cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,301 REPLIES 32,301

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Birthday Richard, hope it's a great day.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. We are in for a weather change tomorrow and Monday. The high on Sunday will be 61* and Monday it will be 60*. At lest it won't be cold but rain is in the forecast with the cooler temperatures.

Sue is out for a walk with the girls while Izzie is on the patio deck warming himself in the sunshine. Sunday the Greenville family will join us in church and then we go out for lunch to celebrate.

I hope all is well with everyone and you are having a great weekend. Sue and I are going to the flea market on Whitehorse Road this morning so she can buy some books to read. I am still reading the book "Until Tuesday".

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocky and Cookie send Happy Birthday wishes to Hannah.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
That's okay, Richard, we've all had our challenges with spellchecker; they haven't quite got it right yet. Some typos though are just too funny to resist, and I've known pugs that could be an energy source all by themselves :W

Oh, BTW, today is the day I celebrate Hannah's birthday, and marks exactly 1 1/2 years since I adopted her. She is 3 years old today, and still very much a puppy.

Happy birthday to Hannah.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
That's okay, Richard, we've all had our challenges with spellchecker; they haven't quite got it right yet. Some typos though are just too funny to resist, and I've known pugs that could be an energy source all by themselves :W

Oh, BTW, today is the day I celebrate Hannah's birthday, and marks exactly 1 1/2 years since I adopted her. She is 3 years old today, and still very much a puppy.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. The "pug" should have been "plug". I guess my typo's are getting worse lately. When I post using the phone it sometimes puts in words it thinks I want. It can change the whole meaning of a sentence if I am not careful in editing the post before I post it.

This morning it is just beautiful outside. The fresh mowed lawn looks good. We have had rain lately making every look good and refreshed outside. I damaged the deck on the mower yesterday when I turn and hit a big root of a Pine Tree. One of the braces that supports one of the wheels that keeps the deck level got bent really bad. I tried to straighten it as best I could, but it isn't right so I will have to take it to the shop and get it repaired. The brace is welded to the deck so I don't know what they can do to fix it.

I saw on facebook where three Old Fella dogs were stolen and recovered, glad there was a happy ending to that story.

The fur gang is well this morning. Izzie has gotten better lately. He is such a trooper, hard to keep him down.

Maybe today I will be able to pick up the Montana and start making plans to go see daughter Robin. Sue has gotten interested in Bat Cave, North Carolina near Asheville, we'll see.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.
Hope all is well with everyone and you are planning on a great weekend.

Wife Sue

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good one Gary
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
SGTJOE wrote:
Richard, run the cost of solar panels vs generator. Just a thought?

We have a pug in the camper for solar power hookup. So how many solar panels would it take to power the camper?

So what do Suzie and Hobo think about the pug? :B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dixie Flyer wrote:
SGTJOE wrote:

We have a pug in the camper for solar power hookup. So how many solar panels would it take to power the camper?

Good question, can you talk to a company that sells solar panels? I wouldn't depend on an Rv place.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SGTJOE wrote:

We have a plug in the camper for solar power hookup. So how many solar panels would it take to power the camper?

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toolguy5 wrote:
Richard how often would you use the portable generator?

If it is only when you visite Sue's family is there a place near them you could rent a generator? If the cost benefits renting vs buying?

Just a thought.

I emailed John and asked if he would check into us being able rent a generator while we were there.

Wife Sue

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Richard how often would you use the portable generator?

If it is only when you visite Sue's family is there a place near them you could rent a generator? If the cost benefits renting vs buying?

Just a thought.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. This morning is very nice outside. Yesterday we got more rain so the yard is looking great. I took the camper in for repairs and on the way home I got sick, spent the rest of the day doing nothing but resting. I feel better this morning, whatever it was has passed.

Sue is out with Hobo and Suzie taking their morning walk. Last night we went kind of late but wanted to make sure the girls would be comfortable through the night without worries if having to potty and such.

Izzie is doing well. He ate this morning and talked to us his night and how grateful he was to be fed this morning.

Next week I think we will go to Blakely to visit Robin and her husband Ed. From there we may go to the Gulf. The auxiliary tank is working like it should. This will give us about 600 miles between fuel stops instead of 200 miles.

I looked at portable generators yesterday while I was at Camping World. maybe that is what made me sick. Anyway I just don't know what to do about external power when we don't have electricity this summer when we visit Sue's brother John.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
When Elizabeth had the ITCHIES we used Apequel it worked
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge