cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's wrong with bumper sewer hose storage???

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
I've read about and seen some really cool ideas for storing the slinky but still can't figure out why folks won't use the rear bumper storage (If available)?

I know the factory caps fall off and the hose can easily fall out but wouldn't it be a lot easier and cheaper to make a good cap with latches/hinges/fasteners on it for the existing bumper than it is to fabricate a completely new device to hold the sewer hose?

Help me out. I'm likely improving the factory bumper caps on mine this week. Have I missed something? Is there a reason not to?

I've even seen square PVC pipe the same dimensions as the rear bumper mounted right on top of the rear bumper??? WHY?
60 REPLIES 60

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
We've always used the bumper and as someone mentioned, we put the hinge type "door" on and that works great.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
9 years in the bumper and no issues. That is for my 20 footer! I have a small tote secured to the A frame for my regular 10 footer and fittings.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I slid a section of plastic rain gutter into my bumper to collect water, prevent rubbing on bolts, etc.
bumpy

Planedenn
Explorer
Explorer
Ours came already in the bumper. Someone at some point got a brainy idea of using a long 1/8 drill bit and drilling top and bottom and through the cap and cut a piece of coat hangar and bent the end. No matter how hard a bump you hit the chances of the coat hangar to come out of both holes and cap dropping and hose falling out are slim. I'm not a fan grabbing a sewer hose out of the bumper so we always keep gloves around.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
W.E.BGood wrote:
Yaj said..."The problem is that the rust acts as a abrasive on the sewer hose, eventually wearing small pin holes in the hose." DingDingDingDing.

X2, it's an excellent way to rust out the cheap, sheet metal bumpers, then tear your hose on the rust. I carry mine in a blue Rubbermaid tote in the back of the truck along with my flush hose.

..and those rubber end caps fall off so often, I quit buying them and leave them off my new trailer. I know there are fixes and pins, etc, but I don't need to bother with 'em
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on type of hose and fittings, some fittings don't fit in the bumper tube. I carry enough hose to reach just about any dump hole, so I end up with multiple fittings. The square PVC fence post makes it very easy to get the hose in, including my 90* end.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We used the bumper in our last TT for 8 years and didn't see any rust. We use the bumper in our current trailer. When we stop we remove the cover, take out the hose and leave the cover off. It is as dry in there as it is outside.

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
I used the bumper on the previous 5er to store the sewer hose with no problems. I did put a good coating of paint inside of the bumper with a small roller to prevent any rust from forming. I would do the same with this 5er if it had a rear bumper. Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
Yaj said..."The problem is that the rust acts as a abrasive on the sewer hose, eventually wearing small pin holes in the hose." DingDingDingDing.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen that a lot of the factory fit bumpers were just four inch. My trailer did not come with a bumper, so I made one out of five inch PVC fence post with a gutter in it. I can store my hose in it with the fittings on both ends.
So as it turned out, I am glad this trailer came with no bumper from the factory.

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
What happens over time is, the small amount of water in the hose will help the inside of the bumper to rust. It would take a long time for the bumper to rust through.
The problem is that the rust acts as a abrasive on the sewer hose, eventually wearing small pin holes in the hose.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
In my case the bumper storage was a bit yucky from the prior owner. And I was worried about rust.

So I made one of the fence post/rain gutter units and now I easily store 2x10' hoses plus a shrinking garden hose with nozzle (dedicated for cleaning the waste hoses and gear). I did buy an extra 5' hose and it now lives in the bumper.

My "extra" use for the in-bumper storage is when we stop somewhere for the dogs to do business and there isn't a trash can around for the resulting bag of waste. It goes into the bumper until our next appropriate stop.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
Ah hah!!! So, I am not alone! So whats all the hubub about fence posts and PVC storage then?

I figured rust issues would be no worse than the water that already finds it way in there from road grime.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Last trailer had cheapie stamped bumper so I stored it in a PVC tube. New trailer has square tube bumper. I added ventilated caps and keep the hose in there.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use bumper storage. As long as only one end has a fitting, I'm fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman