.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree as stated above. most salesman will tell you "oh yes this truck will tow a mountain". It all depends on what you need and or want. I personally would not go with a 1/2 ton unless you buy a small TT. a 30 ft, some manufacturers say their TT's are 1/2 towable. I had one of those and did tow with a 1/2 ton. I bought a 3/4 ton and it is night and day difference. I have a 35 ft now and the 3/4 ton does a good job with it. my way of thinking is, if you buy a 1/2 ton now and later you go even bigger or heavier, then you have to buy a 3/4 , so why not buy once and get the 3/4 now.

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should look at the weight of a 30'trailer you like,along with the tongue weight. Then decide what truck/engine combination, you are going to need to handle it.
Do not allow a TT salesperson, or a truck sales person make your decision for you.
Please do the research, and post questions here.