cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What size trailer?

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been towing fivers for 25+ years. Don't really like towing a TT. But due DWs health issues I need a handicapped unit and a TT toyhauler is the best choice. Assuming a ProPride hitch, what length and weight limit is reasonable with my tow vehicle? 3500 diesel CC 6.5 ft bed SRW. TIA
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos
5 REPLIES 5

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I worked with a guy who had a custom-order Gulfstream 5er that was set up for a wheelchair user.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw a keystone outback 324CG that may work for you. 56" wide ramp that enters at the front curbside of the trailer. Side ramp may make access easier especially at campgrounds.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVcrazy wrote:
A TH may not be your best choice. Look at access to the bathroom & kitchen. Some TH may not have the same heat & cooling in the back portion. Consider checking with a manufacturer like Northwood (Arctic Fox & Nash. They have made handicapped units in the past by enlarging & changing the bathroom door & shower. They also will omit one side of a dinette if you want to keep storage to enable wheelchair/ mobility chair access. These changes can be paired with either a ramp or power lift to the RV entrance. Just another thought... Best of luck on your new choice.

Actually looking at handicapped specific unit with roll in shower and under counter micro. Probably 34 ft and 10k dry. No wall partition so heating and cooling won't be an issue.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
With your truck, size is unlikely to be an issue.

I can see the toy hauler as a nice option as it's got a ramp making it easier to get in and out. Might need to adjust some of the doors and really look at the bathroom arrangement.

One issue to consider is most toy haulers are set up assuming you have toys balancing the load. If the back is empty, they tend to have high tongue weight.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
A TH may not be your best choice. Look at access to the bathroom & kitchen. Some TH may not have the same heat & cooling in the back portion. Consider checking with a manufacturer like Northwood (Arctic Fox & Nash. They have made handicapped units in the past by enlarging & changing the bathroom door & shower. They also will omit one side of a dinette if you want to keep storage to enable wheelchair/ mobility chair access. These changes can be paired with either a ramp or power lift to the RV entrance. Just another thought... Best of luck on your new choice.