cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter camping in a BigFoot 1500 8.2 Truck Camper

Mtn_lion
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I read a lot of posts on winter camping and some say you can use water in tanks and some say not to. I am planning on making a trip to Yosemite Valley or Sequoia's at the end of Dec-2014.

Any advise from those that regularly winter camp would be really appreciated. Do you think I can keep water in the tank and use everything or should I empty everything. I just want to have a great time with my wife and son out snow shoeing in the snow.

All tips are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
10 REPLIES 10

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure you will camp under similar conditions in the future. May as well get prepared.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Mtn_lion
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for great info. I think I will eventually add the tips given to my camper. But it sounds like I should be good between the camper heater and the wave3 keeping it warm. We are only going for 2-3 nights. Thanks again for the great advise. I really do appreciate it. If the wife is happy (warm), life is always good.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, the Wave heater will not heat the tanks, wet bays, etc like the ducted heat is designed to do.

Bigfoot campers are built with the BC winter in mind - a mild one is worse than a cold Sierra winter. Pretty rare for it to get below 10 or 20 here. I have just kept the thermostat set on 55 or so in all three of the Bigfoots I have owned, and haven't had a problem.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the Pipe Wrap Insulation insulation on all of my water lines. It is available for different size pipes. I added Styrofoam insulation in several places. I think the fiberglass insulation is a waste of time. I removed the bottom panel (under the TC) to access the holding tanks. I insulated the water lines and added Styrofoam around the tanks. I used this Foam in difficult areas. While the underside is open, check where the heater duct empties into the tank area. I extended my duct to dump on the drain valves, which were on the opposite side of the valves/tank.

I also made window inserts/covers using Double Reflective Insulation. I also use this in the summer to block the super hot sun out.They easily store under my mattress until needed. Actually you could use this material in several places.

With my Wave3, I definitely leave a couple of windows open about a 1/2" or more. I only see two settings on the Wave, low and high. I use open windows to control the temperature, but also reduce humidity. I leave a window by my pillow slightly open for fresh air while sleeping and also leave the dinning table window slightly open to allow air flow. I installed a Window/Maxx years ago. Absolutely great, wind rain or whatever. I never completely close the window.

I never fully close the bathroom vent, always open a little. I have a vent cover for the bathroom vent. The one I have is this Turbo/Maxx Deluxe Model without the fan. I replaced my bathroom fan with a Fantastic type unit.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Mtn_lion
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate all the suggestions. We are planning on heading to the snow and test out the camper for a couple of days around New Years.

Yes my fresh water tank is inside the camper and there is a heater duct into the Black/Grey tank area. I will spend sometime adding insulation in various areas and cover windows and vents. I will need to crack open one or two vents slightly for the new wave-3 cat heater I am going to add.

Thanks again for all the info. Also please keep it coming if you have more advise and suggestions. The more the better for everyone to learn from.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to winter camping with full utilities (water tank, hot water, non-winterized gray and black tanks) it is always good to be conservative at first until you get some experience with your own camper.

We bought several wireless thermometers and placed them in various parts of our winterized camper to determine how cold those areas got, prior to running with full utilities. We installed 3-way valves in the plumbing to the outside shower and the city water line so they could be isolated and drained, while still having water everywhere else. Finally the location of your gray and black tank and their valves are another consideration. Ours are in a heated basement.

Weather in the Sierra in December has a large range from cold with snow levels in the foothills (~1,500 ft) or it can be warm and raining at 9,000 feet. It just depends. Always better to have data than opinions.

If you have time, you might make a trial run to Mountain High Ski area out side of Wrightwood, CA this weekend to test things out. Their North or West mountain base areas are around 7,000 feet and it is supposed to be snowy this weekend and then warm up again.

After that I'm sure you will come up with a long list of places to insulate / cover / seal to make it more enjoyable, so you can stay out longer. We can stay in one place about 5 days before we run out of water / gray tank capacity, and go through 20 lbs of propane while keeping the hot water tank running and the inside at 70 ยฐF.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 11.5c 1500 series 1988 Bigfoot. I have experienced 20 degree temps for two weeks with no issues on the fresh water tank. My water tank is inside the TC, as yours probably is. After a couple of weeks, the gray and black dump valves were froze. After they thawed, I put a couple of quarts of RV anti-freeze in the two tanks. No problems since then.

My guess is, if your setup is such you can run your furnace, you will have no problem. You probably have one duct that goes to your holding tanks. It is not needed for your fresh water. Usually, the problem comes in when you are not connected to shore power and run out of battery for the furnace.

Wayne

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
We ski out of our camper(old timer) And we do not use our tanks.Instead we have a porta potti and use the square plastic water jugs.We put a basin in our sink for washing dishes etc. Its not that bad. You sure use a lot less water.We use it in temps down to about -25c but have been out in minus 40 But had a electric space heater as well as the furnace running.We have used our trailer at -8c without any problems
but it has heated tanks(Basement has ducted heat)
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
My biggest thing is to find a place to fill or dump so I drain the tanks and dry camp. This also saves the whoops we froze up worries. If you know of a place to dump then use the toilets but for me I would still use a bucket and not the water system.

One thing that I came across this spring (when we had water problems) was a water pump that attaches to the top of the a water jug (the type designed for the water coolers). It works GREAT and if the jug happens to freeze no big deal.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Mtn lion,

Big Foot campers are well insulated and Yosemite (esp. the valley) and Sequoia usually don't get all that cold. So I think you will be fine using your built in tanks.

Some tips:
- Don't leave a hose outside with water in it.
- Keep your heater on and, if really cold, leave cabinet doors (really doubt you will have to do this though)open at night.
- Crack open a vent and window to reduce condensation.
- Bring along a shovel, chains, and ice scraper.
- Have fun.

Steve