cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What To Do With These Wires

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
I have removed the useless vent hood (doesn't vent to the outside of the trailer) and it had a purple and a white wire coming in from both sides (total of 4) that were spliced into a black wire and a white wire on the vent hood. What is the correct way to connect these wires now that the vent hood is gone...just wire nut purple to purple and white to white?

(I have a Fantastic Vent almost directly over the cook top so the vent hood was useless.)

Thank you for reading.

40 REPLIES 40

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
Update...We traced the wire that was used to connect the vent hood that was removed. It starts at the control panel which is by the door, runs down the side underneath the false floor in the cabinets and connects to the slide control panel. The vent hood was at about the halfway point on that route.

Nagrompj
Explorer
Explorer
dmullen wrote:
The speakers are on the opposite side of the kitchen area.

You did fine! The wires you where working with were white and one had a purple stripe. The speaker wires are colored "purple, blue, orange" or whatever with a black stripe on one of them.

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
The speakers are on the opposite side of the kitchen area.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
jessjosh61 wrote:
Our trailer uses purple and white wires for one of the speaker channels for the audio system. That may be what you have here if the stereo is installed near here.

Bet that was the OP's problem then, a sound track got stuck in the vent. :B

westend
Explorer
Explorer
jessjosh61 wrote:
Our trailer uses purple and white wires for one of the speaker channels for the audio system. That may be what you have here if the stereo is installed near here.
Now, I have no idea what the OP had or has. "Crimped together" typically means a connection is made rather than attached alongside. If the OP had the speaker wires connected to the two power phases, there would be a lot of buzzing, for awhile, at least.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jessjosh61
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, Carla, Jessica and Josh
2014 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4, 6.0, 4.10, 11 MPG :E
2010 KZ Spree 289KS

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
Nagrompj wrote:
dmullen wrote:
Used the proper size wire nuts and connected purple to purple and white to white, taped for extra security and tested everything. No problems. Thanks again to this forum for the assistance.

Good job!
Just a thought. Why not install a light in place of the range hood. It would cover up the hole where the wires came out and give light over the stove.

I am putting a brown baking pan over the entire area where the hood was installed to catch any steam that the Fantastic vent might not take care of. I should be able to put a light towards the back of the area that won't be above a burner.

Nagrompj
Explorer
Explorer
dmullen wrote:
Used the proper size wire nuts and connected purple to purple and white to white, taped for extra security and tested everything. No problems. Thanks again to this forum for the assistance.

Good job!
Just a thought. Why not install a light in place of the range hood. It would cover up the hole where the wires came out and give light over the stove.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The original vent hood had a black wire and a white wire. A purple wire and a white wire coming in from the left side was crimped together with the black wire. A purple wire and a white wire coming in from the right side was crimped together with the white wire. The controls for the vent hood were on the hood, fan and light.
You must have one or both of those wires, either purple or white, not connected to anything else. Otherwise, you would now be shorting the two phases together if your first statement is correct.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good to hear that everything worked out for you.
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
Gaffer222 wrote:
Install a 12 volt light where the fan hood was. You should however first check the manual that came with the stove as it should show minimum distance to combustible surface. Once you removed the fan hood you now have a combustible surface exposed above the stove top.

What I have done is installed a baking sheet on the cabinet bottom where the vent hood used to be, problem solved. I am also lucky on my camper that there is a large distance from the cooktop to the bottom of the cabinet.

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Install a 12 volt light where the fan hood was. You should however first check the manual that came with the stove as it should show minimum distance to combustible surface. Once you removed the fan hood you now have a combustible surface exposed above the stove top.
2007 Ford Expedition Limited w/Tow package & 3.73 Rear end
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy
2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Reading the wires coming from the panel you will find which is the hot. There is no easy way of identifying polarity on the other set unless OP knows what they feed. If it is a lamp, the shell will be the negative and the base pin would be the pin.
In his statement it sounds like the field side was reversed. It is possible that connecting up color to color may reverse or straighten out a manufacturer defect in wiring.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker