cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

mpj
Explorer
Explorer
Just my 2 cents worth too! - NOBODY will love that dog the way you do. Keep him. He'll get used to the cat and/or the cat will stay out of his way. We have 2 cats, 2 dogs. 3 from the animal shelter and one found on our campground. One of the dogs was given to us by our daughter who got it from a friend, etc. Anyway, we took it to find a good home for it and I gave my hibby 30 days. 61 days later, he said he found it a home. I said "no dice, I found it a home too! Right here." She had had 4 homes previously and I could not let her go to a 6th (ours being the 5th). We have had her for 5 years and each year she gets happier and happier - tale wags now every day instead of the sadness we saw in her eyes the day we got her. Keep him - you will regret it if you don't. Thanks for listening!
mpj:)

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Okay here is the plan for Old Fellow. Doc Gradous says he wants to keep Old fellow until next Thursday. At that time I can bring him home. I will submit the news paper article next Thursday for print for Wednesday's paper of the next week. I am going to be very selective concerning who will adopt Old Fellow. If I am not satisfied with what I see the wife and I would like to take Old Fellow and give him a home with us. I want to hear from everyone and especially those who gave donations as to your feeling on this.

"Here's me and my new Dad. Dad just thinks he might give me away but obviously that's not in my plans. If you guys think I'm gonna give Dad up, well, I've got an old rotten bone you can have."

"I'll tell you this, I am so grateful to have been rescued that I will try sooooooo hard to please. It may take a little work and patience on both our parts, but me and Dad and my new Mom and new Brother, or is it Sister are gonna be one happy family. Just as soon as I get rid of that cat!!!"

xoxoxoxo,

Old Fella

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer,

THANKS for caring!!!!

Mark and the pack
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh..... For some reason, every time I read these posts about placing this guy in a new home, I'm reminded of a conversation I had about fifteen years ago, about a dog I'd found and was rehabing so I could place him.

I was telling my buddy at work about this, and he said....basically... yeah right, you are not going to give up that dog, you are keeping him. I said, no, no, I'm NOT, I can't, I have a dog, I don't want a second dog, I drive a mustang for pete's sake, there's no ROOM for another dog!!

To which he replied "that's okay, you'll get a station wagon."

Give you three guesses what is in my driveway right now. Sigh... but as irritatingly correct as my buddy was, I have no regrets. That sick, half dead animal who cost me 1300 bucks the first year (and again the second!) was the sort of being its an honor just to meet, and I got to live with him for fourteen years.

Now the point of that story, is this. What my buddy saw in me, we are all seeing in you. You are bonded with this old boy (who looks younger in every shot, btw). And he is bonded to you. Don't take my word for it, go look at the pics you took with him. And then call the paper and tell the nice lady you aren't placing the dog, you're keeping him, but he'll surely make a nice human interest story, no?

And don't worry about what he's got to learn. Trust me on this... been there done that. He's lived on his own for years, he'll figure it out and so will you. And Dale has a good behaviorist you can call, and I have a good communicator you can call.

And you... you have yourself a good dog, mister.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Okay here is the plan for Old Fellow. Doc Gradous says he wants to keep Old fellow until next Thursday. At that time I can bring him home. I will submit the news paper article next Thursday for print for Wednesday's paper of the next week. I am going to be very selective concerning who will adopt Old Fellow. If I am not satisfied with what I see the wife and I would like to take Old Fellow and give him a home with us. I want to hear from everyone and especially those who gave donations as to your feeling on this.

Hi There,
I have been reading all the post everyday since this has started. I have not replied to the post because I wanted to have room for the folks that have been helping and posting. But, now I would like to put my 2 cents in. Please don't put Old Fellow up for adoption. He is your puppy. He has a better life today because of Dixie Flyer Guardian Angle. This dog has some purpose in his life because of your giving heart. And if anyone deserves having Old Fellow it is you and only you.

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fellow looks like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders. He looks relieved. His eyes reflect peace with his world as it is now. Contentment.

Despite having a doctor poke around his tender parts!

I can't help but think that this dog came into your life for some reason. If you adopt him away, you might never know the full reason. Clearly he's attached to you. He trusts you, and he hasn't trusted for a long while. You know and understand his pain, something someone else might not fully appreciate.

I think one old fellow deserves the other Old Fellow ...
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
GreenRiverGroundsHunter wrote:
Well, my contribution is on it's way direct to the vet, so......

I think Old Fellow needs to stay with you! (For a couple of reasons...)
1. We all know you want him!
2. We want to continue hearing about him and having him be a part of us!
3. I feel sad thinking that Old Fellow is growing attached to you and then he will have to leave you. Obviously this is a big (HUGE) change in his life (for the better, of course!) and you are one of the constants in his life now. I think he would be SAD without you!

(And I am saying all of this in a "loving, not judging" way, so please don't read any ill feelings in where there are none intended.)

and 4. YOU referred to YOURSELF as the proud new dad!

Me Thinks your mind is made up - I'm sure no one here would have an issue with you cancelling the newspaper story and letting your home be his forever home!

Well, since someone else stepped up and said this...I agree.

Wouldn't you just be worried to death wondering about him?

And please read mine "loving and not judging" also. I have typed the same thing several times in PM's over the past couple days, but they "didn't sound right." And of course, no one here will have an issue with whatever you decide, either way.

You are truly a special person.

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

GreenRiverGroun
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my contribution is on it's way direct to the vet, so......

I think Old Fellow needs to stay with you! (For a couple of reasons...)
1. We all know you want him!
2. We want to continue hearing about him and having him be a part of us!
3. I feel sad thinking that Old Fellow is growing attached to you and then he will have to leave you. Obviously this is a big (HUGE) change in his life (for the better, of course!) and you are one of the constants in his life now. I think he would be SAD without you!

(And I am saying all of this in a "loving, not judging" way, so please don't read any ill feelings in where there are none intended.)

and 4. YOU referred to YOURSELF as the proud new dad!

Me Thinks your mind is made up - I'm sure no one here would have an issue with you cancelling the newspaper story and letting your home be his forever home!
2005 Jay Feather 29Y
2004 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
5 Happy Campers
2 Camping Labs

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fellow looks downright happy!!!! And so do you. ๐Ÿ™‚

If we weren't "animaled out," I'd be pushing hubby to come and get him!

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:
needsomefun wrote:

Old Fella sez "things are looking up!!"

"This is my injured foot - it's much better now, thank ya'll"

Here's some more recent pics"
[i
mg]http://usera.imagecave.com/needsomefun/stuff/photo11.jpg[/img]

The pictures were made at the kennel this very day. That old fellow that is on bended knee is the proud new Dad [Dixie Flyer} of Old Fellow the dog.

Wife Sue

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
needsomefun wrote:

Old Fella sez "things are looking up!!"

"This is my injured foot - it's much better now, thank ya'll"

Here's some more recent pics"
[i
mg]http://usera.imagecave.com/needsomefun/stuff/photo11.jpg[/img][/quote

Thanks for posting the update and pictures. This made my day.. Where were these pictures taken if you don't mind me asking? and who is the nice looking gentleman with Old Fellow? ๐Ÿ™‚ Old fellow is in my prayers in the coming days. Thanks again...Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Modocmohawk wrote:
Rest assured that all of us at the campground cared for the dog and made sure he was fed, altho, we didn't try to corner him or catch him.

Thank you for posting! Your story makes sense to me. I believe Old Fellow was "comfortable" there with what he had...but I am thrilled he will now have better.

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

Modocmohawk
Explorer
Explorer
:B
Thanks to Rich for rescuing 'Old Fellow' formerly known as Blackie. and thanks to members of this fourm for assisting in the $$$ part of it.
The horse rancher never did own this dog, they simply put out enough food for their dog so there would be enough for old Fellow, he also slept at times in their barns, and btw the horses are well cared for. We have been feeding Old Fellow for a couple of years, he let us pet him but shied away if we tried to get too close to him, he played with our dog but was standoffish when I tried to put flea and tick stuff on him, and it took several attempts to get him to come to me again so I could give him food and treats. I think he is getting very spoiled now with all the pampering and I am thankful for that. God Bless all of you and Rich.

I don;t know who called claiming to be the horse rancher, but I can assure you he did not make that call; someone has a sick sense of humor to create such a furor when Rich was trying to do a good deed. Rest assured that all of us at the campground cared for the dog and made sure he was fed, altho, we didn't try to corner him or catch him.

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer, You gave us the opportunity to help. So, Thank you. He really does look better.

DIXIESMAMA