cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,298 REPLIES 32,298

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Obedience classes are always a good idea, they help the relationship between human and dog, as well as provide guidance and structure for both dog and human. I just signed up for classes for Hannah.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
You have a riding mower, use that to run him.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a 4 wheeler to run him. Good idea on the neighbor kids.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uppercrust wrote:
Do you know any young kids in your neighborhood that could come and really give Buddy a long tiring walk or run? Love how Sue described him!

Or neighbor has a 15 year old girl and a 13 year old boy that might could help.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, sounds just like Hannah. Bought a new floor lamp for my spare room. Left door open. Dog wandered in. Circuit breaker tripped. Lamp cord bitten cleanly in two parts. Dog OK. Cord fixed. Lesson learned. Door closed.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know any young kids in your neighborhood that could come and really give Buddy a long tiring walk or run? Love how Sue described him!
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. I wish I could say all is well, but it's not. I don't know what is wrong with me but I wake up exhausted. Buddy is wearing me down with his constant behavior of wanting attention in any way he can get it. I know he is just a puppy in a grown dog's body, but I am not as young as I used to be and don't seem to be able to over look the small disrupting things in life as I used to. Sue said it well when she said "Its like having a three year old child in an old folks home."

Anyway I will try to remember that gifts should always be appreciated and Buddy is a gift.

We have just about finished sorting things and putting into the motorhome what we can and putting other things in storage. Deciding what goes where has been a chore. Now that things are in the motorhome it has to be sorted and put in the proper places. We have less than half the room in the motorhome than we had in the 5er and we have the left over stuff to prove it.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day, Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Well Buddy keeps us active. Sue bought him a new toy. Its a bar bell made with tennis balls, he loves it. Last night he tried to get in bed with me. When that didn't work he laid down on the floor as close as he could get to the bed He would get up and put his head on the bed and whine and then lay down. This went on for a while until he finally went to sleep. This morning when he finished his breakfast he picked up his bowl and brought it to me either saying I want more or I am finished now.

Suzie isn't happy with the situation and poor Peaches gets jumped on by Buddy trying to play. Hobo hides and only comes out when she wants something. Izzie stands his ground and doesn't give in to Buddy's intrusion.

Buddy is a very smart boy. Nothing gets past him. He is one big bag of joy and playfulness. Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies ahug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dogdiva wrote:
sounds like Buddy is bored.....He is so smart, he needs worked out with training or an agility course to challenge his puppy brain
I would say you hit the nail on the head. If you don't find a way to keep him busy he will find a way to entertain himself.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like Buddy is bored.....He is so smart, he needs worked out with training or an agility course to challenge his puppy brain
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue says Buddy is like having a three year old living in and old folks home.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buddy has no problem with the car. He rides well.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard have you tried taking Buddy for a ride in the car....short trips at first, maybe pare him with Hobo or Peaches

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Gary KONG makes a good hard rubber toy that doesnt chew up easily...I have never used tennis balls after reading how dangerous they are for dogs that chew them up

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of a sudden Buddy has become a different dog. He is into every thing. He will definitely have to be put into a kennel when we leave him alone from now on.

Wife Sue