cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v DC Air Conditioning Conversion Progress

adamis
Nomad
Nomad

Well, I'm knee deep into my Spring camper project. I posted about this earlier about all of the work I plan on doing but this update is specifically to the AC conversion. As a recap for those that didn't see my initial post, I am removing the roof AC unit and replacing with a under the dinette 12v DC unit. This is going in place of the furnace (which is being replaced with a Wave 3 Catalytic heater and is sufficient for my climate).

The AC unit I purchased off of Aliexpress for around $550 plus $250 in shipping. The price seems to fluctuate quite a bit by the way so if your interested in this project, keep checking those prices often. One note... This unit is actually a 24v DC unit but they include a 24v to 12v converter if you order it that way.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804887330541.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.7eff1802...

So far the install has been fairly reasonable. The most difficult part is needing to change how the outside air is routed. This unit has the outside air vents on the bottom of it (for install in a van conversion where it would pull from air through the floor. I didn't want to cut any fiberglass to vent the air downwards so I'm rerouting the air to go out the side to make use of the existing hatch for the old furnace. The biggest part of my time is spent puzzling through how I'm going to fit the various pieces and what type of ducting I'm going to use.

I am recording all of this and will eventually have a video on YouTube to show how I did it for anyone else contemplating the same project.

For anyone wondering why bother doing this? Many reasons I suppose. First, I couldn't stand how tall the existing roof top AC looks on the camper. It stands out like a sore thumb. It's also susceptible to low hanging branches. It is a lot of mass high up on the camper impacting ride handling. It is inefficient and loud. The best part is that this new unit I will be able to run on battery and solar for most of my needs thus making it way more useful.

adamis_0-1714496643024.pngadamis_1-1714496787485.png

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
19 REPLIES 19

interesting, they are pretty vage on ali express on any detais on how it works, but at full power 70amps (12V DC) thats not to bad, I was looking at a roof top unit made by the same company that uses freon and is a 12V system, but its only 2200 btu of cooling, and uses 60amps at 12V on max power.   

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

On my unit, internally it actually runs on 24v. If you purchase the 12v unit, they provide a 12v to 24v converter. This actually is pretty nice because I was able to put the converter really close to my battery compartment and I'll snake the 24v lines through the camper.

I measured about 50 amp draw on high on the 12v side. I'm working on wiring now as I am going to make the face mounted control panel remote so I can move it somewhere visible. Once I have that done I'll be doing more testing and get more testing information.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

ya I saw that about the 24v, I would almost be tempted to do a 24V or 48V battery setup if I had that.   

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

ok so I don't see a listing for what type of freon it uses so it much be one that you add water ?  so basicly a fancy swamp cooler.  if this is the case how are you going to controle the moistuere in the rv? 

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

No, it is not a swamp cooler. It is an actual AC unit.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper