cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to place jack when changing flat tire?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
On my last camper to change a flat, I always used a bottle jack under the frame to jack up the travel trailer. It had normal dual axles. My new camper (Forest River Vibe) has spread axles. Also, on the curb side, there is a propane line attached to the bottom of the frame running all the way to the rear bumper mounted grill. Where would be the best location to place the bottle jack if and when I need to change a flat? I'd rather have this figured out ahead of time. Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Under the axle right where the spring is attached. If the bolts don't damage the axle, your jack won't. Just don't jack from the middle of the axle, only where the spring is.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always put mine under the shackle.
Never under the frame. You can bend the frame.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom spring perch which is no longer in use since axle flip. Had I not flipped them I'd jack directly under the center of the leafs. I would agree with the comment that it's safer than trying to jack up from the frame which especially on my rig is way too high.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I put my bottle jack under the axle, directly under the spring and just barely lift the tire off the ground. Always have, always will. May not be according to recommendations. But more stable than using blocks and/or extending the jack enough to lift the frame enough to get that same tire off the ground.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to place the jack underneath the spring shackle.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I always use under the spring hangers on all trailers that I've had.

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
The frame, always the frame and never the axle.