cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
32,280 REPLIES 32,280

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, she sounds like a ball of energy. Plowing into things all the time makes me wonder if she has vision problems. Could that be possible or is she just so fast she has no time to correct her line of passage? It was pretty chilly here in North Carolina this morning. No rain tho, happy about that. Charles is supposed to arrive for good this weekend. I will be glad to see him. He acts like someone in his past has abused him. I hope he gets his confidence back when living here.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
aro_sie wrote:
Burch how is Zuzu? is the walking helping her trim up? Is she good on a leash?

ZuZu is doing OK. She still has a slight limp from when she hurt her from leg last week. She does walk well on a leash but I haven't walked her much due to her hurting herself. She flies around like crazy in the house. I am surprised she hasn't hurt herself more. She just plows into things all the time. She is just full of energy.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
My grand daughter and I went and had our eye brows waxed last night. Fun to spend girl time with a grand child. She has a beautiful dog, a blue heeler. He is so funny and loveable. Burch how is Zuzu? is the walking helping her trim up? Is she good on a leash? Dale, I know very little about Scotties. Sounds like your Brandon is very active and playful. you should educate me on them!

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like these medical issues is hard on all of us. My husband died of cancer that first started as colorectal and then spread all over his organs. lung cancer is what finally killed him. He was a great guy. We raised our own 4 daughters and then two other children and right now I have one of them and her daughter living with me. Art, my husband sold the motor home just before he passed away. We both loved traveling in it. We had it for His could use to visit his air traffic control facilities. During the school year I stayed home with the kids. Gracie loved traveling in the rv as did the kids. I am sure I will enjoy Charles' company. He is a rescue and probably grateful for a home and regular meals.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Glad ZuZu is doing better. Liver failure is part of what contributed to my DH's death. But his was caused by taking a medicine for 17 years longer than he needed and it killed the liver. No coming back from that. Glad you were able to turn yours around! It's another condition Scotties are known for and if treated, it doesn't cause much of a problem. Brendon got so much exercise this summer with my sister's dogs that he lost a pound! The vet was very concerned. I said not to worry. If you could have seen him playing every day till he crashed, one would understand! We will see if the supplement does its job.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
ZuZu is better today. She is limping a little but she is walking. She wouldn't walk yesterday.

I had issues with my liver enzymes being elevated. Not sure if its the same with doggies but I went on a diet and started exercising and my enzymes went way down.

I really need to start walking ZuZu because she is getting chubby but she keeps hurting herself. Hopefully she will calm down a bit when she gets older..... But I doubt it!

Burch

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
aro_sie wrote:
Kind of annoying isnt it Scottiemom? Now he has to go thru not feeling well again and have all that testing! I was so lucky with my little yorkie. She was well right up to when I lost her. Her trac collapsed and She and I were in agony. Luckily we were at home and we had her regular vet able to see her and put her down. I have to admit, I cried for her for a couple of days. She has been gone almost 2 years and I still miss her. First time I have been without a dog for years. My grand daughters intended is bringing his dog here to stay next week. A mut, but I really like him.

Yeah, it's annoying for sure. I had one other Scottie with high liver enzymes and he was on Denamarin for years which kept it in check. . . enough. I'm hoping this supplement does its job again.

I know what you mean about missing the dogs. When our last one died, my DH didn't want another right away as we were in the process of moving across the country. Then, just as we got the move completed, DH died. I waited till I was ready, then got another. He is my rock.

Have fun with your granddaughter's doggie.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of annoying isnt it Scottiemom? Now he has to go thru not feeling well again and have all that testing! I was so lucky with my little yorkie. She was well right up to when I lost her. Her trac collapsed and She and I were in agony. Luckily we were at home and we had her regular vet able to see her and put her down. I have to admit, I cried for her for a couple of days. She has been gone almost 2 years and I still miss her. First time I have been without a dog for years. My grand daughters intended is bringing his dog here to stay next week. A mut, but I really like him.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
ZuZu certainly has had her share of problems. Check her paw/nails very carefully. Perhaps she caught a nail on the gate and it tore or jammed a toe. Just a thought, but it seems to be centered on that paw and not the leg from what you said. Wonder if you were able to wrap the paw gently and loosely if that would help.

Had Brendon to the vet the first of the month. His liver enzymes are elevated, a typical problem with Scotties. He had it before and his then vet put him on a liver supplement. By the time I changed vets, his tests were back to normal so the new vet took him off the supplement. I thought that odd, since the supplement obviously made a difference in the liver enzymes. I asked her why she had taken him off of it and she said there was no reason to keep a healthy dog on a supplement. Well, yeah, understood, but we put him on it because he wasn't healthy. So now we are back to the supplement and testing. Ho hum.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about Fatty Sweets weight gain. I think I need whatever it is she is eating. I have a difficult time maintaining my weight. So, I guess the vet would also say to keep her off her legs again for this. It seems it could be her paw is what is her pain. Maybe it will clear up soon. Hugs included for little Miss Fatty Sweets.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
aro_sie wrote:
My goodness Burch, Zuzu certainly has had her share of leg issues. I have to sympathize with her. My knees are givng me fits!

ZuZu is getting quite chubby and I know that is hard on her legs. I think I jinxed her because I had just told my wife last night that now that her back leg is pretty much healed that I wanted to start walking her to burn off some weight. The vet had said to keep her off the back leg as much as possible so she has gained weight. Not an hour after I said that to my wife, she hurt her front leg! She files around like crazy and it's really hard to keep her still. She is either on or off. There is no in-between. She is either running around like crazy or sleeping. She is such a sweetie though. We have been calling her "Fatty Sweets". I think that would be a great name for a BBQ joint!

Burch

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
My goodness Burch, Zuzu certainly has had her share of leg issues. I have to sympathize with her. My knees are givng me fits!

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happy Friday FOOFs

I don't know if ZuZu is just very clumsy or fragile. He back leg that had been bothering her is about 99% healed. Last night I was watching TV after dinner in my den and ZuZu was laying on the floor next to me. She jumped up and ran out of the room and I think she tripped over the gate frame that runs across the floor of the doorway (I have a gate where I can lock the dogs in the den when we are at work). About 5 minutes later, she came back into the den and was really having a hard time walking. She is holding up her right front leg off the ground. She still won't put any weight on the front leg this morning. I had to carry her outside and put her in the yard to do her business this morning. I guess I will give it this weekend and if no better will have to take her to the vet early next week. When she hurt her back leg, I could feel a little "play" in her knee (which is now almost gone). With her front leg, I can bend it and I don't feel anything and it doesn't seem to bother her. My wife was messing with her paw afterwards and initially it seemed ZuZu didn't want her touching her paw so I am wondering if she hurt her paw. I just hate to see the little thing hobbling around.

Here is a picture I took of her a few minutes before she hurt herself. You can see the gate I am referring to in the background.

Burch

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Safe driving!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Enjoying my time at the rally in Natchez. Leaving tomorrow and heading to cousin Gary and Jo's for a few days before heading home.
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5