cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind flexes the roof on cab

rtbmrgl
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a 2007 Chevy 3500 Classic extended cab, 2009 AR 990. There is about an 8 inch gap between the cab-over and top of truck roof. Speeds above 50 I hear and feel the top of the cab flexing slightly from wind. Any ideas how to stop this, do you think a bug deflector may change the wind pattern to stop it.

My 2000 F350 didn't have this problem, the distance was closer though.

Thanks,
Thanks, Mark
Roseville, ca
2009 AF990 camper
2007 Chevy 3500 Classic LBZ, Aero Tank-62 gal.
Bilstein 24 Torklift StableLoad.TorkLift Tie Downs.
Edge CTS-2 Evo.Tire-Safeguard
GL1800 75 Norton 73 Honda CB500k,
74 DT360 76 Bultaco 68 Yamaha YG5T
99 KDX220
4 REPLIES 4

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2005 roof oil cans in gusty winds with the camper on. I roll the windows up and turn the fan up and that usually stops it.

Opening the rear window might stop the repeated oil canning but I guessing that’s because the roof stays bent down. The high pressure above the cab doesn’t go away by decreasing the in cab pressure.

rtbmrgl
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
If your 2007 is the old style, the roof flexing happens when the drivers window is down. If you have a extended or crew cab you can eliminate the flexing by opening the rear windows. The newer GM’s have reinforcing ribs to stop the flexing.

Thanks, your absolutely correct, I only hear it with the drivers window down, apparently the cab slightly holds pressure and keeps the cab from flexing. I'll try the opening of the rear window next trip.

Also the Airtab thing is interesting.

Maybe I can rig up a drywall ceiling support, that might do it. :R
Thanks, Mark
Roseville, ca
2009 AF990 camper
2007 Chevy 3500 Classic LBZ, Aero Tank-62 gal.
Bilstein 24 Torklift StableLoad.TorkLift Tie Downs.
Edge CTS-2 Evo.Tire-Safeguard
GL1800 75 Norton 73 Honda CB500k,
74 DT360 76 Bultaco 68 Yamaha YG5T
99 KDX220

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
If your 2007 is the old style, the roof flexing happens when the drivers window is down. If you have a extended or crew cab you can eliminate the flexing by opening the rear windows. The newer GM’s have reinforcing ribs to stop the flexing.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's only a suggestion with no proven evidence, but you might consider applying a few Airtabs to either the cab roof or the underside of the cabover.
AIRTABS
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats