cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what did you do to your Truck Camper today?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I saw these threads in some of the other Open Roads RV Forums, but didn't see one for TCs.

I'll start...

I installed Interior LED puck lights and a 12v power outlet.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
3,114 REPLIES 3,114

umpqua
Explorer
Explorer
Drove from Portland to San Francisco on Thursday/Friday. Attended a Bar Mitzvah and associated festivities. Drove back Sun/Mon. First trip of season.
2006 Ford F350
2004 Bigfoot 2500 10.6

noxinnhoj
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaned up the lance after our first(local)trip of the year.Weather was good,awesome weekend and best of all everything worked in the tc after a long wet winter.We saw a few t.c,s on our trip home on hwy 99 north,even passed a new northern lite on a brand new ford,they were really taking it easy on the throttle,new owners I think....better safe than sorry
1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

seraphim
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the Torklift tie downs on the new truck. Only a couple of hours, though I learned a few lessons on the first. Can't get a air powered tool onto the biggest bolt due to space limitations. Had to to tighten those two on the front by hand,

My muscles will be sore in the morning...
2012 GMC 3500HD Crew Cab LB 4x4 DRW with Duramax 6.6 diesel
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902.
[

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
On my son's Lance 820 -

Fixed the oven pilot light on the Atwood oven. Was stopped up with a spider egg sack. Biscuits next trip out!

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Built a pass-thru window that the DW can operate from inside the truck as well as inside the camper. She can get through the 14x16 opening. Saves me from having to stop after she drinks her morning coffee.

The truck has an electric sliding window. If I need some peace and quiet............:)

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the Group-24 wet cells with two 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
nkrantz wrote:

I just leave mine on all the time. Is there a reason I should be shutting it off. It really does not run til I turn on the faucet

I'm just paranoid about my batteries and prefer to turn everything off before I leave the camper, especially when I know I'm going to be gone for many hours.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

QualitySnowman
Explorer
Explorer
I started to put the stereo in my Lance 835 last night. Turns out all the wiring is already there and hooked up, just have to cut the cabinet for the stero and the ceiling for the speakers. There is framework to mount to behind.

The catch? The framework for the stereo is just a bit bigger than a conventional stereo. No worries, I shimed the mount in square, and I'm going to trim it in matching oak cove molding. Should be pretty classy looking after. I'll probably box the system monitor in moulding too so they match and look good. Front speakers over the bed are tonight. Install video coming soon...

~82 Brian "QualitySnowman" Snowden :C

~06 Ram 2500HD Quad 4x4 Laramie 8' Cummins 5.9 - 5" w/o Muff or Cat, Prog, 35's, Intake.
~13 Streamlite 27RKS 32' Champagne Ed.
~07 Honda Rancher 420 EFI 4x4 - 2" Lift, ITP 212 Alloys & 26" MudLite XTR, 2.5k Winch, Camo

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
dakonthemountain wrote:

I want to do this also for those beach/desert trips. Question: is this a bypass switch you can use instead of the one inside, with the one inside also working separately?

Dak

It's wired in parallel with the inside switch so either will turn the pump on. Unfortunately that means they both have to be off to disable the pump. That's the main reason I went for a lighted switch so I can verify the status of the outside switch at a glance. I ran the wires from my switch to the inside switch, then used fast-on adapters to piggyback the wires.
Dan

nkrantz
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
Added a water pump switch to my outside shower. The main reason I wanted an outside shower was for the times I come back after fishing and need to rinse the mud off before getting in the camper. Sadly, when I wanted to do that last time out I realized I needed to get into the camper to turn on the water pump first. Problem solved. You can't tell from the pic but it is a lighted switch so I'll have a reminder to turn it off when I'm done.

I just leave mine on all the time. Is there a reason I should be shutting it off. It really does not run til I turn on the faucet
AF 1140 2 optima yellow tops Honda eu3000 honda eu 2000 companion

2012 Ram 3500 DRW Roadmaster Sway Bar, Airbags, stableloads, superhitch, Buckstop bumper, carli lift, Alcoa's with 3970lb toyo AT's

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
Added a water pump switch to my outside shower. The main reason I wanted an outside shower was for the times I come back after fishing and need to rinse the mud off before getting in the camper. Sadly, when I wanted to do that last time out I realized I needed to get into the camper to turn on the water pump first. Problem solved. You can't tell from the pic but it is a lighted switch so I'll have a reminder to turn it off when I'm done.

I want to do this also for those beach/desert trips. Question: is this a bypass switch you can use instead of the one inside, with the one inside also working separately?

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan

H2oSprt
Explorer
Explorer
Added Go Power Solar kit and a radio. Getting her ready for two weeks in Yellowstone this summer!
15 expedition El ecoboost

2008 Jayco 12hw

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the nut part of my cold water line split in half (not parallel to the pipe, but perpendicular) at where it T's into the water heater and leak several gallons of water all over the camper.

Replaced the bad section of line with brass sharkbites and new half-inch 100PSI rated white pex pipe.

When I have time to get more fittings, I will scrap the rest of the grey polybutylene pipe that is the cold water system and completely convert to shark bite pex fittings and 100psi rated pex pipe to eliminate the possibility of a repeat.

Hot water is not affected as it's using a galvanized steel main backbone still and flexible stainless steel mesh reinforced flexible connectors (Though the one from the water heater to the line will be replaced with pex pipe to remove the line restriction).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
Had a bad wire to the slideout switch. Had that exact problem before, at home before leaving on a trip, but it got fixed "on its own" and left a day later than planned. It got fixed like you open a broken camera, you don't find anything and close it again and it works... And it kept on working for half a year, in this case.

Yesterday I had the same problem again, luckily only a few miles from home and not on a real trip. Closed it manually and went back home to search for the problem. Found a wire that didn't provide the battery juice, while it should.

Unfortunately I couldn't replace the wire, because it was unreachable at some point, so had to take the 12V from the slideout main wire instead and secure the new wire with an inline fuse. Just before attaching the new wire, the old one came back to life again...but I chose to remove it anyway. Now the slideout works perfectly again and hope it stays that way now.

Almost forgot: also installed a dome type satellite dish. It keeps on tracking the chosen satellite, even when driving, so we can record programs while being on the move.

And another project is coming soon: connecting the sat receiver (wireless, including IR-remote) to a free input of our rearview camera system, so the passengers can watch tv while being on the road, since the dish stays locked onto that satellite anyway, while driving. Ofcourse, how good it's going to work is going to depend on the amount of trees, houses, bridges,...that block the signal on that road. If it works or not: I'll post it here.
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel (DRW Crew cab Long bed)
Sonnax TQ and Sonnax 4R100 rebuild - 6.0 transmission cooler and OTW cooler.

2011 Arctic Fox 992 - 2.5kW propane generator - 315AH Trojan batteries - 2kW pure sine wave inverter - 140Wp solar