cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to replace tires on 2008 F-450 dually? Age? Tread wear?

Monty-Rob
Explorer
Explorer
The tires on my Ford F-450 have hit the 5 year old mark with 46,500 miles on them. The tread still looks ok. My question is aimed more towards the age factor. What are your recommendations. We are workamping for the summer so will not be pulling the fifth wheel till September
2014 Lifestyle 37CKLS (Sold January 2018)
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat (Sold January 2018)
2012 Started fulltiming on February 1st (stopped fulltiming December 21, 2017)
14 REPLIES 14

bwdboss
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the Michillens (they were on the truck when I got it) on my F550 with Hercules brand. 19.5 225-75 G rated. $155.00 each. My son did the mounting and balancing. Great price but I have been told not a great rain and snow tire. Living in AZ that is not a big issue for me. Also put the stear tire front and rear.

mike mck ......I read somewhere where Hercules has moved some of their manufacturing offshore, I was thinking of these tires for my F-450 , can you see where they are produced ? How is the steer handling with these tires ?

Thanks , Brian
08 Ford F-450 Gold CC Lariat
07 Newmar Kountry Aire 37KSCS

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Monty-Rob wrote:
The tires on my Ford F-450 have hit the 5 year old mark with 46,500 miles on them. The tread still looks ok. My question is aimed more towards the age factor. What are your recommendations. We are workamping for the summer so will not be pulling the fifth wheel till September

If your not seeing cracks in the side walls you should be fine.

I just replaced the Michillens (they were on the truck when I got it) on my F550 with Hercules brand. 19.5 225-75 G rated. $155.00 each. My son did the mounting and balancing. Great price but I have been told not a great rain and snow tire. Living in AZ that is not a big issue for me. Also put the stear tire front and rear.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Just went shooping for 20 inch tires for my F250. Since I didn't have a dually I did not want to push them. I checked Discount Tire, and Ford. For the past couple of years Ford has had the best prices. I ended up with BF Goodrich, and really like the look of them. With your Dually and plenty of tread I think I would run at least one more year and maybe 2. Watch for crack in the sidewalls. Definitely pull them at that point
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Monty-Rob
Explorer
Explorer
That is correct...tires are 19.5 and G rated.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
The poster did not specify that those are 19.5 tires load range G on that 450 in his profile, my original Continental tires barely lasted 50K before they were at the wear bars.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
OOOOO! I like the magnet idea. Thanks for stirring the old brain cells!

They need it!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
How do I know if they have steel sidewalls? I have Firestone Transforce load range E's..

I am looking for tires for my F350 too.

Thanks!

Spec sheet or magnet; your choice. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do I know if they have steel sidewalls? I have Firestone Transforce load range E's..

I am looking for tires for my F350 too.

Thanks!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Engineer9860 wrote:
5 years isn't something I'd be concerned with.

I'd run them to at least 7 years if your sidewalls have not rotted, like one brand does :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I go 7 years on LT or P tires. 4, MAYBE 5 on ST.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
6 years old is a conservative limit. I would start looking for a good price next spring. If you have steel sidewalls, get replacements with steel sidewalls. Changing to polyester sidewall tires - you will regret it the first time down a hill, when the trailer is pushing the truck into the corners. The steel sidewall is much stiffer, and I learned the expensive way to get the right tire the second time.

I just made a trip with two front tires that have a date code of 3401. Right rear look the worst with a date code of 1105, that is 8 years old, I know it is way to late to change them, but I had no money, and did make it safely.

The other two tires have a date code around 2207, if I recall right. My spare, I am afrade to look. I think it might be 04 or 06 - but still I will need 7 new tires before another trip. I know these have been on borrowed time, and if gas prices where not so high, I might have wanted to go camping, but lately the RV has stayed parked. Next month it will be parked again for another 6-8 months!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
I replace mine when they wear out, or get to 7 years old per DOT code.

No tire trouble except a few repairable punctures in over 200,000 miles. Works for us. Not sure if it makes a difference, but we never use Chinese tires.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
5 years isn't something I'd be concerned with.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Monty-Rob
Explorer
Explorer
I should note that tires are dated 10th week of 2008.