cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper Jacks

Randall_Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have problem with freezing HappiJac jacks? I have replaced two motor assemblies and have another going bad. I know there is a new style motor and I am wondering if it is better and a direct replacement of the old style.
22 REPLIES 22

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can someone explain the O ring? Mine was broken in 2 pieces when I disassembled. Someone said the O ring goes between the square plate and the round housing the the spring is wrapped around. My question is what locates the O ring? It's ID is approximately 1". The square plate has nothing to retain the O ring. I'm probably overlooking something.
I requested an assembly drawing in my email to Happijac. No response yet.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got the acme threads all greased up with marine grease. The inner tube shows signs off dragging on the outer tubes. Not sure what the cure is. I checked for straight with a framing square and looked OK.

Sent an email to Happijac requesting prices for the plastic disengagement piece, the o ring, and the plastic tabs that retain the square plastic guide. I'll take the other front jack off the camper and start soaking the tubes upside down.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

7_3driver
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I broke the head of the push in pins also, if you notice that the disingagement shaft has a slot in it, you can use a flat blade screw driver to pry the rest of the pin out.
I also chucked up a 3/8 drive (3 in.) extension in to a cordless drill (backwards) to run the leg screw in and out once you get the bottom gear out.

I got Happi-jack to send me a pdf file with the part numbers available.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
8# sledge hammer work all morning. I soaked the tubes upside down overnight with Kroil. Beat on the foot all morning trying to separate them. At first maybe 1/8" per whack. Then it got better and better. Actually bent the foot and cracked at least one weld. But I got them separated. Lots of dirt and excretement. Collateral damage was the little white plastic tab opposite the disengage lever. I watched a youtube of a guy taking the tubes apart and he attacked the little tab with a screwdriver and a hammer. So I did too. Should have known better, he didn't know a circlip from a cotter pin. Also the o ring came out in 2 pieces.
I might pour some CLR in the upper tube and see if it cleans up.
I'm turning the acme rod and soaking it in penetrating oil to clean it up. It seemed surprisingly clean.
Sent an email to Happijac requesting parts.
Will take the other front jack off and at least start soaking it.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
7.3driver wrote:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22881036.cfm

I bought a 2000 Bigfoot 25c10.6 a couple of months ago and had to replace 2 of the complete assemblies (motor and jacks) and the other two electric motors. Had to take those two jacks apart, clean and lube the threaded rods, made a big difference (was binding). The link above helped me.

Yes! That is the thread I was looking for.
Thanks!
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
54suds wrote:
go to july 2010 will show hj cut apart link

Wants to sign in to google photos.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

7_3driver
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22881036.cfm

I bought a 2000 Bigfoot 25c10.6 a couple of months ago and had to replace 2 of the complete assemblies (motor and jacks) and the other two electric motors. Had to take those two jacks apart, clean and lube the threaded rods, made a big difference (was binding). The link above helped me.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got it broke down to the last gear. It's being stubborn so I have it soaking in Kano Kroil. Go at it again tomorrow.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
go to july 2010 will show hj cut apart link
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
There is a thread on taking apart the jacks. It is helpful as you need to fab a little hook to disassemble and it's super easy with the instructions.
Just because you see grease on top on the gears means nothing. That's not where they corrode first. it's the big screw in the leg that gets crusty first in my experience.
The ratcheting could be due to the above, or if only 1 front jack ratcheting, on mine, the camper is a bit twisted and actually overloading 1 jack. Some adjustment in height between the jacks gets everything working again.
Hope this helps.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
heres 1
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just discovered my Happijac issue this afternoon. Mine are ratcheting like they are overloaded. I got the 2 rear jacks to work, I think. The fronts are 4500's. All are 2008 vintage with vertical motors. I used a 1/2" allen socket on a 1/2" drive ratchet and couldn't move them manually. Lever was in down position. So I cribbed up under the camper and used a car floor jack to lift one front jack off the ground. It still won't turn manually or engaged to the motor. The motor spins fine with the jack disengaged. Even tried a cheater bar a little bit. I took the motor covers off and all looks well. Still has a good bit of my white lithium grease on the gears.
The camper is under a Classic Accessories cover when not used. I keep small plastic buckets over the front jacks. Camper has not been used for over a year.
I thought there was a thread on here about rebuilding the jacks. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.
Moderator if you want to start a new thread, go for it.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do need to replace a motor be sure to get the new style. The motor is vertical and under a solid cover. The old style motor depended on a seal to keep water out. When I looked at the two motors of mine that failed, there was corrosion and some water in the canisters due to failure of the seals.

Iceworm
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace one of my Happijack drive units recently. I contacted the company and requested to buy just a replacement electric motor as the gear assembly etc was fine, just the motor was seized. There was no reply from them, the silence was deafening!! Too bad they seem to be the only company producing these motor assemblies, some competition might help! I managed to get the motor apart after soaking the two through bolts for 3 weeks in penetrating oil to see what was going on with the corrosion issue. It was amazing how badly corroded the inside was. I did get the motor working again and it will be my backup unit when one of the other 3 seizes up!
If I could figure out how to post a photo to this post it would be great.