cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What roof do I have

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I hope this is in the right place, so here goes: I was on the roof of my 2009 Amerilite by Gulf Stream last week adding max air vent covers.
While up there I did a thorough check of all sealants. It is a little dirty but in good shape. I saw a couple wrinkles that looked like they could use some sealant, at the front and rear edges. I put some pure silicone on them. Was back up there today doing something else and noticed my new caulk didn't adhere. Would this be because it wasn't clean enough, or the wrong sealant. I'm not sure what roof materials this is, but want to get the right sealant on and working before I get a leak. Any ideas? Forgot again, what size are pics supposed to be?

2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
12 REPLIES 12

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As far as cleaning the roof, the more you clean it the shorter the life.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I was up there replacing cracked gutters, which state to use silicone. While I had it in my hand I figured it was better than nothing. OK I was wrong. I will try taking the A/C grille off and looking at the bottom side of the membrane. That sounds like exactly the kind of clue I needed. Thanks everyone. You are the best.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
dan-nickie wrote:
The problem is 'silicon' will not stick.
Get some product made for RV roofs like 'Dicor' sealant caulk.
You need to remove the silicone and do it correctly.

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
Take the grill off the air conditioner inside the trailer. You should be able to lift up a corner of the roofing material. If it is white on the on both sides of the membrane it is TPO, if black on the side that is glued down it is EDPM.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
trailer didn't come with owners manual. All other original paperwork incl factory invoice to dealer. just found some excerpts of the manual online. Yup , it's a rubber roof.

Thanks for all the input.

Some folks guessed TPO membrane, but it looks more like EPDM membrane since it appears to have a slight texture to it. TPO AFAIK is a very smooth surface texture.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
trailer didn't come with owners manual. All other original paperwork incl factory invoice to dealer. just found some excerpts of the manual online. Yup , it's a rubber roof.

Thanks for all the input.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
dockmasterdave wrote:
Not being sure what roof material this is, any suggestions what to clean it with? I usually use a car wash soap and water.

Typically, the RV or the roof membrane manufacturer will recommend cleaning the roof with Spic n' Span.

Yep that is also another approved product for rubber roofs, spic n span or murphy oil soap, also RV supply houses have the approved product for sale as well..

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
Not being sure what roof material this is, any suggestions what to clean it with? I usually use a car wash soap and water.

Typically, the RV or the roof membrane manufacturer will recommend cleaning the roof with Spic n' Span.

Ideally, any resealing you need to do should involve first removing all the old sealant. Tedious, time consuming and you need to exercise a great deal of care, but it's your best bet to insure leak free roof penetrations and seams.

Some on the forum would suggest using Eternabond tape to seal roof penetrations and seams, but I can tell you from firsthand experience if the surfaces you wish to seal with Eternabond aren't dirt and debris free, it will not stay stuck to the membrane material. On our new WhiteHawk, Jayco apparently used Eternabond to seal the membrane seam at the outer wall on the slideout. It is already coming loose, either because of poor preparation/application, or Eternabond really isn't..................:h

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:

Looks like a TPO rubber type roof, but not sure, check your owners manual before cleaning, rubber roofs require a certain type of cleaning, mine has TPO and I clean it with murphy oil soap 1 x per year.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget the Silicone, first clean real well then use a Dicor sealent that is self leveling......any RV supply place will have what you need or order from Amazon...

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is 'silicon' will not stick.
Get some product made for RV roofs like 'Dicor' sealant caulk.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB