cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What TPMS should do...

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Have an option to add temp sensors to the hubs.

I wonder is shader valves on the grease caps would send hub temperature using the tire pressure caps?
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
21 REPLIES 21

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Kip....I'm looking into this one
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
Maybe you have a defective unit

I spoke to the engineers there and they said that it would not detect if a tire fell of. "That wasn't a design parameter" ???$#@%^%$

They did replace the main unit once for another issue and it does the same thing.

And I don't like how it cycles from tire to tire or you need to index it manually.

I'd like to find one that shows tire pressure and temp for all the tires all the time, without cycling through...

Know of any that offer that?

I have a tire minder system that shows all 4 tiresโ€™ pressure and temps at once.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, all were serviced under 6000 miles ago. Other two wheels went another 15,000 before service. Not my first rodeo. I'm kind of OCD about maintenance.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
"NOPE...It doesn't. I had a hub get so hot after a brake wire shorted out that it melted the entire inside of the hub out! "

I do not understand how a shorted brake wire caused your problem.

X2 One would think a shorted power wire would have the opposite effect with no braking to that hub.

I agree, the fault was cheap bearings or lack of bearing maintenance.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer

I spoke to the engineers there and they said that it would not detect if a tire fell of. "That wasn't a design parameter" ???$#@%^%$

They did replace the main unit once for another issue and it does the same thing.

And I don't like how it cycles from tire to tire or you need to index it manually.

I'd like to find one that shows tire pressure and temp for all the tires all the time, without cycling through...

Know of any that offer that?
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I had driven cross counry to Oakland CA. I stayed at a campground up in the hills that had a 12% grade for a mile or so when you departed the campground. Engine brake on the diesel and trailer brakes were used to slow me down.

We surmise that somehow, that brake jammed on either there or somewhere between Oakland CA and Bakersfield CA. The trailer fabricators suggested that the brake "shorted".....We really have no idea. We were surprised the wheel didn't come off or start a fire! That was one hell of a trip....And It didn't get better from there!!!!! Two blown universal joints, rubber alligator I hit in the middle of the night destroyed the radiator fan and then the brand new transmission I just had installed two months earlier started leaking....All of this happened in three days!!!!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
"NOPE...It doesn't. I had a hub get so hot after a brake wire shorted out that it melted the entire inside of the hub out! "

X2 One would think a shorted power wire would have the opposite effect with no braking to that hub.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
On the one I have you can set temperature parameters. Other than this one time, I've not had any heat issues so I don't know if there is an audible warning or not.
Actually, I think the unit I have is real crappy. I can unhook the trailer an an hour later it is still showing me that the trailer is connected and I'm showing tire pressure even if I'm miles from the trailer! A wheel could fall off and there would be no notification!

It's a TST brand unit......

Very odd. I have a TST system and it won't do that. If the monitor is out of range of the sensors it comes up blank showing no sensors.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they can get hotter on one side versus the other, and there can be variations among that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I can see air temperature difference from one side of the trailer to the other, depending on direction of the sun and my travel direction. Black tires can get 10 degrees or more hotter when facing the sun verse being on the shade side.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My Eeztire will alert me in an instant to any tire losing significant pressure, and shows that one wheel often runs a few degrees hotter than the others. I assume that's correct..I do check temperature frequently.

That's a pretty bad mishap you had there.. something I dread almost every time I drive.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
On the one I have you can set temperature parameters. Other than this one time, I've not had any heat issues so I don't know if there is an audible warning or not.
Actually, I think the unit I have is real crappy. I can unhook the trailer an an hour later it is still showing me that the trailer is connected and I'm showing tire pressure even if I'm miles from the trailer! A wheel could fall off and there would be no notification!

It's a TST brand unit......
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
I had a hub get so hot after a brake wire shorted out that it melted the entire inside of the hub out! And I never got a high temperature warning with the TPMS.
Is it set to give a warning, or just show the temperature? Mine don't have a high temp setting.