cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I talked with Susanne Fogle for about an hour and a half this morning. Susanne is an author living in St. Louis Mo. and she is wanting to write the story of Old Fellow. She is writing a column this weekend for Saturday's paper where she lives about Old Fellow.

She wants to talk with everyone who has been involved with this thread and especially those who donated money. She would like to talk with the person who had the very first response to the thread. Also she wants to talk with the first person who offered to help with the vet bill.

I have asked Needsomefun to post the link to her website so that you can look at her biography. When you go to the website scroll down to her name {Susanne Fogle}.

Her Phone number is 314 868 5464

If she doesn't answer the phone leave a message on her answering machine and she will call you back.

Her email address is: susannefogle@aol.com

She would also like to hear from you by email.

She asked me what I thought about a name for the book. I told her to poll the thread and let them suggest a name for the book.

We are changing the spelling of Old Fellow name to Old Fella as she thinks that would read better. What do you think?

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Top_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully he had a few of his 10 years that weren't as bad as the recent past. God Bless you for giving him such a good home, vet care and love. He is surely a lucky dog.
Gloria and Dillon (my Carolina Dingo)
2002 F250 Ford Diesel Crewcab
2003 3670 Montana 5th Wheel

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Top Dog wrote:
Great Story! Without reading all the posts, do you have an approximate age on him?

Our best guess is he is about 10 years old.

Wife Sue

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
CatandJim wrote:

What a great idea!!

Absolutely!

thank_u
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading the post of Old Fellow and everyone of you that have been involved with the rescue, and recovery of one of Gods creatures, I am speechless over the whole ordeal. In the very beginning I thought Oh my this person Dixie Flyer is just opening themselves up to a world of grief, In slamming, criticism, and everything else. That happens all too often.
I have worried along with the rest of you good people on this forum over Old Fellow, and Dixie Flyer.
Everyone of you are a blessing in my heart I am so full of good thoughts, admiration, for each of you. I apologize that I am not able to express myself and my feelings as well as most of you.
I have sent my contribution for Old Fellows continued care.
I look forward to the newspaper article.
Dixie Flyer
It sounds like to me that Old Fellow has had some kind of obedience training at some time in his lifetime, I suspect in the days to come he will continue to enlighten your life.
I know he is one lucky dog to have a friend like you.

Top_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Great Story! Without reading all the posts, do you have an approximate age on him?
Gloria and Dillon (my Carolina Dingo)
2002 F250 Ford Diesel Crewcab
2003 3670 Montana 5th Wheel

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Heck I'd buy it. This is a great story.
E.Texan

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer

What a great idea!!

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Just when ya think it couldn't get much better . . . . ๐Ÿ™‚
"Old Fellow - A Lucky Dog."

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
GreenRiverGroundsHunter wrote:
Rich and FOOFs (Friends of Old Fellow):

I sent a link to this thread to a local author who writes a column for our town paper (Animal Tales). Her name is Susanne and she has worked with and writes about animal life, both wild and domestic. She has worked in rehabilitation at the Wild Bird Sanctuary in St. Louis and also at the (former) St. Louis Children's Aquarium. She is now devoting her time to her writing. I knew this was a story that she would appreciate.

With her permission, I am posting her response:
Dear Barb,

You just provided me with the best read I've had in a long time. What a story. I wish Rich lived closer us. I would love to turn this into a book. I'm seriously thinking about getting his phone number and attempting do it long distance. We could donate some of the profit to the pitiful Humane Society where he lives. With the thread and the pictures, it's a natural. I bet I could have it finished in a couple of months, and I already have an agent.

How 'bout this? Here's my phone number......if you get my voice mail,(happens when I'm on my computer) just tell me when and I'll return the call.

Maybe Rich could call me. I can call all over the U.S. for free, so I could call him back, and he wouldn't have a phone bill to worry about. I'd also want to interview some of the terrific campers who were part of this miracle of compassion and love. Holy Moly! What a story. Whether you guys are keen on the book idea or not, thanks so much for sharing this with me. You made my day.

Susanne

P.S. Here's another thought. If Rich is okay with it, you could paste this on the thread and get input from the other angels who lived this story. I'd love to hear from some of these folks by phone or email ... whatever works. I'd be happy to provide some writing samples, since unlike you, they haven't been reading my columns for years. What do you think?

Several years ago, in St. Louis, we had Quentin the Wonderdog, who somehow survived the "gas chamber" and went on to be the posterdog for Stray Rescue. I'm thinking that it's Old Fellow's turn to promote the plight of strays everywhere....

Old Fellow and I love it! Just think of all the good this could do for all the Old Fellow's in this world!!

Wife Sue

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
I can picture the movie now. Since this drama plays out in the south and involves overcoming terrible wounds and hardships for love I see it kinda like the Civil War epic "Cold Mountain". Jude Law could play Rich, Nicole Kidman of course would be the Mrs. and starring Old Fellow as himself. it could be titled "Cold Feller" whadaya think??? OK "Cold Feller" does not want to go camping but he is forced to. He thinks, what the heck, I'm here, better do something constructive, and he goes off to bag a squirrel for supper,times are tight. He gets caught in a YANKEE trap and ....

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
SPRey wrote:
No pics here either....hmmmm

Imagecave has been crashing a lot lately. I'd complain 'cept it's free! I'll repost them here in a bit when I get to the office with photobucket.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
No pics here either....hmmmm
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

yankeeblue
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not able to view the new photos...anyone else?
2004 Prowler 270FQS "MY PRECIOUS"
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad 5.9L V8 360 tow package

"Happiness is but a state of mind. Any time you want, you can cross the state line."

We LOVE the RED WINGS! Go Wings!

Our 2004 Prowler photos

GreenRiverGroun
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies and Gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts!! The competition is heating up!

She's darling! As is Dixie Dew!
2005 Jay Feather 29Y
2004 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
5 Happy Campers
2 Camping Labs