cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wow is my truck fast. I bought it used so not bragging.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I almost never getting to drive my truck without the TC on it.

Today, after safely arriving in Florida from a 1600 mile trip with a TC and a 12' trailer full of stuff on the truck, I finally got to drive it by itself.

It's got a straight pipe, Edge performance computer, plus all the mods for the weight.

So I thought I'd see what it can do. I was going hard. I can spin the tires a bit in almost every gear. And that's not popping the clutch. That's proper shifting with no torque applied until my foot is off the clutch pedal. Then press the accelerator and the tires lose grip a little in every gear but 6th, as it pushes you back in the seat. . Around 1800+ RPMs it feels like the power band of a dirt bike.

I was going 80 with everyone on the highway today and let it creep up to 90. Then I floored it. It STILL pushed me back in my seat.

Way too squirrely to push any harder than that without the TC on the back. Suspension and wheels and tires way too stiff and bouncy for it to be safe to push it any faster.

I assume some of you with modded diesel trucks can relate.

This thing is WAY more powerful than my first car was. A Mustang 5.0 Gt.

Iโ€™m astounded the difference the diesel torque makes when you use it for speed.

Before anyone yells at me, I'm done being a maniac. Just wanted to see what she can do. Cruised comfortably at 75 with TC and 12' trailer for 1600 miles. Cruises comfortably at 80 all day long with the TC. Empty, it's a freaking* rocketship. Unbelievable acceleration.

Just felt like sharing in case others have modded trucks.
28 REPLIES 28

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Keep this traction issue in mind on wet roads. My truck on wet roads is o.k. until my tires rollover painted lines. If I got any pedal at all, that tire will spin. It's pretty hard to drive on wet roads because of that. Intersections are worst because of the thick white lines for crosswalks and such. As I drive over a cross walk wet,my tires break loose and I just gotta get off the throttle.

Google sulastic hangers.
I put those on my dually and even they did not make it Mercedes ride, it did make very noticeable difference when driving over street covers.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I had to go back and look at your past posts to see if you ever indicated what you are driving. I found this information from one of your prior posts.

"I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab short bed. It's got an Arctic Fox 811, 4569lbs, fully loaded and wet, in the bed.... The 2500 is all modded out with ridiculously over spec rims and tires, extra leafs in the rear springs, exhaust brake and air bags. It's already set up with a frame mounted towing hitch...."

It's nice to hear great success stories like yours when folks match up their truck for the intended job and are absolutely thrilled with the results! Sounds like you are one of them and have a "Match made in heaven!"

Enjoy that "ride!" Life is sweet!

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
I've hit 110 mph easy with the camper on and a Hypertech programmer, becoming one with the wind...of a hurricane, on an empty stretch of road in SE Utah. Had it programmed to top out at 118 mph.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Someday, when I'm in Utah, I'm going to swing by the Bonneville Salt Flats and just flat out open my truck up, just to see what it feels like. I understand that for most of the year, anyone can drive on it as long as it's not closed because it's too wet or because speed weeks are running.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
ppine wrote:
A few mods can make a big difference, especially with the older diesels. I refer to my 7.3 as "the hot rod Ford."

I refer to my 7.3 as the coal burner.....lol

I never mash mine empty. Michelin's are too expensive to pave the road with. Besides, I'm old.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Some of these comments really make me smile. As far as the 95 mph limit a tune will/can do away with that. It's always fun to have someone playing around with you while you jump ahead then drop back alongside. Frustrates the heck out of them. LOL

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few mods can make a big difference, especially with the older diesels. I refer to my 7.3 as "the hot rod Ford."

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œCruised comfortably at 75 with TC and 12' trailer for 1600 miles. Cruises comfortably at 80 all day long with the TCโ€

Did you try stopping quickly? 400 feet in a well maintained car/pickup at 80 mph. Truck with camper...550? Add a small trailer...650?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
HadEnough wrote:
Empty, it's a freaking* rocketship. Unbelievable acceleration.

My 2017 PSD is stock. It also has more power than anything I've owned in the past. Unbelievable.

Even with the camper on it pushes me back in the seat.

- Mark0.

X2 with my 2017 Ram Cummins. These big 3 trucks are fast and powerful!

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Keep this traction issue in mind on wet roads. My truck on wet roads is o.k. until my tires rollover painted lines. If I got any pedal at all, that tire will spin. It's pretty hard to drive on wet roads because of that. Intersections are worst because of the thick white lines for crosswalks and such. As I drive over a cross walk wet,my tires break loose and I just gotta get off the throttle.

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing the power you gain when you aren't hauling a barn door down the road! I swear my 6.4 hemi feels like I'm driving a Z06 Corvette after I unload my camper!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
HadEnough wrote:

My 2017 PSD is stock. It also has more power than anything I've owned in the past. Unbelievable.

- Mark0.

Did you ever really try it.:?
They have 95 mph governors, what makes barely past 1/2 of tachometer scale.
One of the slowest vehicles I owned in last 40 years.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I know what you mean. Same here. My'93 Dodge Cummins is boosted alot for hauling. Bigger turbo, high capacity injectors, large free flowing exhaust, timing bumped up, injection pump turned up, trans built, and a DTT tourque converter. I rarely drive it empty, but when I do, it's so fun to floor it from a dead stop. It goes!
Kinda like the guy who weighs 500 pounds, then loses 300# and is really strong.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:

- Mark0.