cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's more important? Kids space or living area?

leamaarie
Explorer
Explorer
We are upgrading from a Rockwood Roo 19 foot Hybrid to a 35+ foot quad bunkhouse hard shell travel trailer. We camped in our Roo for a few months, so anything is an upgrade when it comes to size. We have been looking at so many different floorplans that we are very confused as to what to get. We will be not only living in it for about 7 months, but after that we will use it for camping too in the future. We are looking at the Forest River Wildwood QBTS and the Forest River Signature Lite 8327ss or something similar without the outside kitchen. We have 4 kids and would like them to have their own space, but we are wondering if their space is more important than the living area. I do love the kitchen island, but with that we lose space inside the bunkhouse.

So, my question is, for those living in these with kids, in your opinion, what is more important? Is a kitchen island really that great to have?
22 REPLIES 22

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
Ah i missed the last line
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
The OP plans to live in theirs for 7 months, so just a wee bit different than camping.

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
I dont go camping somewhere to spend all day inside, so beds are more important to me. Id rather have a nice bunk and bathroom setup than lounge/living area.

Im sure in the future my idea of the perfect camper will involve elaborate living quarters, but for now sitting outside and watching kids play/fishing/hiking is why i go camping
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you that my kids wont outgrow the bunks, they are 4' x 6'. We did our shakedown trip over the weekend, and it was a bit tight for the 5 of us, and my trailer is 28'. Kids get restless, and need something to occupy themselves with. I have seen quad bunk trailers that had an area between them in the rear that would make for a gaming area, where they can sit around and play board or card games, but that too will get old. Maybe setup a tv on the back wall for them.

So the big question, do you sacrifice your sanity for them, or for you? Either way you will lose your sanity being couped up in a small trailer with 4 kids for any length of time. I found out right away that lack of counter space for cooking meals, or just washing dishes can be a burden. I am going to get a pair of those folding shelf brackets and add a countertop to the end of the cabinet by the sink in mine, every bit of space helps.

I just checked that floorplan and it is what I would get if I were in your position. The kids would have their own area, and so would you. I think I had actually considered that trailer, but was too big and heavy for my TV.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
You've already answered my first question when somebody asks about what kind of floorpan to get, and that is, how do you plan to use the trailer. With that out of the way -

envision being inside the trailer for a stretch of bad weather lasting a couple of days. Where is everybody going to wind up hanging out? Our two did not necessarily hole up in their bunks (although at any given time at least one of them did). Mom or Dad may be relaxing on the queen bed, somebody would be occupying the sofa and anybody left over may be seated at the dinette doing whatever. We typically pull the CG's picnic table in under our awning, so one or more of us would wind up out there, too.

I don't know that the island is all that important (although very nice to have) but what IS important is that you have enough counter space for food prep. I know this because I am often the chef, too!

When we bought our current TT one of the requirements was that it be able to keep us from having family melt-downs when we were on long trips (a month or more). That planning paid off and I suspect it will for you, too. Good luck!!

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If the kids don't have their own space, they'll ALWAYS be in the living area with you. :E

Setting up and taking down the dinette and/or couch gets old, real quick.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
How long will the kids fit in the bunks?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Bunks are essential to us. The kids get their own space and you don't have to convert the living and dining twice a day.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB