cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which roof is better?

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Was recently posting on the TC blog about switching out of my fiver to a TC, but with the help of those on that blog, I decided that a more fitting camper for me would be a TT. Now, just curious, is there a consensus regarding what type of roof is better and more resistant to UV and leaks, i.e. fiberglass, rubber, aluminum? The fact is that my next camper, just like my present one, will never be covered so I'm looking to see what peeps think will be the best able to handle the elements under my circumstances?
45 REPLIES 45

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
... it was Jayco which had serious issues for specific model years with their version of TPO roof membrane. KZ never had any issues and as a result neither did I in 6 yrs we owned our 2008 KZ Spree ...

Bumpyroad wrote:
so you are saying that KZ never used felt backed TPO?

"Never" is a l-o-n-g time but certainly my KZ Spree used TPO without a fleece backing, which was easy to determine by just pulling the vent garnish in the bathroom - mine was white on both sides, no fleece backing. Unfortunately Jayco did use fleece backed TPO for a time until customer complaints led to the discovery of this problem. This issue didn't rear it's ugly head until the patent ran out on TPO and other players then got into the game, producing a product that in some cases was problematic for the RV manufacturers. Once Dicor discovered TPO was being produced with varying polymer formulations they developed their 2-part UltraSealant system but in the meantime it was the RV manufacturers who were blamed for this debacle when in fact it was the TPO suppliers who were at fault.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, took a look at the RV roof.com site. Looks like the best roof anyone could hope for. I imagine the cost is pretty high? Anyone have either a sq..ft. or linear foot cost? I'm guessing about $100/linear foot?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
My question is, you have finally found the TT with the size you can tow, the floor plan you like and a price you can afford. The DW loves it.

Are you really going to settle for something else because of the roof material?

yes, absolutely. just keep looking rather than punish yourself, forever thinking, I could have gotten ............. rather than sacrifice my standards I would sacrifice the DW.
when I bought my current TT I could have bought one with more glitter for less money but it had the dreaded rubber roof.
bumpy

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My question is, you have finally found the TT with the size you can tow, the floor plan you like and a price you can afford. The DW loves it.

Are you really going to settle for something else because of the roof material?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
gat75 wrote:

I think you will find that there are practically nothing but TTs with rubber roofs available. Fiberglass would be more durable, you just gonna have a hard time finding fiberglass on anything but MH roof.

lots of small TTs with fiberglass roofs. I wouldn't have another rubber one myself.
bumpy

I was getting ready to make this exact same statement Bumpy, but you beat me to it.

I had a EPDM roof that was properly maintained, not damaged, caulked frequently, etc. and at 5 years service the membrane started failing. Moisture was leaking through the membrane. This is obviously an expensive issue and the 12 year rubber roof warranty that all manufacturers advertise is totally worthless. Try to make a claim and see how far that gets you.

I had my rubber roof replaced with RV Flex Armor (rvroof.com). I will never ever have another rubber roof other than the length of time it takes to take delivery and take it to a rvroof.com install facility.

And now I can even hear the television when it is raining due to the thickness of the RV Flex Armor material.

Ya, but, they have a very limited installation area. If you live nearby that's great. But, what about those of us that are 1000's of miles away ?

Per their website, Locations, they now have 7 authorized install locations. I would drive any distance to get Flex Armor and eliminate the rubber roof concern. TPO or EPDM are both bad news in my book. Both are a ticking time bomb. IMHO
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
I had a EPDM roof that was properly maintained, not damaged, caulked frequently, etc. and at 5 years service the membrane started failing. Moisture was leaking through the membrane. This is obviously an expensive issue and the 12 year rubber roof warranty that all manufacturers advertise is totally worthless. Try to make a claim and see how far that gets you.

SoundGuy wrote:
A misstatement of fact. The 12 yr roof warranty is on the membrane itself, not the trailer roof, and is not offered by "all manufacturers" but rather by the membrane manufacturer which in the majority of cases will be Alpha Systems. If your rubber roof membrane was thinning to the point where it was leaking before the 12 yr mark any claim would have had to have been made to the manufacturer of the membrane.

Bumpyroad wrote:
sort of picking nits here aren't we? it still boils down to an EPDM roof sucking.

Nitpicking? :h Either the roof is covered under warranty for 12 yrs or it's not - the correct answer is that no trailer manufacturer offers a 12 yr warranty on any roof. 12 yr warranties apply solely to the membrane itself and that warranty has nothing to do with the trailer manufacturer which assembled the roof.

As I said earlier I'd personally prefer to not have an EPDM roof but the reality is that the vast majority of trailers are built using this product because it's the most cost effective method ... the fact that we as consumers have to later stand on our heads to ensure our EPDM roof doesn't leak is just one of many issues the RV industry at large should improve upon significantly but we all know that with current sales being what they are we're more likely to see a squadron of flying pigs than meaningful improvement in the RV manufacturing industry. 🙂

If an RV manufacturer prints the roof warranty time period on their literature it certainly implies there is a warranty. Now most of us know this warranty only takes over when the original RV warranty expires however long it may be. Yes, even during the original RV warranty period the RV manufacturer will go to the roof manufacturer to get a problem covered, but the RV manufacturer is the ultimate coverage during their warranty period.

But after the initial RV warranty period has expired you are definitely on your own and with virtually zero roof membrane warranty regardless of what it says in print. My RV dealer told me they had never seen a claim paid by either membrane manufacturer in their 30+ years as a dealer.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
edatlanta - that will be our next big purchase, an RV Flex Armor roof. It will be worth it to us as we plan on keeping our 5W.

I could not agree more. Love my RV Flex Armor.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
edatlanta wrote:

A misstatement of fact. The 12 yr roof warranty is on the membrane itself, not the trailer roof, and is not offered by "all manufacturers" but rather by the membrane manufacturer which in the majority of cases will be Alpha Systems. If your rubber roof membrane was thinning to the point where it was leaking before the 12 yr mark any claim would have had to have been made to the manufacturer of the membrane.

I am very aware of the membrane warranty and who offers it and that it is on the membrane only. I am also very aware of where a claim should be filed. I am also very aware that Alpha Systems offered $227.00 toward replacement of a 5 1/2 year old membrane that was failing. Are you aware of far $227.00 goes toward replacement of a rubber roof?

That is why I went with RV Flex Armor. No more rubber roofs for me EVER!
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is aluminum. I would submit a good choice to have over time.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
edatlanta wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
gat75 wrote:

I think you will find that there are practically nothing but TTs with rubber roofs available. Fiberglass would be more durable, you just gonna have a hard time finding fiberglass on anything but MH roof.

lots of small TTs with fiberglass roofs. I wouldn't have another rubber one myself.
bumpy

I was getting ready to make this exact same statement Bumpy, but you beat me to it.

I had my rubber roof replaced with RV Flex Armor (rvroof.com). I will never ever have another rubber roof other than the length of time it takes to take delivery and take it to a rvroof.com install facility.

And now I can even hear the television when it is raining due to the thickness of the RV Flex Armor material.

Ya, but, they have a very limited installation area. If you live nearby that's great. But, what about those of us that are 1000's of miles away ?

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
this discussion was going on at our winter rv resort. 2 guys had high end Motor homes, one guy had a bounder with a rubber roof and I have the alpenlite with the rubber roof. the first two said I would never have a rubber roof on anything. Well both were having a leaking issue at that time. The rubber roof for the 3rd guy and myself never had a leak.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Incorrect - it was Jayco which had serious issues for specific model years with their version of TPO roof membrane. KZ never had any issues and as a result neither did I in 6 yrs we owned our 2008 KZ Spree ... wouldn't have any hesitation whatsoever recommending a used KZ to anyone. :B

so you are saying that KZ never used felt backed TPO?
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I understand one downside to TPO can be the felt-like backing and if moisture gets to the underside of the TPO and trapped, it can damage the roof deck.

Bumpyroad wrote:
I believe it was KZ that used that felt backed TPO so that is one thing to worry about if you are buying an older kz.

Incorrect - it was Jayco which had serious issues for specific model years with their version of TPO roof membrane. KZ never had any issues and as a result neither did I in 6 yrs we owned our 2008 KZ Spree ... wouldn't have any hesitation whatsoever recommending a used KZ to anyone. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a C older than 10 years with an aluminum roof; never leaked. I had an A older than 10 years with rubber, and now two FWs with rubber. None have ever leaked. Never had fiberglass.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

I understand one downside to TPO can be the felt-like backing and if moisture gets to the underside of the TPO and trapped, it can damage the roof deck.

S .

I believe it was KZ that used that felt backed TPO so that is one thing to worry about if you are buying an older kz. Or Jayco per. soundguy
Bumpy